You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: When I Was Eight

Real Ghost Stories

When I Was Eight

 

This is my first story on this site or any site for that matter so please forgive me if my story is at all incoherent. Most of my ghostly activity was when I was around eight to nine years old. It hasn't happened since and I don't know why it exploded around that time.

My first major encounter with the paranormal was when I was taking my grandparents' little dog for a walk. It was about 8:30 at night. I was feeling rather nervous, which I usually didn't as I took Maxi for walks quite often. Where I was walking was open field that connect to the back of my property, about two km west was some houses and father east was some trees. I hope that wasn't too confusing.

Because I was so nervous I was going to turn back and walk a few hundred metres home when a woman walked closely past me, almost touching. I jumped and let out a little squeal and said, "You scared me!"

She just grunted, "Whatever." She looked to be in 30's and wore a red jumper and jeans. I looked away for the briefest of moments because a of light to my left caught my attention. When I looked back she was gone!

There was no way she could have run three km to the trees and it was open land where I was standing so she couldn't have been behind something. What startled me was she looked so solid and real. I had never been so close to what I believe is a ghost before. I wasn't frightened though just shocked. I walked home after that. Oh, and Maxi didn't react to her presence at all.

Sorry if it's hard to understand. Any comments are warmly welcome.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, howwilliknow, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

howwilliknow (1 stories) (20 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-21)
sds, my grandparents do infact still live there.
It's a very small town in QLD Australia, rich in history I imagine as my grandparents house is at least a hundred years old.
I'll try do some research, for some reason it just never occurred to try before.

I didn't tell anyone because I was a "imaginative" child and had no good friends I could confide in.

Ifihadyoux, I can't remember the exact number of trees lol, it was just a sparse scattering of trees leading to a horse paddock. I'm not very good with descriptions sorry. It was completely flat ground with no cars to hide behind. I hope that helps.
howwilliknow (1 stories) (20 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-21)
I'm so sorry for not answering earlier I did't have internet access i'm sothankful for every one who commented
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-10)
I mean the fact your spirit was dressed in modern clothing and said " Whatever "... Also... Unless somebody is a born psychic, phases of high paranormal activity seem to be concentrated to certain eras of a persons life. My own experiences were very intense in childhood and adolescence... Peaking in my late teens with full blown poltergeist activity. It all settled down after that... Until I was postnatally depressed, coinciding with minding some Indigenous artifacts for somebody. Again, once those objects were moved on and I did some healing, it all settled down again. My point is, often there is a series of combining factors that culminate in a person experiencing prolonged haunting, but it might not be a thread throughout their lives, as such.
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-10)
How interesting that she spoke. I would've said maybe it was a residual haunting, but if she interacted with you, it can't have been. It's funny how many ghosts don't look, like, ghostly. I think it loans your story credibility... Because as soon as I hear that " childlike, with a long white gown and long dark hair " line, whatever follows has got to pretty convincing for me to believe that kind of romantic storytelling haha... Most experiences with spirits aren't what you would expect. Experiences with spirits are often odd, defy logic and don't fit the stereotype " storybook" experience.
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-10)
Welcome to YGS. I would also like to know if the land was flat or hilly, how many trees were around, or if there were other houses/business' there or even a car she could have walked into.
Jlobeats12 (1 stories) (14 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-09)
Welcome to the sight, a great experience I must say, and I agree with SDS if you really want an explanation for it then I would suggest doing research around that area will help a lot. It certainly has helped lots of people on this sight. Just look up the history of the town if you can't find any paranormal history that way it may put you at ease after all these years.
Seek (1 stories) (15 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-08)
Great story. Very easy to understand. Welcome to the site, my friend.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-08)
Hi howwilliknow, I join sushantkar in welcoming you to YGS. This reminds me of my own experience, which I narrated in "The old man on the road". But, I was not so young as you were when I and my friends encountered that experience and so we did make some research.

You are a teenager now and I want to ask if your grandparents are living in the same place or house. Did you discuss this experience with your grandparents and if so, what was their reaction. Because it is only on experience you narrated and it is hard to comment further. If you had made any investigation or research on the aspect like asking your grandparents or others in the neighbourhood, perhaps that could or could have thrown more light. Please do respond if you have done some investigation on this aspect or discussed with others with their comments/reactions.

I am not saying that I doubt your experience/encounter but still without much of input, it is difficult to comment further.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
elnoraemily (guest)
+2
9 years ago (2014-11-07)
Was the land completely flat? Could she have gone down an incline that hid her from your sight?
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-07)
Hello howwilliknow! First of all welcome to YGS. It was a nice story so thanks for sharing it.

Regards

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: