You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: A Lifetime Of Haunts

Real Ghost Stories

A Lifetime Of Haunts

 

This might get a little long, just warning.

I was born a believer of spirits and ghosts, and have grown to believe that it is my family and I that are haunted not the houses in which we reside. I'm 17 now, but I have seen a lot of paranormal activity that would make some grown men cry.

It all started before I was even born. My mother was about 7 months pregnant with me when her best friend died in a car accident. He died later that day at the hospital.

When he died my parents received the house that he had lived in before his death; I was born 2 months later. My mother says that the paranormal activity started soon after they brought me home. She would hear my rattles going off by themselves in the dead of night when everyone was asleep. She also says that I would be crying, and then a few seconds later sound as if I was being comforted by an unseen force.

I grew up thinking that hearing voices and seeing shadows was normal, because they happened often. I would hear whispers in my closet, and would tell my Mom that there were eyes that stared at me from my doorframe when it was dark. She always brushed it off, until I was about 8 when we were in the Master bedroom laying on her bed together and the door slammed and a male voice said, "Help me (my mother's name) ". Then she couldn't deny it, our house was haunted, possibly by the best friend she had lost in a tragic accident.

The last big incident that occurred at this house was that one night about midnight, it sounded like a plastic bag was being moved around in my room. Thinking it was a mouse, I ran out to the living room where my mom was sitting. She went into my bedroom and the noise had stopped, and there was no plastic bags in my room. Needless to say I slept with my mom that night.

It didn't end with that house, though. Since my childhood residence we have moved 5 times, and each location has had activity. The second house we lived in was a 2 story house, and we would hear footsteps above us, up and down the stairs, and felt overall very uneasy in that house. I couldn't sleep peacefully when we lived there because there was a little girl who liked to play pranks that would wake me up every night because she threw things, giggled, and ran around causing the wood floors to creak.

The third house was probably the most peaceful. Only every once in awhile would we hear a voice, or footsteps, but one day I was home sick from school, and felt as though someone was rubbing my back. But I'm not sure this really happened, or was a sort of side effect of the medicine I had been taking.

After this we moved in with my grandparents. The house had been built by my Papa's grandparents in roughly the 1920s, and to this day our family likes to think its haunted. My great-great-grandmother walked with a cane towards the end of her life, and sometimes late at night you can hear what sounds like a cane hitting the floor, followed by muffled, soft footsteps. Also, my grandparents have a basement that we don't go into because back in the 80s my grandmother was attacked while down there by an unseen force. She refuses to talk about it to this day, by my mom says that she remembers her Mom coming back up the basement stairs all beat up with blood on her face.

Finally, we moved into the apartment I'm currently typing this in. We have been here about 5 years and this place has some of the most activity. I was taking a shower a few weeks after we moved in, and I heard the bathroom door open and a deep voice asked, "Do you need a towel?" (which btw, I did need a towel, but I sure as hell wasn't telling whoever it was that). Also when I got out of that shower, the door was closed, but I never heard it close, and it makes a very distinct noise when it shuts.

My brother's room is the most haunted room, in my opinion. We have heard a little girl's voice on several occasions, and his closet always has a noise coming from it, or its opening and closing by itself. His room colder than the rest of the apartment, and the heater never seems to help even though we know it works. We have also seen shadows on numerous occasions, and hear voices quite a bit. In my room I hear knocking noises that sound like they are inside the wall, and sometimes a deep male voice will say things, including my name.

I think that's about it. Thanks for reading this long winded ramble, and let me know what you think in the comments. Also I apologize for any spelling or grammar mistakes, my keyboard is very odd, and my spell checker hates me:)

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, WinchesterBaby97, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Cman710 (9 stories) (94 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-10)
Wow, that is just crazy. I agree, it is likely a gift, so tread lightly. Be sure to be careful. There are good and bad spirits all around, and as someone who has experienced both? It can be scary and interesting all at once. So I just say be weary, but not afraid per-say. Unless things go too far.
WinchesterBaby97 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-06)
[at] Rachness sorry I hadnt been able to check and see if there were newcomments until now, I just want to say thanks for commenting, I agree, I feel as though my family as a whole is haunted.

[at] babygoatpuller Awww thank you:) I try to see it from a rational standpoint, I don't get too scared from the activity, unless its something "big" like a door slamming or a voice.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-06)
This was very well written Winchester and had me wishing it was longer. 😁

I'm in agreement with the others in that it sounds as if you have the "gift". You sound as if you're handling all of it in a sane and rational manor and correct me if I'm wrong but you don't seem to be showing a lot of fear. Which is about the best thing you can do.

Rachness is right. Try asking them to tone things down and let them know you're aware of them but you need some space. If they get "pushy" then "push" back. Be firm, show no fear and help them to understand that you'll help if you can but you need some "down" time.

I'm no expert but you'll hear from others here that have a lot more experience than I do and will probably give you more help than I can offer.

Great read, (not a long winded ramble), and look forward to hearing more from you.
Rachness (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-05)
Thank you for sharing your story. I agree with Jemiance 100%. It sounds like the gift goes throughout your whole family. Maybe you could ask what the ghost (s) want or tell them to settle down a little and maybe they'll listen. Good luck:)
WinchesterBaby97 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-05)
[at] Jemiance thanks so much for your comment. I always thought I might have a gift, because I have always been more bothered by the activity, like I sometimes feel sick when stuff happens. But I thought it is strange that everywhere we have lived has activity, and there of course are cases where the people are haunted not the house. But again thanks for your input! 😁
Jemiance (1 stories) (18 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-05)
Well, I don't think your family is haunted. I think you may have a gift. People who are able to see and hear spirits are like a beacon of light to them. And this can bring the good ones and the bad ones. So be careful, I've been through it myself. 😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: