You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: I Lived In A Haunted House

Real Ghost Stories

I Lived In A Haunted House

 

Let me start off by saying that I no longer live in that house. I am a 33 year old man with a wife and child and I haven't lived in the home since 1998. I also want to say that I loved the house I am going to write about. Our experiences, though strange, were in no way sinister or threatening.

My parents didn't have much money when they first married. My father was just off of a divorce and when he met my mother she was just coming off of a divorce as well. She already had 2 children at this time. The year was 1972. My brother was born in 1974 and they lived in a cramped apartment. They had no yard for the kids to play in and they were increasingly unhappy with their neighbors. It was time to look into buying a home.

In 1978, my father saw an old white colonial in New Britain, CT for sale. At that time it was on the market for $44,000. He looked at it with the family and they fell in love. Three bedrooms, a full basement, walk-up finished attic area, a nice big back yard and a 2 car garage. Perfect. They bought it.

Things were great, they set up the bedrooms. My sister had her own room and my 2 brothers shared a room. I was not born yet. The first few nights were uneventful. Then one night my parents were sleeping but my father woke up sometime in the middle of the night. He thought he heard footsteps coming up the big staircase that leads from the front foyer area. He then heard the footsteps reach the top of the stairs and stop at each door on the second floor. He shrugged it off as one of the kids wandering or looking for the bathroom and not knowing where it was because it was a new home. He fell asleep. My mother woke a little while later to the sound of footsteps outside their bedroom. She noticed that the bedroom door was open as well. It was at this time she saw the figure of a woman standing in the door way dressed in blue. The woman then spoke to her and asked, "Do you know where Margaret is?" At this time my mother says she was frozen and broke out into a cold sweat. She could not say anything and that is all she remembered.

The next morning my mom and dad shared their experiences. The footsteps my dad heard may have been the woman my mother saw. She didn't share the experience with many people but she did share it with her father. My grandfather was a practical realist, he told my mother she was full of crap. I will share more about him in a moment.

My mother did not see the ghost again, yet strange things would occur. Items would be moved. Shades in the house would go up on their own. Footsteps would be heard and every so often a fleeting glimpse of something darting up the stairs was seen out of the corner of your eye.

On the night of September 30, 1981 I was born. That night my grandfather and grandmother were watching the other kids at the house while my parents were at the hospital. The kids were in bed and my grandfather was still awake in the living room reading. He looked up from reading and noticed the figure of a woman dressed in blue move across the living room and go up the staircase. It did not speak to him but just went about her business. When my mother came home from the hospital her father took her aside and said, "I take back what I said, I believe you now."

Growing up, I noticed things like cabinets open after being closed, footsteps and other strange occurrences like music in the attic with no radio or other source. We nicknamed our ghost Margaret.

Years passed by and one day my father was talking with a neighbor who lived in the back adjoining property. They were discussing previous owners and he told my father of a woman who lived in the house previously with her sister named Margaret. Could the ghost be the woman looking for her sister Margaret?

In 1998 we moved to a new home across town but I have nothing but fond memories of that home. We never felt unsafe or threatened. We knew we were possibly sharing our home with a supernatural presence and we were ok with that.

Other hauntings by smithnb42

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Connecticut

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, smithnb42, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sherlocked (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-20)
wow that is a brilliant story thanks for sharing your experiences

Sherlocked
smithnb42 (2 stories) (2 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
we used to call the Ghost Margaret. I think it was justa nickname that stuck because of the question she asked my mother. I remember that before we went upstairs to bed sometimes we would sa "ok, Margaret I am coming up to bed now. If you want to stay here with us we are fine with that just please don't scare us" She must have liked my family because other than noises, footsteps and the occasional pictures coming off the wall she never showed herself again. My mom likes to think it was just the ghosts way of saying Hey, I'm still here. Dont forget. We would acknowledge her when things happened.
spookie1 (5 stories) (72 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
I don't know why but I'm more scared of hauntings that look innocent than hauntings that has been confirmed to be of a evil or mean. I expect the unexpected so that's why I think why 😐 😐 😐
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
It is possible that they were not quite as open minded to it as your family and decided that she was not for them. Hopefully they didn't try to run her off and just let her stay there in peace.
smithnb42 (2 stories) (2 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
There are more stories... The window shades going up by themselves was an ongoing thing. It became almost commonplace. Pictures would come off walls. Not just slide down but we would find them a few feet away from the wall lying face up. The footsteps was another ongoing thing...

The area of the house I felt some uneasiness was in the attic. Great attic. Finished walk up attic with a carpet and old paneling on the slanted walls and a Chimney running up the middle. Huge space to play. I loved it up there. However I would always get the sensation of being watched. Also in the attic was a storage room where we would hear music playing from time to time but with no source.

Like I said in the story above it was a great house and I miss it greatly. One thing of interest is when we sold it the couple that moved in put it back on the market within a year. I can't speculate on that but I find it to be interesting. Perhaps the ghost paid them a visit as well looking for Margaret.
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
Well if it is her, I hope she finds Margaret! That would truly suck to be searching for an eternity for your sister 😢
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
smithnb42- Great story! I'm with elnora on enjoying a pleasant haunting. They don't always have to be terrifying. Sure hope you might have some more from that house you would be willing to share.

Thanks for sharing! Great story, oops already said that.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
I think the story the neighbours told plus your family's experience pretty much sums it up. Yes it is Margaret's sister looking for her.

Good read, thanks for sharing.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
her* sister. Sorry for the typo. I was excited about reading this and forgot to actually look at what I was writing.

Sigh.

:)
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
This actually sounds a lot like what my dad is currently experiencing in his house! Extremely, extremely similar.

It's nice to see a story about a pleasant haunting.

I think, since the neighbor mentioned the sister, that it makes sense that she would be looking for his sister. A lot of it sounds residual, but the question does seem to imply a level of intelligence to the haunting.

Thanks for this, I really enjoyed reading about this experience.
spookie1 (5 stories) (72 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-18)
I'd just faint right there if the ghost asked me where Margaret was... Interesting story and thanks for sharing, I have a few possible explinations for items being moved but I'm too tired to explain now... I'll get to that tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing your interesting story. 😊

Regards
Spookie1

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: