You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Former Owner Of My House?

Real Ghost Stories

The Former Owner Of My House?

 

It has been a while since I have posted on this site. Since then, I purchased and moved into a new house. My wife and I bought a 1970's Ryan Home (if you're from PA or Ohio, you should know the type of house) from the original owners, as the husband had become very ill and was no longer able to do stairs. He actually fell down the stairs and was injured prior to their decision to move him into a nursing home. My neighbors who knew him all told me about how much he loved this house and how he really resisted moving.

Next to nothing had been done to the home in terms of upkeep for the past 10 years, and it was a time machine straight to the 1970's when we moved in (avocado appliances, burgundy carpet, ornate gold fixtures, whole house intercom system, etc). We spent all summer completely remodeling the home ourselves to the point where it would no longer be recognizable to the past owners.

About three months after we moved in (which would have been about four months ago), my wife and I were watching TV when we heard a door open and close upstairs and footsteps. Our dog went nuts barking over it. I investigated and found nothing. I said (not totally seriously) to her, "I wonder if ____ died" but did not look into it. The noises in the house continued for a few months, and we have began to joke to each other like "Uh oh that must be ____ checking on us again" (name hidden out of respect of the actual person of course).

On another occasion, a light was found turned on in one of the spare bedrooms we never use - could have been one of us, but was something we did take note of that seemed unusual. We have been hearing a lot of the same footsteps and house creaking type noises that very well could be from the framing being cold and heating up (this IS a Ryan House), but definitely catches our attention when we hear it. I will be home alone working out in the basement and will swear I heard my wife come home, the dog will run upstairs to greet her, but there is nobody there.

Well, the latest event that bumped the situation up a notch and caused me to submit this story happened about a half hour ago. I was home working from my office when my dog started barking out the window at the neighbor kids being outside sledding. I yelled to the dog to be quite a few times, and then heard a loud irritated sounding male voice from within the house clearly yell, "Be quite already, will ya?" The dog immediately shut up and looked at me with this totally bewildered look on his face, then ran downstairs to see.

I checked it out and the house was secure. I looked out the windows and the only people I saw outside where the neighborhood kids, who were doing their own thing in the adjacent yard. The voice definitely sounded to come from within the house.

So my curiosity got the best of me and I finally googled the former owner --- Yes, he did unfortunately pass away about four months ago. That really has me thinking now!

Other hauntings by NorthCoastie

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, NorthCoastie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

jaderae (3 stories) (29 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-05)
Man, I would be pretty spooked! I enjoyed your story, please keep us updated if anything else happens!
wolfhunterxx (3 stories) (7 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-22)
NorthCoastie - I am a police officer and also have had numerous paranormal experiences, similar to what you have had. I actually have posted one of those stories on here. I would really like the opportunity to converse a little bit with you, I have a couple questions about similar experiences. Please email me if you'd like. My email is intoyourarmsxx [at] gmail.com
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-15)
Sounds like the old boy came home. I agree with everyone els that if he's cool with you, why not co-habit. Especialy if your dog has calmed down and is greeting him. You can ask them nicely to abide by boundries like Wish said. You can even ask him to manifest for your wife and he might. I discovered the sad way that sometimes these guys are good to have around, and you might not want to lose him.
Madgurlee (19 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-15)
thats brilliant, it sounds like he went home when he died. If hes not causing harm leave him be but if you don't want him id call ourt to him and ask him to kindly move on as this is no longer his home.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-14)
NorthCoastie- Sometimes a current owner has to put their foot down and put guidelines for the guest. Tell him the bathroom is off limits. As well as your bedroom.

From my experiences they do listen. I had one messing with the smoke alarm. I told them straight up that that would not be tolerated. It hasn't touch it since.
We did give it other options to push. It's a button pusher and delights in doing it.

If however you prefer it to move on there are various ways to take care of it. Keep us updated.
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-14)
I enjoyed reading you story, I like how you had respect for privacy, even though I am really curious about who he is. It's a good thing he's not doing any harm, but it must get annoying when you dog goes crazy like that. And I can perfectly picture an old man saying what he did I to your dog, it's exactly what one would say. Thanks for sharing your story, let us know if anything else happens. 😁 😉 😁
NorthCoastie (4 stories) (72 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-13)
The occurrences in the home aren't bothering us, and I don't sense anything negative. It does seem to be happening more frequently though. Even last night, our dog went NUTS in the middle of the night, got out of bed and started barking and growling at our bedroom door like someone was on the other side to the degree that I really thought someone had broken in. He is four years old and never has acted like this anywhere else we lived. Today, he did that creepy thing that I've heard stories about where he was looking at nothing and went up wagging his tail to empty space in the room like he was greeting someone. Who knows, maybe my dog has cabin fever or something. It isn't just him though, we have had frequent instances of my wife waking me up with the "what was that noise? It sounds like someone is in the house, go check" deal. She has absolutely zero belief in ghosts or the spirit world, so bringing in a paranormal investigator is out of the question. It would take an actual apparition to manifest right in front of her and say "hello, I am a ghost" to even get her to consider it as a possibility. I'm going to monitor the situation and see if things get worse, then I may take action. As long as this guy isn't spying on my wife (or myself for that matter) in the shower, it really hasn't bothered me. He just needs to understand he has to move on.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+3
9 years ago (2015-01-13)
NorthCoastie- I am going to echo both ifihadyoux and elnora on the previous owner came home. I'm guessing he is dealing with you and your family living there.
That was awesome that he yelled at your dog. Maybe not for him or the dog but wow.

Those unexpected voices can really freak one out. I have had to deal with that.

Great share. Hope you keep us updated.
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-13)
Since he loved the house and resisted moving, it would make sense that he would return to the house. Since he spoke directly to the dog, that would seem to rule out that possibility of it just being the residual from their years of living there.

Great account, thank you far sharing:)
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-13)
That probably is him then, since he really loved the home and it would make sense he would return to it. It is widely known that renovations to older homes stir up paranormal activity, because it is disturbing the energy that has been left in the home. Perhaps another reason as to why he's there?

Is he bothering you at all? Do you sense any negativity? Have you tried talking to him or cleansing the home?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: