You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Items :: Grandpa's Grandfather Clock

Real Ghost Stories

Grandpa's Grandfather Clock

 

When I was a young child I spent many a summers at my grandparent's house in Lasalle Ontario. They had an old redwood cedar and angel brick house with a large woodland behind them. I played and made forts in the woods. This was the late 70s early 80s and even then time had stood still for years in these woods. Old scrap antique car hulls where hidden among the vines, streams filled with pike fish wandered through the woods. Wild berries, grapes and milk pods were abundant. The forest seemed surreal and stretched on forever. (The forest actually crossed the Lasalle town limits from the Detroit river to the opposite side where it ended on the outskirts of Windsor.) It was about 3 miles deep and had a few scattered farm fields along the outer edges; Wonderful place to be as a young child.

Besides the forest the other thing that I remember about my grandparent's house was the grandfather clock that stood in the hallway. It had been made by my grandmother's cousin from a kit that was bought though Sears. (I think it was built in the 1930s) So being 40-50yrs old at the time my grandfather would constantly be fixing it. It had 5 or 7 different chimes and sometimes they worked sometimes not. Often granddad would be working on it and I would get to see the innards. They were so complex with little gears and shafts, weights, springs, hammers and chains. I can remember several times in my youth trying to make heads or tails of how the gears worked. They made no mechanical sense to me. The connections they made and the way they worked just did not seem to be functional so it was a "magic" clock to me. Something that was always mysterious and beautiful to look at.

Well the years passed and God collected my grandfather at a young age in his 50s. He had a very long run with a dreadful illness that had him bed ridden for many years. When he died the clock toned all of the chime selections at midnight for three nights in a row. Then it did not work anymore. (the clock did but not the chimes) We all thought this was crazy. But the event passed without further incidents. Many years later it came time for my grandmother to move out of the house that my grandfather had built. (it was a very sad day) but she found a condo in Amherstburg close to us and was quite happy. The clock was moved to the condo and no longer worked. It became a statue or piece of furniture to look at.

Now a funny thing happened. The person who moved into grandpa's old house got to know the neighbor, who we were friends with. It got back to us that the new owners would wake in the night and hear a clock ticking. On a few occasions they would even hear the hand movement cycle to move the hands. They traced the sound to the hallway where the grandfather clock had once stood. This went on for about a year and then eventually stopped after the new owners did a massive remodel of the house.

To make this story weirder... A few years ago we lost my Grandmother. After the funeral we returned to her condo and in the middle of talking about the good ole times the grandfather clock chimed. It chimed all of the chime selections one after another. We all looked at each other wide eyed as the clock was not working at the time. (no ticks... No tocks... Nothing and it had been many years since the clock was even wound.) Regardless we all had a kind of freak-out moment.

The clock now rests at my Mother and Father's home. I spent many hours working with it to get the innards cleaned up and working again. We even had a clock guy come over and work with it to fine tune it and replace the hammers. So now it works perfect. My Mother uses it from time to time. Sometimes she will stop the clock to get a rest from the sounds, as it is a noisy clock when it is working. Every now and then it will start up by itself and give us all a wow moment. This clock has come to be dear to me. I often wonder if our family has a spirit connection to it, or if it is linked to the afterlife. Is it controlled by the ghosts of its former owners? I wonder a lot about that clock. Will it chime when my parents pass? Will it chime when I come to pass?

Other hauntings by old_dude

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, old_dude, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-09-18)
I'd say YES, it's all connected. 😊 There is a connection as "spirit" and the "after Life" are. Sounds like the warmth of family letting you know they are home. And I also agree that growing up in the woods is a blessing. That's amazing the clock was a kit bought at Sears. There seems to be a family attachment there for sure. ❤ I bet it will chime again with a significant happening in your family.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-16)
Old Dude, reading this is very timely for me as I'm in the middle of attempting to fix the chimes on one of my grandfather clocks (I have two of them lol) Anyway, one's chimes are overwound, pretty sure I need a pro but I'm persevering due to being proud and stubborn lol.

The way I took your experience with this wonderful clock is that your grandparents were consciously interacting with it during those times. Either physically interacting with the clock or emotionally influencing it somehow, maybe not purposefully so in the latter case. As for the new residents hearing it in this home, wow that is cool! As your Grandfather loved the clock so much, I guess these residents are experiencing residual recordings of the clock. Love that!

Yes, I know you've not been active for ages, but I'm commenting anyway. 😜
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-15)
Old_dude, yay! I can't wait to see it, I'm so curious as to what it looks like.
old_dude (16 stories) (112 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-15)
I finally got the pic of the clock but I have yet to post it. Stay tuned...
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-15)
Hey thanks old_dude 😁 your the best, really. I love true stories with actual pictures, and I happy your willing to get a picture, I really wondering what the clock looked like, my grandparents used to have a tall grandfather clock and I loved it.
old_dude (16 stories) (112 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-01-13)
I can take a pic of the clock. Its at my parent's house. Next time I am there I'll try to remember. I'll post it the same way I posted a pic of the Doctor's door.
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-09)
Old_dude,
Do you by any chance have a picture of the clock? Or can you take one.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-06)
I agree with Babygoat, touching story. It would have been a tear gusher if I hadn't just read a previous tear gusher, and I'm all gushed out! Thankyou much.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-05)
Another great one old_dude! You really should consider writing a book. I'd stand in line to get it. 😁
jwarren (1 stories) (23 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-03)
That is a very cool experience. It actually hits home for me because my parents have had a large grabdfather clock in there home for as long as I can remember. It hasn't exhibited any spiritual properties but it really helped me visualize your experiences. I know it is a bit morbid to think about but it would be interesting to see if it does go of when oter family members pass.

Thank you so much for sharing!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: