You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Second Haunted Mobile Home

Real Ghost Stories

Second Haunted Mobile Home

 

I would like to tell you about a mobile home that I lived in from 1989 until the spring of 2000. I bought it from our neighbors up the road.

Growing up, I had been best friends with their youngest daughter and we spent a lot of time at her home and mine. Her family had bought the home brand new in 1972. Her father was in the military and they moved around a lot. The home was manufactured by a company called Magnolia, the home was 20x50, but one entire side would fold up so it could be moved as a single wide 14x50. I was told by my friend that the military would only pay to move a single wide, so it made sense to their family to purchase this home because they had four children. They had the space they needed and they wouldn't have to pay to move it or locate a house for each move.

I became friends with their youngest daughter in 1976 when they moved the mobile home in, up the road from my parents' farm. They had just moved back to Kansas after being in Texas for a while. As I got to know her, she told me about her oldest brother. He had committed suicide sometime between 1972 and early 1976, I never asked for anymore details than she offered to tell me. But she did say it was after they had bought this home and it didn't happen in the home. When his death happened, they had been living somewhere to the north of our area, because she told me what high school he went to and I was familiar with the school. The school colors are blue and white, keep this in mind because it comes into play later. Her brother was also blonde, another thing for later.

In all the time I spent at her house, I don't remember anything unusual or unexplained happening. At least not that I remember now. After we (ex-husband & I) purchased the home and moved it to my parents' farm, it seemed that strange things started happening almost immediately. Most of the things happened to me and my daughter, who was 6 at the time we moved into the home.

One of the first things I remember happening, happened to my daughter. She was playing quietly in her room one day, on the floor with an array of toys. All the sudden, she let out a blood curdling scream and came racing out of her room, through the hall, and into the living room where I was watching television. I had already jumped to my feet at the sound of her scream, she practically climbed up me, twisting around to look behind her like she was being chased. It took at least 10-15 minutes to calm her down enough to find out what had happened. She told me that she was playing on the floor, like she was when I had last checked on her, and two small fluffy dogs came into her room. One was darker than the other, but they were see through! She was totally horrified, she didn't want to go to the room with me to check it out, but refused to stay in the living room alone. She finally settled on me carrying her, but she was keeping her eyes closed because she didn't want to see the dogs again.

I did a thorough search of her room, she did let me set her down long enough to check under the bed, and I found nothing. At this time, we had no indoor pets, just one medium sized black and white English setter mix that lived outside. I remembered that I had a book with different dog breeds, so I got the book and started slowly turning the pages while she sat on my lap. I asked her to tell me if she saw a dog that looked like the ones she had seen. As soon as I turned to the page with a Pomeranian on it, she started pointing and yelling, "That's it! That's like the dogs I saw!" She had no idea, or no way of knowing, my friend's family had two Pomeranians when they first moved in, one darker than the other and they had passed away many years ago. I reassured her that I had known the dogs and they were very friendly, they would never hurt her.

I never saw them full on like she did, but when I was sitting in the living room, next to the hallway, I would see something approximately that size, go out of her brother's bedroom into her room. Always in my peripheral vision, when I was home alone, I'd get up and look and never find anything. I did, on several occasions, smell them. My friend's family used a big piece of plywood at night to block them in the kitchen and put down newspaper because they weren't housebroken. Some mornings I would get up and the kitchen would smell like dog urine and feces. Again, no pets in the house at that time. My nephew even witnessed the smell.

One day the hallway where the washer and dryer set, reeked of beer, my nephew also smelled it also. No beer in the house and within about 5 minutes these "phantom" smells would disappear.

Another time, I had tucked the kids into bed, watched a little TV, and then went to bed myself to read for awhile before falling asleep. My reading was interrupted by a scream from my daughter. I bolted out of bed and into her room, where I found her sitting on her bed at the very top, squished as far back into the corner as she could get, clutching her blankets. Through the sobs and the tears, she told me that she was trying to go to sleep and had been facing the wall. When she turned over, there was a big, white dog with one eye, standing there, staring at her. She said it had its chin resting on the edge of her bed. Again, a pet that had belonged to my friend's family. He was a white German Shepherd that had lost an eye as a result of being kicked by a horse. He stayed outside during the day and slept in the house at night. He had passed away years before. Also, again, no way of her knowing about this dog.

Another time, at bedtime, I had tucked the kids in, and as kids do, my daughter wanted a drink of water. I left her light on and went to the kitchen to get her a drink. When I came back, she asked what her cousin (I'll call him J) J was doing at our house at bedtime. I told her, he's not here. She told me that he was standing in her doorway, just kind of staring at her and he was wearing his school jacket, but the colors looked wrong. She saw him, looked away for a second, looked back and he was gone. I let her get up and look through the house because she was completely convinced that he was there and I was teasing her by saying he wasn't. The only thing I could think of, and here's where the blue and white school colors and blonde hair come in... That she had seen my friend's oldest brother that had passed. His school jacket was blue with white sleeves and he was blonde headed. Her cousin J, my nephew, had a school jacket that blue with gold (dark yellow) sleeves and he had blonde hair. I believe she saw a full body, solid, apparition. It gave me the willies!

My daughter also complained of someone she couldn't see, sitting on her at night while she was trying to sleep. We ended up moving her bed and it stopped.

We had all heard the footsteps. More like the floor squeaking, like someone was walking, than actual footfalls. (This house had very squeaky floors.) They would start outside the bathroom door and go towards the living room and stop in front of the dryer (about 3 feet from the living room). They always started and stopped at the same place and never went in the opposite direction. This was witnessed by all of our family, friends and other family that came over to visit. Never at any set time.

Later on when we added a cat and a small dog to the household, they would hear the floor squeaking and go stare down the hall at the sound. They would give up eventually, when nobody came down the hall after a few minutes.

From the time we moved in, I would get the feeling that I was being watched while doing dishes. Standing at the sink, my back would be towards the dining room, the only way in or out of the kitchen. There were so many times I thought it was one of my kids coming to ask me something or trying to sneak up on me and scare me. At times I would turn around and say, "What?" to nobody. A few times I would turn around really fast and yell, "Boo!" to nobody. It was an intense feeling that a child was standing the the area where the dining room and kitchen came together.

For some reason, I felt it was a young boy of about 5. He even spooked my Mom so bad that she refused to come in our house unless we were home. She had come over one weekend while my ex and I were out of town to feed our cat. She saw I had left a few dishes in the sink and she was going to wash them for me. The feeling of someone being behind her got so intense that she freaked out and basically bolted.

One night, my friend had come over to babysit for me. The kids were asleep and it had gotten really late so she decided to go lay down on my bed and get some sleep. She said her head had no more than hit the pillow, when it sounded like someone big was stomping down the hallway from the living room, all the way down the hall, and it stopped at the bedroom door, which was open at the time. She said she'd never been so frightened in her entire life. At that time, I'd never heard anything like that in the house, but I did believe her because of all the other things that had happened.

I'd say several months later, but no longer than a year, it happened to me. I had just gotten into bed when I heard very heavy stomping from the living room right up to my bedroom door, just as she described it to me. I was very shaken, but I got up and searched the locked house, just in case...nothing.

The last thing I will tell you about, and the spookiest to me, started in the yard, right outside the house. It was cold, possibly some snow on the ground, and I was outside with the ex. He was putting wood into a outdoor wood burning stove that we had at the time and we were talking about an upcoming trip. The kiddos had already been tucked in for the night. As I stood outside, watching him load the stove for the night, something that I could not see whispered into my left ear. No words that I could make out, it sounded like someone whispering very, very fast, right into my ear. I'm not a screamer, but I may have said "sh*t!" That's just what comes out of my mouth when something scares me. I went about a foot in the air and a couple of feet sideways.

As I heard the whisper and reacted to it, I looked up at the same time and saw a tall shadow pass the backdoor that leads into the hallway. The door had a narrow plexiglass window that was yellow, that's how I saw the shadow. I took off at a dead run, thinking someone was in the house with my kids. I tore into the house and to my kids' rooms, nothing there and they were sound asleep. By this time the ex had come in wanting to know what was happening. I told him, we checked the entire house and came up with nothing.

After I had some time to think about it, even if one of the kids had been up, there's no way they could have made a shadow that high on the window. Even my shadow wasn't high enough. Whatever made that shadow would have had to have been nearly ceiling high. I did test it out with a broom to see how high to reach to cast the shadow on the window like I saw.

I still don't know if the whispering thing in the yard was trying to warn me that something was in the house, or if it was just a coincidence that it happened at the same time. I did have, whatever it is, whisper in my ear another time on the steps of the house while I was unlocking the door after coming home kind of late at night. And it came into my bedroom once. Needless to say, I hate going out in the yard after dark.

I've had a few other things happen in the yard, but I'll save that for later since this is already way long. Also, there was something that went past the windows at night... Another story for another time.

Thank you for taking the time to read about these experiences. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have and I'll answer them.

Other hauntings by StevenTylerRocks

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, StevenTylerRocks, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Darkangel73 (4 stories) (127 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-28)
I had that whispering thing happen to me when I lived in a trailer, I was laying down in the bed on my right side and heard that very fast whispering in my ear. That scared me so bad. But that is some intense stuff around that property.
StevenTylerRocks (6 stories) (14 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-16)
So true ifihadyoux! We have a cat that passed in 2010, she still shows herself from time to time, and I'm always glad to see her. It's bittersweet, but I know she's still around and comes through to let us know she's okay.
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-14)
Wow at this story! I was most impressed with the dogs! I always found it odd that we can sense animals, especially those who have passed, but welcome them just the same.
Reading your part 2 now 😁
StevenTylerRocks (6 stories) (14 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-14)
Thank you Wish-Not, that home had the most activity out of all the places I've lived. Yes, my daughter had a lot of things happen there. The "gift" seems to be passed down the line to the women in our family.

Thanks elnoraemily, I know she still has things happen from time to time, but I can't imagine dealing with all that at 6 years old.

I don't know why mobile homes seem to attract activity, I wonder if there are any theories... 😕
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-12)
As always, it was awesome to read your experiences.

This is a huge amount of activity! Your poor daughter must have been overwhelmed.

What is it about mobile homes and ghosts?
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-12)
STR- First off, WOW! I can't really, honestly question anything. Well written, loved the detail, and...WOW.

I will mention that I understand your reaction to the whisper. I have experienced it as well and totally FREAKED me out. I had the exact same reaction. I'll be writing about that soon.

Whew, waiting on your next.
Oh, your daughter seems to attract a lot of stuff.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: