You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Dog Shadow

Real Ghost Stories

The Dog Shadow

 

This experience I've had happened in 2013 over the winter. My mother and I were sitting in my room on my bed bonding and talking about whatever there was to talk about. To give you an idea of my room: Once you enter, my bed is up against the left wall, I have my dresser right beside my bed, my closet would be right beside you, and on the right wall I have my TV, and my window with curtains on it. My room is connected to a room that my grandmother calls the green room. It just contains plants, her watering cans, planting tools etc.

So my mother and I were speaking and she looked toward my window and she just kept staring. So I looked toward the window and saw the shadowy outline of a dog, it looked like a German Shepherd. At first I was like, "Why is there a dog at my window?" Then I realized that it was winter and my grandmother ALWAYS leaves the door to the green room locked. That's when my mother and I realized that this shadow was a spirit because nothing could have gotten in or could have gotten out.

For some reason I was really scared. I couldn't see the spirit, but it was so intimidating because of its stance and the way its tail was wagging. I turned to my mom and asked, "Can you please go and check what is behind those curtains at my window? I don't want to do it." I was so scared I was just sitting there staring at the dog to see if it would do anything. My mom looked at me like I was crazy and said, "Hell no. I'm not getting up." So I grabbed my cell phone and called my father to come and see what this was.

Twenty minutes later, the shadow was still there. I heard my father enter the house and I yelled out, "DAD! COME NOW! HURRY." He rushed into my room and my mother told him that there was a shadow at my window. He looked towards the window, saw the shadow, hesitated and walked over. The shadow is still there in the same position. When he pulled back the curtains - guess what? NOTHING WAS THERE. We were so confused because we all saw the shadow there. Where could it have gone?

I don't know my house's history, and I certainly don't know if the past owners had a dog. But still until this day, I think about that shadow at my window and where it came from.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, paranormalbeautyx, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

paranormalbeautyx (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-18)
Miracles - Because I was so curious I asked my family if the past owners ever had any pets, they said yes, a pitbull and a German Shepherd that had passed away.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-01-18)
Paranormalbeauty - confirmed by who? Who found out about the dogs and how did they get the information?
paranormalbeautyx (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-18)
Update: It's confirmed that the past owners used to own a German Shepherd and a pitbull. They used to hang around the backyard and the green room, then they passed away.
paranormalbeautyx (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
I was baffled that it was there **

Typing from my cell, my apologies.
paranormalbeautyx (1 stories) (11 posts)
-1
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
RitaCMW - Thank you for your comment. I really don't think this spirit meant any harm, because it didn't scare me so much that I was shaking to the bone - it just startled me and I was baffled that I was there. It was intimidating like it wanted to "see" what I was going to do. That's the way it's stance was.
paranormalbeautyx (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
Lady-glow, I meant that I couldn't see the spirit like inside the room, because it was outside my window. I couldn't see it's face, or anything like that, that's what I meant...
RitaCMW (2 stories) (16 posts)
-1
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
It is not true that a wagging tail means a dog is friendly. A low swung tail can mean fear and a tail that is straight up will often come before aggression. Paranormalbeautyx was scared and intimidated and I would trust her impression. It is possible this dog used to live there and upon returning was upset to see her and not its former owners. At any rate, please let us know if it comes back again. Most importantly, trust your own judgment regarding your safety.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
I got confused on this part of your story:
"...I looked toward the window and saw the shadowy outline of a dog, it looked like a German..."
And then:
"... I was really scared. I couldn't see the spirit, but it was so intimidating..."
So, -did you see it or did you not?

I like Miracles explanation about small dogs, or any other object, casting large shadows according to its position and distance to a source of light; -would it be possible that the shadow was from a neighbor's dog or a coyote?

As for the twenty or more minutes the shadow was there wagging its tale -it is a shame you didn't take a picture or a video with your cell phone! 😢
paranormalbeautyx (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
Valkricry - Hm, maybe you're right. Maybe it was a pop in just popping in to say Hello - a very startling way of saying Hello, LOL. I will try and find out information about my house. It's still fairly new, it was built around 20 years ago I believe. 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
paranormal - I'm not suggesting this wasn't a paranormal experience, just providing alternate scenarios. Smaller dogs can cast large shadows, depending upon where they are. Dogs can get out of the way very quickly, believe. There are many times I'll call for mine and he's there one minute, next he's out of my sight.

As for the paw prints, unless the ground was wet, there was snow or the ground had frost on it (something like that), more than likely there wouldn't be prints.

Again, I'm not saying I don't believe you experienced something out of the ordinary. I'm just saying sometimes there are normal explanations for things we don't understand.
paranormalbeautyx (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
Wish-Not - I will certainly be more aware. Thank you, you too.
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
paranormalbeautyx,
I'm trying to think of how to word this so that I don't sound quite daft, so bare with me. There are wandering spirits that I call pop-ins. You have no idea who they are, or why you saw them, but you know you did. You might see them only once in a life time, or several times over a period of time, but just as suddenly as they appeared, they're gone. Maybe they once had a connection to the land, or the house, someone who use to live there, or are just plain curious. No one knows for sure, and they always seem harmless. Except for maybe startling the poop out of you 😆. Anyway, the point is this, I don't see why this could not extend to animal spirits as well. Maybe he was just sizing you up, the way any dog does; if I come by you will you pet me or yell at me? Are YOU friendly? You get my drift.
paranormalbeautyx (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
Miracles51031 - But wouldn't there have been movement of this dog running away as he was opening the curtains? It couldn't have ran away that fast when my father opened them. Also, there were no signs of paw prints around the backyard when I went out there later.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
Looking forward to your next story. Keep an eye out for the dog, one never knows when they will show.
Have a great weekend.
paranormalbeautyx (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
Wish-Not - Yes I still currently live in this house in this same exact room. & No there is one more, that I will post another time.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
*this*...and is this the only experience that you know of that has occurred?

Sorry, sometimes my fingers and mind don't work together. 😁
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
parabeautyx- Do you still live in this house? And is the only experience that you know of that has occurred?
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
paranormalbeautyx - having had dogs all my life, I can assure you there are many reasons why a living dog would run away when a curtain is pulled back.
paranormalbeautyx (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
Wish-not - After the curtains went back into place, the shadow was gone - like it wasn't even there in the first place. I believe this spirit was harmless, as you said it was wagging it's tail, but I'm still wondering why it just suddenly showed up out of the blue. I wonder if it was there the whole time my mother and I were speaking, just watching us. Thanks for the info about the wagging tail. 😊
paranormalbeautyx (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
I don't believe it was anything in my room that was creating this shadow because it was coming from outside. It was really bright outside as well, and this shadow was solid, no light was going through it. If it were just a dog from outside then why would it have disappeared as soon as my dad pulled back the curtains? Maybe it was harmless because I haven't seen it since. 😊
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
parabeautyx- That is kind of creepy. I am wondering if after the curtain came back in place if the shadow was still there or gone?

I understand that it was a freighting moment (intimidating) however if the dog was wagging it's tail, my take is it meant no harm. When a dog has ill intent they don't wag their tail. Just a thought on that.

Could have been the spirit from a dog that did reside there. Maybe it was just trying to introduce it self to you and your mother.

Thanks for sharing.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
ifi - none of us are experts and most of us speak from what we have learned 😊 And I'm right there with you when admitting I'm wrong about something.
elnoraemily (guest)
+2
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
It seemed like a friendly puppy if it was just standing there, wagging. Do you know any history of who owned the house before and if they had a dog?

Since the curtains and such played into this- and faced a room full of plants- did anyone do any debunking into this? Things that had been moved, things that could have been blowing around?
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
well I am first to admit when I am not right! I am no expert, I just speak form what I know or have experienced.:]
Yeah it can be creepy either way, everyone is different!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
ifi - I love when someone says correct me when I'm wrong 😆 LOL Seriously, though, I've read many accounts of ghostly white dogs that just freaked me out.

Perhaps it was just a pet who had previously lived there? We've had a couple of stories, some really good, about deceased pets who still want to protect their owners even though they no longer live there.
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
From my understanding, and feel free to correct me if I am completely wrong, the only evil dogs are the ones you see that are completely black which represents a demon like entity.
If all you saw was a shadow, I think it was harmless.
Did you check to see if anything in your room was making the shadow, or even something from outside?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: