You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Tours & Haunted Hotels :: Asylum Horror

Real Ghost Stories

Asylum Horror

 

I recently visited Beechworth Asylum. For those who haven't heard of this place it is one of the most haunted places in Victoria, Australia. My friend and I were interested in its history so that's why we went there. We have heard many stories about the Asylum that are quite horrifying and scary.

The tour started at 8:00 pm and went until 10:00 pm. We explored the lunatic asylum and learnt many different things about the place. The tour guide took the group through dark corridors and then into a cellar that was on the bottom floor.

As I walked along the dark hallways, I felt my hair being pulled. I was startled, so I turned around and nothing was behind me. The rest of the group were in front of me heading into the cellar. I walked into the doorway of the cellar and all of a sudden I felt cold hand grasp onto my neck really quickly and let go. After that I couldn't breath and I started to cry. The group noticed me crying so they ran to help me, by the time they got to me I couldn't breath. I stood in shock as they asked me questions I couldn't answer. The tour guide said this has happened to people before.

After that experience my friend and I went outside and we left. I was so scared. I couldn't believe what had happened.

I'm not sure if I should be worried about the future in case I get haunted or something. Should I be scared?

I did have a few more experiences at the Lunatic Asylum, but this one was most concerning one. I am trying to submit more stories about my experiences at this place.

Other hauntings by sabbywhiteer

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sabbywhiteer, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

jess001 (1 stories) (22 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-11)
Sabbywhiteer I don't think you should be scared for in the future. The worst that could happen is that the ghost that you encountered at the asylum could latch itself onto you and follow you around. If you haven't witnessed anything unusual or like what happened at the asylum, since you left there then I wouldn't be worried at all:)
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
-2
9 years ago (2014-12-08)
You are out of your mind to go in some crazy asylum after dark, in the dark! And yes I know all about THAT asylum and it's a terrifying horrifying place. I would not even go near that place. I can't beileive you had enough courage to actually step in there. And you shouldn't be scared of anything right now, unless things start happening don't worry about anything. Hopefully nothing followed you home. Not even sure they can follow you I'm sure they are trapped in that asylum hopefully. Thanks for sharing your story, I loved it.
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2014-12-08)
Hahaha... Yeah. Always makes me laugh... The proverbial ghost hunt where the ghost got found, huh? I had this happen in England. Terrifying. The last time I ever go deliberately looking for a spook. I do wonder if your being unable to breathe is more likely a panic attack... Brought on by the anxiety of the atmosphere and having your hair pulled. I absolutely believe that you got something's attention, and give that full validation... Just, in a state of heightened anxiety, not being able to breathe is the first thing that usually happens. I really doubt the thing followed you home, but if you're concerned, do a cleansing with white sage.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+3
9 years ago (2014-12-06)
This is EXACTLY why you need to visit this location again... A one time... I could not breath, I MUST have been getting choked by a spirit/entitychoking...can not be verified by a one time occurrence.

Besides things like mold spores and other things that cause breathing issues are not always visable to the eye.

Please revisit and keep us informed.
sabbywhiteer (2 stories) (4 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-05)
rookdygin and elnoraemily I assure you that it was not dust. The place is not dusty because the walls and floor tiled. I have been there in daylight and its quite clean in some rooms for an asylum. I know what I felt and I definately was being choked or stangled in a way,
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-05)
There are other ways to determine if you have an allergy or not. There are drs who specialize in these things and my mothers side of the family has been to them [to be honest I should go too]. They take samples and swatch them on your back, and the results will determine what you're allergic too.
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-05)
I agree with Rook and ifihadyoux about the masks and the dust.

I worked an Indie movie set at an abandoned prison (supposed to be haunted, definitely a strange place). They are coated in dust and mold, everywhere, as well as dust mites (nearly microscopic annoying bugs) in the millions.
My crew (I was art department) had to clear out the basement of inches of dust and we had to wear masks going down there (should have had a respirator, really). If you took your mask off in certain parts of that place, you could not breath, even if you did not have an allergy.

I would be careful if you go back, even with a mask. If you do have an allergy, it could be able to effect you by touch and not just through your lungs- especially since you were last in line, you would have been in a cloud of everyone else's dust and mold kick up.

I am not trying to discount your experience, just making sure that your health is not going to be negatively impacted by any sort of debunking.

I looked up the place you went to and it's gorgeous. You are lucky to have been able to visit, even if parts of it were not so pleasant.
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-05)
I would actually suggest you going back, even though it wasn't a great experience. You can rule out what rook suggested by wearing a mask, like the guy on ghost adventures does when the place is too dusty, which happens to asylums.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-04)
Ummm...until you rule out a possible alergic reaction to molds, mildews and or dust... Or even just a one time reaction to something in that enviroment that caused your breath catch for a few moments its hard to say what you may have experienced.

Its things like that, that need to be ruled out, especially sense your were visiting a 'known' haunted location.

Thanks for sharing, I had never heard of this asylum before.

Respecfully,

Rook

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: