You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: One of my Previous Houses

Real Ghost Stories

One of my Previous Houses

 

I am new to this site, but have been interested in psychic matters for several years. I thought you might be interested to hear about one of my former homes. It was an ex-council house built in the 1960's, which is relatively modern but it needed a lot of redecorating. However, it meant that it was cheap for such a big house. When we viewed the property, the house seemed OK but for some reason I felt uneasy in the back bedroom.

We were desperate to move and our budget was low, so despite my dad asking "Are you sure?" I jumped straight in. It turned out to be the worst 2 years of my life. The first day we moved in, I realized that we had made a mistake. I could deal with the dirt, but the place left me feeling depressed and withdrawn.

After a few weeks, we noticed that the atmosphere would become repressive at certain times of the day. It would literally go from being quite bright to miserable. We had 2 birds, whose cages were kept in the living room. They changed from being happy to being withdrawn and quiet. When I practiced my flute in the upstairs box-room, I could hear someone walking around in the room next door. Whenever I investigated, there would be no one there and my husband would be sitting on the computer downstairs.

At night, I would shut the door to the back bedroom or pull it across the doorway when it was off its hinges because I had to walk past it to get to the bathroom. I also felt uneasy at the top of the stairs, like I was going to fall. Once, I saw something with long hair, but never told my husband.

Every evening, I would be laying on the sofa in the living room while my husband was on the computer and something cold would come in and sit by my feet. I also felt uneasy standing at the top of the stairs. Also, if you stood in the kitchen you could sometimes see "something" or someone standing in the hallway. The most frightening thing that happened to me there though was when I stood at the bottom of the stairs early one evening. I looked up and saw a shadowy column came out of the bathroom and move across the landing. I am not easily frightened, but will admit that after that I never stood in the hallway without the both the upstairs and downstairs lights on ever again!

The interesting thing is that my neighbors told me they used to hear someone walking across their upstairs hallway from the bathroom until they bought a dog and it stopped.

We managed to stay there for just under 2 years before moving house again. The new place was a like breath of fresh air. As soon as we moved into our new home, our birds changed back into happy little things again. During the first week in the new house my husband admitted that he'd seen "something" with long hair in the old one, but had not told me because he thought I'd be scared. Something cold used to touch his shoulder and he'd also felt uneasy at the top of the stairs.

A good friend told us he'd hated the old house and would not stand in the living room because he felt "something" there. I'd always wondered why he'd stood outside or in the garage! Another friend, who doesn't believe in spirit admitted that she'd hated the back bedroom.

I've moved again since. I am glad to say that this house is not haunted either!

Other hauntings by Elephant

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Elephant, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-09)
Hello Elephant.
Wow. Thank goodness you were able to move out of there. It seems as if there were a BAD negative atmosphere there, no wonder your poor little birdies were not happy.
I wonder about the landing on the stairway. It sounds like that is where whatever happened before happened. I am glad nothing seriously harmful happened and that you did not have to live in that atmosphere for too long.
What is a council house?
Thank you.
Elephant (3 stories) (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-17)
Hi,
Many thanks for your kind comments about my story. I don't know if anything happened in our old house. However, our neighbours did mention that the previous owner of their own house was found dead in the garden. I doubt that would have any bearing on our old property though. Also, I was told that a house down the road had the ghost of a young girl in it. Again, I doubt that would have affected ours.
Yes, I did spend most of the 2 years on edge. It was just about the worst time of my life. In a way, we were lucky that our "resident" didn't move things around or harm us. It was really just a few sightings and being touched. Needless to say, the experience was enough to convince me to listen to my instincts when buying another house and never to fall prey to desperation (or a cheap house!) again! We both chose our next house because it had such a nice atmosphere and this was also the case with our current one. 😊
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-16)
Welcome, Elephant! You must have spent those 2 years on edge! That would be really tiring with something going on all the time. I'm glad you've moved to more peaceful houses and things have gotten better for you. Thanks for sharing your story!
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-16)
WOW nice story. I liked your story. Maybe somthing did happen in that house. I think Shane is on the right track. I think a little research would answer our questions but I'm happy for you that you are living in a peacfull place. See you soon and take care
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-15)
Hmmm, wonder what or who it could have been in that home? Did you ever do any research and see if you could find anything on the property or any events that took place there. I get the picture of someone falling down those stairs, maybe not falling but being pushed. I am not psychic, I am just going off past experience with research done around other homes that involved staircases. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: