You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Glass

Real Ghost Stories

Glass

 

When I was 6 years old, my family purchased a house that was built on an old run down farm property. Behind the newly built fence in the backyard sat an old manor that was probably over 100 years old. A family temporarily lived in that house, until suddenly one day they packed up and moved away leaving tons of possessions behind. Perhaps they went bankrupt and got kicked out of their home for not paying there bills. I have never found out why. There is still old silos falling apart, rusting over farm equipment hidden under branches and over grown trees, old tires, and broken rusted barrels scattered everywhere behind the fence.

I was never a firm believer in ghosts until I moved here with my family. It all started the night of the super bowl in 2001. It was just my mom and I at home, while my dad was out watching the game with some friends. We were sitting on the couch, goofing around when suddenly the power in our house went out. We looked out the front window, and to our surprise we were the only on the street who had lost their power. My mom started to get a little nervous and anxious, so she looked around the house to ensure nobody was in there, once she cleared the house we sat down and lit some candles and waited for the power to return. Not too long after, the power resumed and we went back to watching TV. 10 minutes later, again, the power shut off and we were left in the dark. This repeatedly happened for over an hour. We couldn't figure it out, why is ours the only house in the area loosing its power. Shortly after the second outage, we heard a loud crash coming from the basement, almost as if a table or a piece of furniture had been pushed over. I immediately started shaking out of fear and my mother was on the verge of calling 911. She bravely went down into the basement to find absolutely nothing. She searched every nook and corner in the house that night and found nothing.

Not too long after the first incident, it was just my mom and I again, as my dad was away on a business trip. Everything seemed normal that evening, had a bath, relaxed, then crawled into bed. At about 3am, I awoke to my mom shaking me. I remember how scared she looked while telling me that she heard glass breaking downstairs somewhere. She told me to lock the door, and to call 911 if I hear her yell. I was frightened, but followed her instructions while she bravely went downstairs to see if everything was alright. She searched the place up and down and didn't find a thing. That was until the next morning when we walked into the kitchen to find pieces of glass everywhere. My mom was shocked as she searched the kitchen many times in the night after hearing the glass breaking. The weird part about this is that the glass didn't come from a window or drinking glass. It actually came from the chandelier cover we have hanging about our kitchen table. There are 6 bulbs, each with a glass cover over top of them. Now the strangest part was that only the rim of ONE cover was broken. And it looked like someone took a pair of scissors and cut a perfectly straight line around the cover and placed the pieces around the kitchen. It was pretty weird and until this day I don't have an explanation for it.

Another incident occurred around the same time, both my mom and dad were in bed and I was having trouble sleeping that night so I layed in bed and watched some TV. It was a little after 3am when our alarm system began going off. My dad ran downstairs to shut off the loud blaring and to read the system and find out where our house had been breached. It read that the basement had a broken window. While I was hiding in my room with my mom, my dad searched the house and didn't find anyone. What he did find was that about 10 objects in the basement had been thrown onto the ground. A large candle holder, picture frames, a vase, and some other junk was flung from the tables they were originally on. Perhaps the loud noise of these objects hitting the ground confused the alarm to thinking glass had been broken? Still unsure of this incident.

There are too many incidents of lights going on and off to get into great detail. All I can say is most nights we would wake up with our bedroom lights on, or the main hall light on. Some nights my mom and dad would wake up to have every single light in their bedroom on (including the bathroom and walk-in closet light).

One night in 2011, I awoke the next morning with a sore forehead. When I went to go look in the mirror I had a cut directly between my eyebrows and extended up to my hair line. It was semi-deep. You could tell it happened in the later hours of the night as the blood was dried. It hurt. I'm not sure if I managed to do that in my sleep. But if I did, wouldn't I wake up from the discomfort or pain?

I recently have moved out of the house and got my own place in Toronto. My mom and dad still reside in the house and often tell me of strange things that happen. I'm not sure what to make of whatever it is that is happening. The old farm house was demolished in 2011, however, all the silos and old farm equipment is still sitting behind my house under overgrown shrubs and branches.

Thank you for reading.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Lauren_Kub, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-02-08)
Lauren, if I'm understanding right, the house you lived in was built on the property of that old manor, and NOT the manor itself right? Would you happen to know if something had stood where your house now is? An old out building, perhaps?
The cut between your brows to hairline - it's possible you did it in your sleep. Exactly how, I couldn't say, especially since it was 'semi-deep', so unless you had incredibly sharp nails, or slept with a knife... But no, you wouldn't necessarily wake from the discomfort or pain. Head wounds are 'bleeders', because the capillaries run so close to the surface, the tiniest cut can give the impression of being really deep until the blood is cleared up. However, blood clots/dries rather quickly, in general 10-15 minutes, so it really could have happened at anytime after you were asleep.
You might want to investigate the property some. See what kind of history you can turn up.
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-06)
Lauren_Kub,
I pretty sure when people suddenly move out of a house leaving many possession behind, it means there was like a midlife crisis or something (though ingot 100% positive. But anyway, I would have been nervous like your mom was too, that's a pretty scary situation. I loved your story, and thanks for sharing it. You say your parents still live there, well then you should get some ghost hunters over there if they are okay with it, it definatly sounds like a place ghost hunters would an should investigate! Thanks again for sharing you story, its well written, I'd love to hear more from you if you got any other experts to talk about. 😊
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-05)
hi, Lauren_Kub Very interesting story and well narrated... I am agree with kellyann87 this could be poltergeist activity.

Try to cleanse and bless your house otherwise situation can be worse.

Regards,
kellyann87 (3 stories) (44 posts)
-1
9 years ago (2015-02-04)
This to me sounds like poltergiest activity. I have read that in time they can become worse or even dangerous. I would suggest your parents to a cleansing of their house to get rid of it.
Manafon (4 stories) (74 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-02-04)
Your account was very interesting. It seems as if whatever is causing the disturbances in your family's house is trying to let all of you know it is there. Several of the occurrences sound like they were very jarring but don't seem malicious, more as if something is just trying to let you all know it is there too. Of course having things broken and thrown around is unpleasant but since nobody in your family has been injured (outside the strange cut on your forehead) it seems to be mostly a nuisance more than aggressive. That cut is odd though. As your parents are still experiencing strange occurrences, it really seems like a presence who just wants it to be known it also shares the house.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: