You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My Shadow Dog

Real Ghost Stories

My Shadow Dog

 

I have always counted myself a rational person and when I first encountered the shadow dog, I thought I was crazy.

I had just gotten my dog Yerba a few months before I saw it the first time. I had taken my dog out for a walk and decided to have a smoke while I was at it. I thought I would just let him run around while I smoked as usual. That's when I started to hear strange rustling sounds coming from the field that is in front of my house. I thought Yerba had simply gotten past me.

I was wrong. I figured I would call him back to me and go back inside. However when I called him he came from behind me. Naturally this kind of freaked me out being I live in rural NC.

I passed by the big Oak in my drive way when I saw it. It was about ten feet from the other side. It was the largest dog I had ever seen. But it wasn't solid it was entirely made of shadow and its eyes were the color of a cigarette cherry. It filled me with a sense of dread and terror I had never felt before.

I slowly made my way toward the house. Its eyes never left me. It traced my every move. Its gaze never moved away from me. I couldn't hardly sleep for a week afterwards.

I have encountered it many times since then. Strange things have happened around me since I saw it. Things move on their own, my locked bedroom door opens by itself and my grandmother said she had looked into my room and it seemed as though someone was laying next to me. I sleep alone.

I'm not sure what it is but I do know that it follows me. When I have been at my friends' houses they have heard strange noises and objects moving on their own.

I have since tried to find out what it is with no success.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, nodreams, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

dancing_rose13 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-20)
Hello, I live in NC to but now I don't really live in the rural area I live in downtown Raleigh but I was wondering if it was mountain-rural area because that is were I used to live.
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-15)
Hi nodreams! May be you was following by a hell hound as per your description.
To Gayatrishiva- Seeing a dog as different meanings in different cultures/religions so it could not be said that it was trying to protect someone from something. I some culture it is associated with gods and angles and in other Satan's allies.

Regards
Gayatrishiva (3 stories) (121 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-12)
Hi if I am right in hindus belief its kalabhairav ie guardian dog its related to Lord Shiva and if a dog is following you its a guardian and its there to protect you.
nodreams (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-11)
Hey guys this was my way to tell people my experience I have since made contact with an expert he feels the dog is a gaurdian spirit. Not something similar to black shuck from Britain. And yes I still see it but less frequent since I stopped being afraid of it. I have accepted that it is here to watch over me. Which does make me want to know what it wanted or wants to protect me from.
BaiAnina (3 stories) (41 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-11)
Hey there! In my home country, black phantom dog things are somewhat linked to shapeshifting elemental creatures that lurk around and stalk people they might have gotten fond of.

As for it being a good or evil entity, I wouldn't really know. But if you've had nightmares and gotten hurt by it (they say they can scratch you in your sleep) or made you sick with unnatural causes then it's definitely bad news. If it hasn't harmed you in any way yet, it's safe to assume that it's practically harmless. In any case, try consulting a shaman (if there's one in your area) and if the worse comes to worst, ask a priest (or any religious figure) to perform a cleansing.

Again, I'm no expert at these, but I'm simply sharing what I've learned from out here. Hope everything goes well! ❤
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-02-10)
Hi Nodreams,

Can I ask when did you first see the dog, what year?

The activities you've experienced other than the dog may not be linked to the dog. Even if they happened at the same time. Or since you first saw the dog.
Other things may have been happening without you being aware. Seeing the dog could have sharpened your senses.

My opinion is that it's nothing to worry about. I've had a dog like entity follow me for many years. It's never done me harm. Sounds like yours means no harm either.
Some believe we have animal guides, I'm open to this.

A dog is a natural protector and the only species humans coexist with in a mutually beneficial way since the dawn of civilization.

It's probably a positive presence.
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-10)
nodreams
That's a pretty terrifying experiance, I'm not sure what to think about it, I do no that I would not like to experiance that.

Check this link out maybe it is or like this thing:
Http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_dog_ (ghost)

And maybe this is what you see:
Http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/folklore/phantom-black-dogs.html
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-10)
nodreams- Well I was going to suggest another critter making the sound until you had a visual. That's some serious kind of crazy! That would have terrified me.

I really can't tell you what it was/is. Do you still see it regularly?

Thanks for sharing and welcome to YGS. Hope you find the answers that you are looking for.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: