You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Ghost Of Lawyers Past?

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost Of Lawyers Past?

 

About twenty years ago, I was training to be a lawyer in Birmingham, UK. The offices were two old houses knocked together, so had uneven floors etc. It was a happy office and I enjoyed working there.

I hadn't had any supernatural experiences there, even though I have had many such experiences over the years.

That was until, one Friday evening, I was working late and alone, to finish something that was needed for the following Monday. Obviously I was tired and the old building was creaking a bit. That wasn't a problem, because it always felt homely and I knew the noises were down to the (rather shoddy) way the two buildings had been integrated and the fact that it was settling down for the night.

At about 9pm, I was alerted to the sound of a door upstairs slowly and deliberately shutting. I jumped out of my skin, because I knew I was the only one in the building. I reasoned with myself that someone had just forgotten to close a window and an unevenly hung door had probably just caught a breeze. The trouble was that it was not windy outside and the doors were very old and very heavy. You had to push them to move them. In any case, we were all under strict instructions to close the office doors when we went home to stop the spread of fire, so there should have not been any doors open.

I sat as still as a mouse, straining to hear anything else, like a burglar's footsteps. There were none, but suddenly my scalp started to feel as though it was trying to turn itself inside out with fright and my blood actually ran cold. Instinctively, I thought "Don't radiate fear, it will only pick up on it and come for you". I have no idea why that particular thought came into my head but I was absolutely terrified and I don't scare easily.

Slowly and cautiously, I switched off the computer, picked up my bag and coat and walked as calmly and smoothly as I could to the front door. I could still feel this "thing" waiting and listening upstairs. I managed to switch the burglar alarm on and closed the front door. Then I raced to Snowhill station and went home, still shaking. On Monday, I came in early to finish the work, but didn't dare ask whether anybody else had ever experienced anything like this.

This probably isn't as frightening a story as some, and you could put it down to being alone in an old building late at night. However, in spite of having many supernatural experiences over the years, this remains the most frightening I have ever had.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Bookmonstercats, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Bookmonstercats (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-20)
It could have been somebody breaking in, but there had been no sound either before or after the door closed and it was a different order of fear altogether - spiritual, not physical. Nothing was said about a break-in the following Monday and there were no security cameras. I was desperate to know whether anything like this had happened before, but lawyers can be an unimaginative lot and I didn't want to get a reputation for being hysterical so I didn't ask. I left there shortly afterwards - nothing to do with my experience, just a better job offer. However, I am still in touch with a few people there and I might pluck up the courage to mention it next time I meet with them.

Thanks for your comments and interest and watch this space in case I can give an update.
mrmonty (8 stories) (48 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-17)
I'm wondering, since the burglar was switched off, could have someone else have broken in to the building, realized you where there and waited for you to leave? Definitely just as frightening.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-17)
I agree with what ifihadyoux said. I would ask around, just to see if it was a fluke or a common occurrence, ect.
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-17)
Hmmm, I wonder if you did ask if anyone had a similar experience if that would ease your mind. I only say because either they could validate your experience or confirm you were imagining it. Maybe even looking into the security system and see if anything was caught on camera?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: