You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Items :: Is My House Haunted Or Am I?

Real Ghost Stories

Is My House Haunted Or Am I?

 

Several things have happened in our house since 2005 when my younger brother passed away, although I know that these experiences have nothing to do with his spirit as the spirit in question feels harmful like it wants to scare us and hurt us. It started with small things like my brothers toys turning on by themselves, hearing footsteps upstairs when no one else was in.

My first big experience was in 2009 so I would have been around 17, I was in my bedroom (Our upstairs is an attic conversion done before we moved in so we all have an attic door in our bedrooms) mines is at the back of one of my wardrobes and my brothers toy box had been put in there to make some space downstairs (all the toys had an on/off switch or didn't make noise.)

I was drifting off to sleep when I heard the music from one of his toys start, shocked I sat up and stared at the wardrobe but I managed to convince myself that it was nothing and that maybe there was a mouse that disturbed them. The second night I was texting my boyfriend at the time and the music started again and I got really creeped out as it never happened during the day only at night, so I put my headphones in and went to sleep.

On the third night I managed to go to sleep without it happening to my relief although after I fell asleep I had a dream of my boyfriend saying to me 'I'm going to make that music play but this time it's not going to stop' at that point I woke out of my sleep and like he said the music started playing and repeated over and over! Needless to say I demanded it be taken out of my room. I have more experiences to share that have happened to me and my sister. I will share them as soon as I can. Advice from anyone that know what this might be would be great!

Other hauntings by Molly_23_boo

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ireland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Molly_23_boo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

TRUCK (25 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-20)
I agree with taking out the batteries to see what happens.

As far as the dream it simply could have been the music started playing and this influenced what you were dreaming about.

Hope this helps.
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-20)
For some odd reason, by the second paragraph of your story, I was reminded of when I was living on the east coast in a brand new cabin in the countryside. The landlord had built the cabin himself. The laundry washer and dryer sat conveniently in a closet beside our bedroom. After a few months, the washer started beeping randomly, and even running. I was living alone in the cabin at the time, and the damn washer would go off in the middle of the night or early morning, interrupting my sleep. Eventually I realized that, due to the fact that there was no ventilation whatsoever in that closet, there was moisture trapped in the area. Further, after some googling, I discovered that particular washing unit had issues with trapped moisture. You see, the trapped moisture would cause electrical shorts. As with any mild electrical short, that means noise activation without anyone's consent. Omigoodness it was so annoying. After a few nights, I actually ripped the plastic panel off of the top of the washing unit, and realigned the metal pieces once the moisture evaporated, then replaced the plastic cover.

Similarly, I would not be surprised if in someone's attic (or basement) where things are generally kept in the damp darkness, that something with electronics might short out and make random noises. I've had plenty of toys do this very thing, generally after a great length of time being in a closed container where moisture is trapped.

So I really don't get the impression that there was some paranormal event when someone's toy suddenly makes noises, even if "at exactly the same time every night" (as most stories go). I don't know why a ghost would keep an exact schedule. What makes more sense to me is that the living, breathing creatures residing in that household keep a schedule, and their activities have an effect on the temperatures and humidity of their residence, thereby affecting how electronics behave in said household.

I'd love to read more of your stories. Perhaps there is something you've experienced which is quite undeniably paranormal!
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-19)
I recall buying my daughter a talking Barbie, and right in the directions for it (how to change battery, etc.) it stated that if Barbie began talking on her own, then it was a sign that the battery was wearing down. Most battery operated things will also say that for 'prolonged' storage the battery should be removed to prevent damage.
Sometimes dreams will incorporate outside disturbances as part of them. Something to do with the body not being ready to wake up yet, so the subconscious integrates the stimuli into the dream.
Has anything else happened to make you believe that this is paranormal?
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-19)
Kooky as it sounds, yeah. It's when the batteries start losing juice that stuff is more likely to turn itself on.
The dream is weird, but hear me out. I've had dreams incorporate sounds that are actually happening while I'm asleep, then the real sounds wake me up. It's annoying, but can happen. I think the toy was probably going off, and your dream just included the toy. My opinion, just an opinion.
spookie1 (5 stories) (72 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
Whoa... The dream was really creepy... And crazy... And kind of scary... 😐 good luck with whatever it may be... It's really creepy
Molly_23_boo (3 stories) (2 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
[at] BJJ no I never did check for signs of mice although we have never had mice, before that or since. We made sure all the toys were changed to OFF before we put them in, would they still start with low batteries? I agree that maybe that could explain it but the dream is what really made me think paranormal, and before any of this happened I was a complete non believer and thought people just made things up to scare other people
[at] harrypotterrules no I meant that I demanded my parents take it out of my room.
There was several occasions around then that I asked whatever it was to leave me alone and that it was scaring me but it never helped.
I think that it wants us to fear it as it has never done anything other than terrify us
Nightwish13 (2 stories) (19 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-17)
sorry for your loss. Now I know that paranormal experiences are creepy but this only sounds like it just wants attention. Maybe your fear of it is just making it feel harmful when it could just be trying to communicate. I do agree with the others that it could just be electrical malfunctions with the toys. But like I said if it is a spirit I would see what it wants. Maybe do some EVP work.
harrypotterrules (59 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-17)
Just one question: when you asked that the music be taken out of your room, did the spirit do so?

Also, you said that this spirit might be trying to harm you. If you're Christian, pray to God and Jesus immediately after seeing or feeling the presence of the spirit near you. This will force them to flee if they are demons. Hope this helps, and God bless you all.
CountingCoups (5 stories) (14 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-17)
When my brother was little, he had an Ernie on a tractor from Sesame Street. The tractor would even blow puffs of steam out the stack. The tractor would sometimes start running on its own. My mama took the batteries out and it would still randomly turn on and run. On the day that it ran without the batteries, I remember she put it outside on a low wall of bricks that surrounded our car porch. I remember that toy still randomly turning on and running on the bricks, even puffing out little puffs of steam out of the stack. The toy had to "warm up" just like a diesel engine in order to turn the water into steam, which it was suppose to only from battery power.
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-17)
I do have to agree with BJJ. I had an Elmo that would turn itself on all the time due to bad wiring and a Barney toy that would randomly start talking because it's batteries had corroded. It was very, very creepy.
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-17)
I agree with what BJJ has advised. I am sorry for the loss of your brother, however I would try to eliminate any explainable solution first before reaching to paranormal, even though that was a HUGE coincidence with the dream.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+3
9 years ago (2014-11-17)
So, I have to ask. Did you check for any signs of mice in the house? Droppings, nests, that sort of thing?
Some of those battery controlled toys will start to go off on their own when the batteries are dying. It's very annoying, and creepy, but it can be explained without the paranormal. I would suggest removing the batteries from the toys altogether. The toy sounds really may be noting to worry about at all.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: