You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Translucent Rider

Real Ghost Stories

The Translucent Rider

 

These stories didn't happen with me, but with my family. I want to start explaining how was the place where my father grew up in the 60's and 70's. It was a very small rural city called Jaboti, in the countryside of the estate of Paraná in Brazil.

In the early 60's my grandfather came to this almost untouched place where he started to build his house. Up to this day this very little farm belongs to my family. My father was the second oldest son out of four. When he was seven years old my grandfather passed in a car accident. A few years after that, my grandmother married again, with a man that already had four kids from his first wedding. His first wife also had died.

When this happened, my father (that I'll call 'H') was about 14, his brother ('J') was 16, and the oldest son of his stepfather ('Z') also was 16. They went to school at night after working at the fields during the day. It was a 3 kilometer walk from home to school.

One night when they were coming back home, in total darkness, they started hearing a horse walking behind them. They could hear his horseshoes hitting the rocks on the road and the sounds of little bells and other metal ornaments people used to put on their horses.

It's not unusual to hear a horse in the middle of a city surrounded of farms, but they started to think it was strange the horse not catching up with them. By the pace of the horse steps it should have passed by.

They stopped by the road thinking it might be their stepfather. The sound of the horse kept coming until it was very close and then suddenly... Just silence. No horse. After a few minutes they decided they should head home. As soon as they started walking, the sound came back. Again, no horse. They started to run. As they ran, so did the horse after them and the noise kept increasing.

When they got to the gate of their farm the noise stopped. It was a very big wooden gate, almost 2 meters high. 'J' decided to go home, it was another 300 meters ahead. When he was almost halfway there, 'H' gave up waiting and went home too. 'Z' said he would wait, he was sure it was his father, and would open the gate for him.

He saw from some distance the outline of the horseman, the light from the stars shining on him, he was coming to the gate. What he described next was a big horse, huge, way bigger than the gate, and on the horse a man wearing a hat. The scariest was the fact that he could see through the horse and its rider. Terrified he froze staring at that thing, the rider made a noise and the horse moved towards the gate, making it creak.

At this moment he started to run towards the house and screamed "RUN!" 'H' turned around to see what was going on, just in time to see the rider fade out. When he turned to run, 'Z' had already passed by him. When 'H' and 'J' got home, he was already there, all white on the ground, absolutely terrified. He could not believe what he just saw.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, JFS2, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

JFS2 (1 stories) (7 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-09)
Thanks Fergie! I'm really glad you liked it. As I said before, I'm not a native English speaker, and was a little afraid I couldn't express correctly the story.

Of course I'm interested, I'll read it right now. 😁
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-09)
Hi JFS2, I was on the edge of my seat while reading your narrative. I was expecting, at any moment that something would happen to one of the boys, besides being scared half to death. You captured the 'chill factor' beautifully!

Your narrative reminds me of one I wrote some months ago. In case you are interested, I titled it "There Came A Dark Horse", it also tells of a ghostly rider.

Thank you for sharing your tale with us, and hope you write more.
JFS2 (1 stories) (7 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-08)
I'd like to thank everyone for the comments!

[at] valkricry until these days Z is the only one who won't talk about this. He was tottaly terrified.

[at] BadJuuJuu lol the first time I heard this I was around 10, it was at night and I was AT the farm. Creepy.

[at] WiniPu4 I'm glad you enjoyed. If you have the opportunity to talk to the elder people most of the time they'll have creepy stories to tell.
WiniPu4 (207 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-07)
Hello:
I think it is a lovely story, well-written, and very believable. I felt as though I was there with them.
Nothing was lost in translation.
Older generations who lived in small towns and villages were probably reluctant to tell their stories for fear of ridicule from the community, but thanks to the web and sites like this one we can now read and learn about them from their descendents. Thank you so much for sharing. I enjoyed this good old-fashioned ghost story very much!
Kind Regards,
Lynev
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-06)
Well, that was eerie. I can honestly say I'm glad I read this during the daytime and not in the dark lol.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2014-12-05)
JFS2,
This was deliciously creepy. 😊 I actually feel a bit bad for Z, after all he was only trying to be a good son. Spooky!
JFS2 (1 stories) (7 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2014-12-05)
Oh, ok them, thanks! 😆

I first wrote it in portuguese and then translated it to post here.
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-05)
I believe you no worries. It was very well written is all I was saying, it's a compliment.
JFS2 (1 stories) (7 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-05)
Sorry if it left you this impression, I'm not a native English speaker. I tried my best to tell the story as I know it.

I'll publish more stories about this farm soon and I'll try to explain better. Both my father and my uncle confirm it happened this way. I believe them.
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-05)
I swore this was a made up story but I tried googling it and came up nothing. Wow. Impressed.
No offense to you, just the writing was very artsy as opposed to story telling, so good job!
It reminds me of the headless horseman. 😆 😆 😆

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: