You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Childhood Haunted Home In Stc

Real Ghost Stories

Childhood Haunted Home In Stc

 

Ghost stories - here are a few of my remembrances...

My parents built our house and we moved in a year after I was born in 1970 on Ron Sue Lane in St. Charles (STC), IL USA. So there were no previous owners. Nor was there any death on the property that I am aware of. The land was a wooded area in the middle of farm land before we built on it. Our house was on 2.5 acres of woods on top of a hill. Tribes of American Indians lived along the Fox River and in our town, but I am not aware of any direct history of them living on the same land as my childhood home.

I truly believe there was something "haunted" or creepy about the house early on and then worse after we "played" with the Ouija board. What really confirms this belief for me is my lack of fear in the 3 homes I have owned as an adult (2 of those homes were over 100 years old which have way more history than my childhood home) and watching my 3 children growing up with no nightmares/fear of the dark or something paranormal.

However, I am currently 45 years old in 2015 and still have nightmares about the house I grew up in. I actually have dreams that my parents gift my husband and I the house (which is close to $500k in my dreams). And I have to deal with the heartache of saying I don't want a house that is incredibly valuable. I can't tell my parents why because they would be insulted and I can't imagine saying yes because it's haunted.

My earliest scary memory was when I was 5 years old. We had a basement that had a smooth, concrete floor and a few supporting beams throughout. If I had to guess, our basement was 1500 sq ft. The basement was divided up front with a staircase, two medium-sized storage or work rooms near the staircase, followed by an open space only split up by 4 to 6 inch diameter metal beams. I used to go down to the basement in the morning and ride my tricycle all around before my half-day kindergarten that started after noon. I would tear around weaving through the spread out beams (there were maybe 3 in a row and 4th off to the side). The floor was pretty open and well lit by the ceiling light bulbs.

During my usual routine of riding around the basement on my red tricycle, I suddenly stopped in front of an old black storage chest. My Mom told me this is an old chest that one of her relatives used to transport their stuff to the US when they came here from Lithuania. My Dad had drilled pretty big holes in it (probably 1.5 inch diameter holes every 10 inches or so) because my older siblings would play in the chest a lot and my parents were afraid of it shutting and locking a kid inside of it. Well, this chest was always in a side section that we played in and never bothered me. Suddenly I had the impression there was a man in the chest looking out at me, he wasn't good, and I was scared. I actually believe I saw his eye through one of the holes. What made me realize he was in there is when his eye moved to watch me through a hole and it caught my attention. I raced across the basement, turned right and flew up the steps to our kitchen and this is my last memory where I had no fear of our basement. That fear still exists today 40 years later.

Soon after that incident my parents transformed the basement into a great family room with a pool table. In the middle of the night we would hear pool balls rolling around and cracking into each other through the air vents that led down to the furnace in the basement by the pool table. I know no one was down in the basement and something else was making the pool balls roll around.

I have 3 older siblings and my next older sister got a Ouija board somewhere around her 11th birthday when I was around 7 years old. This would be in the mid-1970s. I don't remember this story as much as I remember when my Mom just recently retold the story. I've asked my one sister and parents in the last few years if they thought the house in St. Charles was haunted. My sister said yes, I said yes, and my parents said no. My folks were shocked by our answers.

Anyway... It was a rainy summer afternoon. We were hanging out in our den which had windows on the south side of the room opposite of the TV where we focused our attention in the evenings. The room wasn't very big (maybe 12x15 ft). My Mom was lying down reading on a couch that was on a side wall and the kids were playing the Ouija board on the carpet next to her. While my mom read she said we asked a bunch of leading questions, accused each other of pushing the triangle thing around, and boredom was entering the room.

I guess my older brother or sister asked my Mom to ask the Ouija board a question. My mother was half snoozing and relaxing reading her book but she decided to play along. She asked the board, "What is my father's name?". If the board was to give an accurate answer, she expected her father's first name or her maiden last name. Instead of the Ouija planchette spelling out her maiden US name that she had all her life and that we knew, my Mother observed the planchette spelling out her father's Lithuanian last name. It was spelled and sounded much different than his US name. She knew that none of us knew that name. She was actually surprised herself and it took her awhile to realize what was being spelled out, as it wasn't a name she had referenced for years. Once she saw it was spelling her deceased father's Lithuanian last name, she was a bit freaked out but she remained calm for our sakes and told us to get outside and play as the rain was letting up.

I used to love playing with the Ouija board so much so I'd use it myself when no one would play it with me. My sister told me I should stop playing with the board as she heard from a friend in school that it was demons or bad spirits that came through the board. I didn't believe her and I had made a ghost "friend" called "3." I don't remember what questions I would ask 3. I think it was questions about whether certain boys liked me, etc. Well, the last time I used the board I was in my bedroom all alone. It was the middle of the day and decided to play with the board. I asked my friend 3 to talk to me. After a few general questions I decided to try and find out if what my sister heard was right so I asked it something like, "Are you from Heaven?" It answered "No." Then I asked, "Are you from Hell?" And it answered "Yes." I freaked out and pushed the board away and told 3 not to talk to me again unless it was in Heaven. I will never touch a Ouija board again.

The last experiences I'll share were the most significant. I was 16 and was finishing up some homework in my room. I was sitting on my bed with our dog (a big standard Poodle). I completed my work and was tired so I pushed my papers and math book onto the floor next to the bed. My bed was a small twin bed in the corner of the room diagonally opposite the door to the hallway. Next to my bed was a nightstand with my lamp and a glass of water on it. It was a few minutes before 10pm and my Dad was the last person still awake in the house.

As I started to fall asleep, I heard a sound under my open shelved bookcase across the room by the door. It sounded scratchy like a mouse or gerbil running around in circles on paper. It reminded me very much of what it sounded like when my pet gerbil would get loose, but I hadn't owned a gerbil for several years at that point in time. So I leaned over and turned on my lamp next to the bed. I could see easily under my bookshelves and there was nothing there. No paper, no mouse.

So I turned the light off and put my head down again. Then I heard the same sound again near the foot of my bed. I turned on the light and there was nothing there. I turned the light off and lied down again. Then I heard the sound next to my bed where I did have my homework papers. I turned on the light and poked my papers around. There was nothing in the papers.

After I turned off the light again, I heard the sound UNDER my bed. I turned on the light, but there was no way I was putting my head under the bed to look. So I kicked my dog off of the bed and shoved her head under the bed. She didn't seem to see anything and if there was an animal in my room my dog would have been chasing it right away. My dog jumped back up on the bed and lied down again while I turned off the light.

Then my bed started to shake. It was shaking very lightly. I honestly didn't know if it was my heart beating so loud or my dog's tail thumping on the bed. So once again I turned on the light and the bed was still shaking. So I took the glass of water next to my bed and held it on the mattress to make sure I wasn't imagining the shaking. The water in the glass sloshed back and forth. So at this point I jumped up and yelled for my Dad.

My Dad came running up to my room. When he got there the bed had stopped shaking. I told him the whole story so he sat on my bed in the dark with me for probably 15 minutes but nothing happened. He got up and announced he was taking the dog out one last time and going to bed himself. So he left the room with the dog and I heard him go outside. I lied in my bed in the dark (but the light was still on in the hallway) and it was all quiet for about 5 minutes but then my bed started shaking again. I jumped up and ran out of the room just as my Dad was coming back in the house. I slept the rest of that night in my sisters room.

A few weeks later the bed started shaking again without any of the scratchy noises happening first. My sister had told me to pray and that anything bad couldn't hurt me while I was praying. So I said the Lord's Prayer in my head and the shaking didn't stop. I then said the Lord's Prayer out loud and the shaking stopped midway through the prayer. I think I was more scared that it stopped when I prayed because it confirmed in my mind that the source was something evil. The shaking and praying happened one more time a few weeks later and then it never happened again.

My parents moved and sold the house 20 years ago. I am often searching the web to see if any of the new owners have had any issues. I haven't seen anything posted on the web about other people's experiences in that house.

Other hauntings by NewAuthor

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, NewAuthor, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

NewAuthor (2 stories) (3 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-31)
The name of the street is now Ronsu Lane. I'm not going to put the house number in. It was named Ron Sue when I was a kid. It was named for the "farmers" 2 children. I put farmer in quotes because later I was told he wasn't a farmer but the accountant for the Baker family and inherited or somehow got the property. He lived across the street from us and his son owned a farm on the land a bit north off of Crane Rd. His last name started with a Z. They were a lovely family and very, very nice. The grandson was also named Ron (from what I remember) or similar and he was a few years younger than me.
Lucky8 (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-27)
I live in the area. There is no street by this name. Did it change names or is it a private street?
phenonw (1 stories) (32 posts)
-1
9 years ago (2015-01-28)
demonshauntme, you have Nothing to be sorry about!
You have it correct.
Glad your here.
So back to the story. It was Very good, well written, enjoyed it very much. The demon/bad spirit (what ever you want to call it) come in with the use of the O board.
Am glad you are away from it. I suggest you Never go back there.
Please write some more, you did a great job.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-08)
I'm sorry NewAuthor for using your thread for this, and hey! I just noticed you're also from Illinois!

I found it!
http://lightworkers.org/blog/90259/my-suicide-attempt-and-how-i-failed
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-08)
Hey IFI- I'm with you on your beliefs. I believe in many Deities too. My theory is once one has reached a certain enlightenment level, after their death they are able to come back as a spirit guide to help those still on earth. What I mean is I believe Jesus was once a person, just like Buddha, and others I may not have heard of yet, and while they were alive they had trained themselves to be "awakened", and that's how they were able to perform "miracles". I don't know what kind of stuff, but I think things like healing, and channeling work like mediums and such, but a much higher level. Maybe even one day Gandhi will become a God, all it takes is for someone to see him though their meditation or something, then make a sculpture, and voila! Another God.
WHat led me to believe this is I once read an article about a man who tried to commit suicide by carbon monoxide. He took some beers and proceeded to wait in his car in his garage with the windows down. As his vision started to fade, all of a sudden a beautiful east Indian woman in a white sari appeared before him. He said he was very surprised to see her as he was a white boy from Illinois and expected to see Jesus. She asked him "young man, do you really want to die today? If you do, you will never meet these wonderful boys". She then showed him 2 boys, and at this moment he became very emotional and said no he does not want to die any more. At that, his vision started to come back and he managed to crawl into his home and call for help.

So, this taught me many things and opened my eyes. I have to find that article and post it!
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-08)
raises hand to answer; I believe God and Jesus 'exist' however I also believe other Deities exist as well and choose to worship them all. And I would like to further point out that Satan does not exist to me. That is all.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-08)
Sorry to interrupt but I felt the need to say that "God" is different in everyone's eyes. I think many people misuse that word. To some, Buddha is their God, to others, Jesus, and others, other entities. God is not a religion in my mind, but the faith that one chooses to follow. Just my 2 cents on that.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-01-08)
demonshauntme - your personal belief is fine. Just remember there are others on our site who don't share your belief. Be respectful to them as you would want them to be about your belief and things should go smoothly 😊
demonshauntme (1 stories) (29 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-01-08)
Iam sorry if I upset you or any one else, I did not mean to. Please understand that even with an open mind I can't help that I believe in God, and try to help people the best way I know, that is the christian way. Iam not a fanatic, and respect all your oppinons and your culture and religion. I only try to help. Again sorry if my words upset you.
babygirl15081995 (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-08)
Hey... The your story about the bed shaking I had the same experience... I don't know exacly what it was but I had an idea it was demons...
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-08)
I'm shocked that your mother was so disinterested that her children were playing with an ouija board... Laughing... Wow... That's SO seventies. I had a very, uncannily really, similar experience... It's not posted on here, because it's not a long enough story. Simply, a house that I lived in as a teenager after my parents divorced... Didn't feel essentially haunted or malevolent. Felt, kind of neutral. I was thirteen, and some friends and I held (a rather amatuer) seance in my bedroom. Clearly, however... Not amateur enough... The house was never the same. Surprisingly enough, the seance didn't seem that effective. Very, like, giggle infused " you're moving it man! " styles... Funnily enough, it wasn't the room that we held seance in where the bed began to shake... But the smaller room next door to it. The activity began in the weeks that followed that seance. My sister complained of it, so my brother switched rooms. Then he freaked when I happened to him also. My mother, thinking everyone had scared themselves silly, decided to spend a night in the bed to neutralise everyone's being hyped up about it... And woke with the bed shaking. Another odd thing was when I was discussing the whole wierd course of events with a friend who was a devout bible thumper. As I was telling him, a glass candle holder fell from the shelf above the window and smashed through the glass lid of the fish tank below. Now... I'm willing to believe that was a coincidence. But... To this day I can't figure out how that thing fell. I was relieved to move out a year later.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-01-08)
demonshauntme - please keep in mind there are many different cultures, religions, beliefs, etc represented on this site. Not everyone believes that using a Ouija board is evil and/or needs God's forgiveness.

Next time, if there is one, try and phrase your comment a little differently. If you are strongly convinced of this, perhaps you should refrain from commenting on stories of this nature.

Thank you
demonshauntme (1 stories) (29 posts)
-1
9 years ago (2015-01-07)
Well, shoving the dogs head under the bed ha ha. But getting serious playing with the ouija board? Not good, shaking bed? Worse. Nothing else? Good. You need to pray, that is clear, and ask God for forgivnes about the board. In the bible such activitys are evil in the eyes of God.
bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-06)
Very good story, creepy and well told, but I have to say... I too found the "shoving of your dogs head under the bed" line, hilarious...:-D
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-06)
NewAuthor- Great story and very well written. There is a lot of things in the story that can lead one to think the paranormal. My first thought was the old trunk may have something attached to it. Then the big "O" came into play. That in itself will/can do wonders with the paranormal as I'm sure you know.

Had a good chuckle when you shoved your dogs head under the bed. That was funny.

Anyways, great story. Maybe you have some more?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: