You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Could This Be My Guardian?

Real Ghost Stories

Could This Be My Guardian?

 

This time round, my story is a good one.

I was 17 at the time (7 years ago now), my parents were away on a 2 week break and I was staying at home with one of my brothers. During the first week I started to become really unwell, stomach cramps which were out of this world! After 48 hours of pure pain, all 3 of my brothers took me down to A&E to get checked out. It was appendicitis! They wanted to operate then and there but I'd never had an operation before, let alone have one without my Mum there, I was really scared and said I'd have it done when my parents are back. Reluctantly, they gave me some pain killers and sent me on my way. For the next week I planned to stay with my other brother and his family so that if it got worse they could get me to hospital quickly. The pain was easing, it wasn't half as bad as what it was originally but I had to keep rested and not move around to fast otherwise it would aggravate it.

One afternoon, my sister in law, nieces and nephew went out and left me lying on the sofa watching TV. It wasn't long before my eyes were relaxing and I was slowly drifting off into a slumber. I was at that point between awake and sleep when I heard my name being called. "Alice". It was short and quiet and came from by my head. I opened my eyes and thought I'd just fallen asleep and started dreaming so I closed my eyes again but as soon as I did I heard it again. "ALICE"! It was much louder this time but coming from the other side of the room. I glanced towards the doorway where I heard it coming from and there was this outline of a small person. It was golden in colour and almost had a kind of sparkle to it. Straight away, judging by the height of it I knew it was a child but I couldn't tell if it was a girl or a boy. I wasn't scared, I felt an immense amount of love and peace around me - I just watched as the sparkles faded into nothing. I've never felt peace like it, it was tranquil, quiet and I wanted nothing more than this feeling to stay with me.

I started to watch TV again (still lying on the sofa) and ended up drifting, eyes opening and closing and feeling very relaxed. Now, I must have closed my eyes and fallen asleep but was still aware of everything around me. I had this warm rush come over me, it was that feeling of love and peace again so I opened my eyes and in front of me was a lady tucking me in. I didn't see her face as she was leaning over me, I could only see her wavy brown-ish hair drooped forward, a creamy white top she was wearing and a gold pendant dangling in front of me. When my brain registered that this isn't right because I'm meant to be home alone - I then opened my eyes and she was gone. It was so strange, I thought I'd already opened my eyes but the whole time my eyes were shut and I could see her and the room around me still, even the TV! When everything had sunk in, I then become overwhelmed with a feeling of déjà vu and it was like I had a flash back to when I was a toddler. I literally felt like I flew in reverse through time and was sitting in my cot playing with a musical nightlight toy I once had, I would have been about 2 or 3. Sitting in my cot, I looked over to the corner of my old room and saw the same lady sitting in the corner with a guitar, playing along to the nightlight music. This was a memory I'd once had and long forgot about. It truly did happen, I remember now her being there quite often, she was there while I went to sleep as a toddler.

I realise this lady has been with me for a long time and I'd love to know who she is, I don't know where to start looking if I'm honest. I don't know if she's my guardian or if she's a relative that passed long ago. I'd love to see her again though. I'm not sure about who the child is either but I'm sure they're being looked after.

Other hauntings by FollowTheWhiteRabbit

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, FollowTheWhiteRabbit, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-27)
Appendicitis is extremely deadly. I, too, am horrified you were sent home with painkillers. 😲

Are you able to ask any family members whether you were cared for by a nanny or particular relative when you were younger?
FollowTheWhiteRabbit (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-27)
Valkricry and Elnoraemily, thank you both of explaining. I do know exactly what you're talking about now as i've been looking into meditation and astral projection over the past few months so I completely grasp what you mean - i'd never heard of it in those terms before though.

Thanks again

😁 ❤
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2014-11-26)
FTWR,
I'll try to expand on what elnora said. As she said, our sense of reality is pretty much set. When we look at a chair, it's just a chair. However sometimes, things can lower our basis on how we perceive reality. In other words open us up to seeing what we are normally 'blind' to. Outside of illness, I would think that emotional duress often plays a roll, and sometimes even our relaxed state of mind. You know when you're awake but not awake? Or during meditation. This alters the filters we all have as to what reality is. The barriers are down and other information is permitted to come through. So, you just might look at that chair and see your long dead relative, sitting there.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-26)
Basically, we are used to seeing our reality pretty firmly. What is there is there and nothing else is currently present. My theory is that when something disrupts how our mind normally perceives things, like illness or medication that doesn't cause mental hallucinations (like a high fever or Ambien, which cause your mind to create images), it can break down that barrier and allow us to see things that we normally cannot see.
It's basically like letting your guard down and letting other senses come through.

I am not sure if my explanations actually explain 😜
FollowTheWhiteRabbit (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-26)
Wow, thank you all for your comments and feed back! 😊

Elnoraemily - thank you, yes all better now and the appendix did come out in the end. It was about 2 months after this episode.
Also, the same Medium I saw said that my Nan is with me as well, I have a feeling it would be my Dads Mum who passed away before I was born. It would make sense because the child that passed was her Son so she could be looking after him (can't believe this has never crossed my mind before)! Unfortunately, I only have a few photos of her and none from when she was younger.

To you Elnoraemily and Valkricry - I'm really interested in what you've both said about 'lower basis of reality' - I've not heard this before, can you elaborate a little for me please?:)

MandyyNicole - Wow that is so similar! I'm glad your fiend is okay, that must have been a really scary experience.: (

I think for me personally, there are a lot of contributing factors at play where I may have been hallucinating, I may have been sleep deprived or even off my head on copious amount of painkillers - there's always going to be a rational explanation. What ever it was - it was a beautiful thing which I'll never forget.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-25)
OKay...I think I need to clarify something here. Although everyone can agree that certain drugs and illnesses can cause hallucinations, as elnora and I have both tried to point out, such things can also lower our basis for reality; allowing things we normally either block out, or simply can't 'sense' to come through. So neither of us are writing off FTWR's experience as imagination, we're just suggesting that this could be a possible reason she was given the glimpse she had.
FTWR, you might try phrasing the question to your parents a bit differently. Like, "When I was little did we have someone who stayed with us? I seem to remember this lady..." Looking through old photos is a great idea!
MandyyNicole (7 stories) (183 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-25)
I find this story to be quite touching. I think you have someone (or two) looking out for you on the other side.
Also, if I may, this story is remarkably similar to what recently happened to a dear friend of mine. While in the hospital, after dying and being revived, a woman came to be with her, comforting her the entire time over a period of days. She soon realized nobody else could see her. Guardian spirit? I think yes. (She is currently looking through old family photos in hopes of locating her) 😊
Some may chalk it up to drugs or illness, but I don't believe that to be the case here, or in many other similar scenarios. I think we've all got someone looking out for us!
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-25)
aw how cute! A very touching story. I hope you're doing better now, the thought of surgery is scary!
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-25)
I am very happy that your health is sorted out! That must have been quite the experience. Lordy.

I think it's a wonderful idea to go through old photos and see if you can match them up. Brilliant, really.

I looked up that drug, as it's not something I've ever been given and I don't really see side effects that would cause that. It's possible that sickness caused you to hallucinate, but in this case, not entirely a reliable theory.

It could also be that while sick and on the drug, maybe you were able to see things that normally you would not- a lowered basis for reality that caused you to actually have a glimpse at them.

Since a medium also knew the child was there, it definitely gives it depth.

I'm getting a bit rambly.
FollowTheWhiteRabbit (2 stories) (13 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-25)
Valkricry and Elnoraemily - I know I was only given painkillers at the time, I'm not sure what they were but they didn't make me feel drowsy at all. I'm pretty sure it was just super strong paracetamol. I totally appreciate what you're getting at but they did allow me to go home, eventually.

I'd already been there for about 7 hours and left the hospital at 2am. Don't get me wrong, they gave me a good check over but half way through the diagnostics they decided it could have been my ovaries which was causing the pain (even though my blood test results showed high protein levels - a key sign of appendicitis) so they sent me off to see someone else. THEN, they wanted to do an internal scan (which scared the hell out of me too) at the very last minute someone came in to say they can't do it because I was under age!

Honestly, it was an absolute shambles! And I can assure you, after the night i'd had - there was no-way I was going in for an operation. I was really distressed by the end of it all and was adamant I was going home. LOVE THE NHS... 😜

In regards to talking to my parents - well, my Mum is terrified of the 'unknown' and my Dad doesn't take me seriously. However, I had asked them previously about the child because a medium once told me that there is a child with me who likes to play and he explained in detail the coffin they had. I'm yet to get a solid answer for it but I have a feeling it maybe my Dads brother who died when he was a child but no-one can tell me about his funeral or coffin. The lady is still a mystery because I didn't see her face, only her hair, top and necklace but my Grandparents have a huge amount of history on their family tree with a lot of photos too - I think I'll go through that when I next visit them.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-25)
In a life threatening medical situation, I cannot see a scenario that they would have just giving you a script and left you leave. You could have very easily died. Very easily. Once it bursts, there is a strict time limit of surviving and you say you went a week? Can you please explain that scenario in more detail, because it seems unbelievable to me. Maybe American hospitals are different? Sorry, I am just concerned about that. You are very lucky.

What sort of pills did they give you? I know that hydrocodone gives me sleep paralysis and vivid nightmares.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2014-11-25)
FTWR, first, I'm alarmed by the fact that after diagnosing appendicitis so severe they believed you needed surgery, that they permitted you to just go home with pain killers. (I'm not in the UK, so things could be different.) Here, they would have kept you, as the appendix could rupture, poisoning your entire system. Antibiotics would also have been prescribed.
True enough, pain killers could cause hallucinations, but some times they can also allow 'real' memories to surface. You might try asking your parents about the woman. It's possible that as a toddler, you had a type of nanny, or a relative staying with you.
feefoo222 (1 stories) (24 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-25)
A heart touching one...!
Maybe you should talk 2 your parents

Regards,
😊 ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: