You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Loss Of Breath While Sleeping

Real Ghost Stories

Loss Of Breath While Sleeping

 

I'm a 21 year old male living in Birmingham in England and as of a couple minutes ago, a member to this site. Usually on the nights I like to read through random sites and discovered this place. After about 10 minutes of reading, I noticed a link to a page of sleep paralysis stories which instantly sparked an almost forgotten memory.

Before I carry on, I should let you know that I rarely dream in first person, more like watching a movie with different camera angles and scenes. But I'll stop boring you and crack on with my story.

A while back when I was 14, maybe 15, I was asleep and I suddenly stopped breathing. But rather than not being able to breathe, it was like it was restricted but able to breathe in more than out so I sat up and tried shouting for my mom. But my words came out like whispers, but my vocal chords felt like I was screaming. Until suddenly it was like I had awoken from a dream but gasping for air. The experience lasted about 15 seconds and felt pretty real.

At the time I shrugged it off as a nightmare. Going back to what I said earlier, I dream in camera angles and scenes but it all happened in first person and it didn't seem like a dream because I remember my movements and how I looked at my door expecting my mom to burst in.

The next day I asked my mom if she had heard any screaming and she said she didn't. Was I dreaming or did I have a paranormal experience? Was some entity stopping me from breathing and calling for help? Even now I'm not sure but I hope this sparks some good discussion.

Sorry for it being a little long winded (or you could say short winded) but it's hard to describe the experience.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AlmostSceptic, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Lunahenry (2 stories) (50 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-24)
Sounds like you had an episode of sleep apnea where you can stop breathing while sleeping.
spookie1 (5 stories) (72 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-24)
I just think it was a bad dream, in nightmares screaming but only hearing whispers is very common. And there is a first time for everything (reffering to the dreaming un first person) so I just think it was a bad dream 😊

Regards
Spookie1
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-24)
I agree with Mandy. It does sound like sleep paralysis.

I had a disorder as child that would basically give me asthma attacks in my sleep, just without the asthma. Not good memories, at all.
MandyyNicole (7 stories) (183 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-24)
It does sound much like sleep paralysis or a bad dream. Do you have asthma or were you ill at the time? It's possible you had slight breathing trouble and it incorporated itself into your dream.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: