You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My Interesting House

Real Ghost Stories

My Interesting House

 

I've lived in this house for about years with my Mother and we've agreed that some things that have happened have been unexplainable. I live in the UK, England, Stockport. My house is on a council estate which you wouldn't expect to have ghosts and as far as I'm aware, there have been no deaths in this house. I'll do my utmost best to make sure the events are in chronological order, and also explain the atmosphere that the house would have been like before these events occurred.

The first one was the first week we had moved in. I was 5 years old at the time and it happened in my old bedroom. The room is a box room with an airing cupboard, really you can just about fit a bed, a dresser and a tiny chair in there. I remember I was sleeping at the time and I had woken up, not sure why, I just did. When I opened my eyes I was facing my bedroom door and for some reason my bear suit (I pretended to be a cat, daily using it so it was on my bedroom floor) was being held up, by nothing. Being a child, I just turned over and covered my head with my covers until I fell back asleep. But it isn't something I've forgotten. That's most memorable to me because I have never seen anything like that since, in my house or in others.

The next event that seems the most big so to say, happened perhaps a couple of years later when we had more furniture. This was in the living room downstairs, it's a fairly large room. I remember the general lay out of the room. The sofa was facing the TV in the corner as the sofa was against the window. And the bookcase was right next to the living room door.

Now at the time, my Mother was cleaning the house for some reason and she was now working on the bookshelves. Because this was a time where my Mother was an avid smoker and did it inside, the books were stuck to the shelves with nicotine. Disgusting I know, but this is pretty important to the story.

Whilst she was dusting, there were some hardback books that literally would not budge. Not at all, they were that stuck down. So of course, my mother simply dusted around them. I recall going upstairs, most likely to use the bathroom, when I heard a very loud shout of pain, and when I arrived downstairs my mother was clutching her neck, with the books (that were previously immovable) on the floor next to her. As she described it to me, the books just landed on her neck as she was dusting below them. She hadn't knocked anything, and most definitely those books would not have been able to come out that far even if they were loose due to how large the shelves were. From them on, she's been absolutely determined that somebody threw them out onto her. I've tried to debunk it as I'm now older but truly, I can't see how they moved that far on their own when they were stuck down.

The next is from my mother's account as I was asleep at the time. Now at this time I must have been about the age of 13. At this time in our lives, my house would have felt very angry and very sad if there was an atmosphere about it. We had a lot of family troubles which caused a lot of angst, particularly for my mother. So this may be why this is the first and only time this has happened.

My mother was on the landing having a cigarette at the window (our window faces our next door neighbour's window, so we can see each other's landings and bedrooms with the lights on). Whilst she was looking out she apparently saw a young girl, with curls on her head and a little dress on, walk across our landing and 'disappear' into my room. She informed me that she got the chills, and was quite freaked out.

She tried to debunk this herself as our neighbour had a child around the girl's age with curly hair. When she asked our neighbour if the girl was up late at night, our neighbour replied no. This is because she was staying at her father's that weekend and wouldn't have been home. With no more children in that house, it's difficult to debunk.

Now onto the feelings this house can give us. In recent years it's calmed down considerably. I rarely feel scared for no reason in the house anymore, although I do occasionally get the chills which is then followed by my cats following something around in the room with their eyes.

There are times, though, when you walk into the house and get a sick feeling in the pit of your stomach once you close the door. There's no warning to this and sometimes it's overwhelming. You feel watched as you move throughout the house and my old room is very difficult to enter when these feelings are happening. There have been times where this has happened where my instinct has just said, "You should not be here, leave." And I have swiftly got my coat and left the house for an hour or so, when returning it feels more or less fine usually. As I said, it rarely happens but when it does, it's overwhelming and without warning.

My old room (the box room) has always felt funny. I've never felt safe in that room for some reason and always like something was watching me from the end of the bed. Most of the time I've simply said that I was young and it was just my imagination now that I'm in my big room across the landing and feel fine. We now use this box room as a laundry and storage room for all our books. Both me and my mother have to keep the door open when we go in that room. For some reason we do not like it shut, it doesn't feel safe. But sometimes I do feel watched in the room and my animals refuse to go in there. It's just not a nice room, it's difficult to describe but it doesn't have a 'friendly' atmosphere.

I'm probably going to leave it here for now and see what you all think about it. I will respond and please forgive my formal writing when I reply, I'm afraid it's just how I type due to endless essays in college and I haven't quite got out of the habit.

Thanks for your time.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Softus, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Softus (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-02)
I haven't quite figured out how that works either Believer, I suppose you could just do a short summary as a story for the pictures to be put up
believer12 (11 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-02)
Hey Softus, I have some orb pics too coming near my dog and one very close to my father. They are very dense and don't look like a dust orb atall, and both of them are taken on different days and one during night and other at day.
I would would like to post them, but don't know how to do that without a story.
Softus (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-02)
Hey Spirit, that's an interesting take on it! Gives me some food for thought:)
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-01)
Softus,wow! I agree with notjustme. It seems there may be more than one spirit in the home. Often I've heard where there's a young spirit (child),there's usually another older spirit (adult). Usually protecting or guiding the younger one. Maybe the young spirit, is enjoying the home at times, and the older spirit knows exactly how to get rid of you, as to not get to close. Just my thoughts:) Thanks so much for sharing.
Softus (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-27)
Another thing I should probably add is that I took many pictures in my house with orbs in them. One particularly big on was a sort of figure coming out of my dog that was white and orb like, in the box bedroom. As soon as I get a smart phone, I'll put in the memory card and upload it on here. It's very interesting.
Softus (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-27)
Hey Valkricry. That's a really interesting and strange fact haha, I never knew that. With the box room, it doesn't make me claustrophobic, it's just unwelcoming. My ex boyfriend that used to live with us commented to me once (after he'd moved out) that the room had a weird feel to it whenever he went in, and he also felt watched sometimes. I always listen to him when he mentions stuff like that because he's not huge on the paranormal and I can rely on complete honesty. But your view could have a point:)

I really do like your view on the matter, I personally never thought it was malicious with the books, the main worry was, was if my mother's head was at a different angle, it could have killed her.

I've attempted research into it but sadly I've come up with nothing. The only hint is possible wargrounds before the estate was built, but I haven't been able to confirm it. I know other histories in Stockport due to my grandmother so I know certain places that I would expect to be haunted but with this house, I've not found much out.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-02-27)
Softus, your description of the 'box room' put me in mind of some of the tiny 'bedrooms' we have out here in the Victorian houses. They really are tiny! Just as you say barely large enough for a bed and a small dresser. Personally, they always make me feel just a bit claustrophobic, and I do not suffer from claustrophobia! Lol However, back in the time period that these houses were built, bedrooms were simply for sleeping and nothing else. Here's a historical note for you - it was frowned on to even read in bed! Anyway, the need to leave the door open and it being 'unsafe' could stem simply from the size of the room.
I do have a different take on the book episode with your Mom too. It's possible that the 'spirit' watching your Mom clean, decided to 'help' by unsticking those books, and then dropped them on her for being 'lazy'. It actually sounded like something my Grandmother (born in the mid 1800's) would have done if she'd caught my Mom doing any 'short cut' cleaning.
Hauntings are not limited to buildings, but can come from the land itself. Sure right now it's a Council Estate (low income housing for those of us scratching our heads over the term) but what about prior? At some point in time, someone's home could have stood there. Or even a boarding house. Some research might shed some light on it.
Softus (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-26)
Hey Tweed. I actually just thought whatever it was when it came to moving stuff around was just having a laugh. Up to points I was amused by it and felt nothing malicious. When I requested for it to stop, it usually did. But it is a possibility it's not liked by whoever it is.
I'm aware that apparently where I live used be wargrounds, but that is a maybe not a fact. I do wonder why there's children. My old neighbour has a great deal of trouble with her house next to me in regards to spirits, definitely worse than mine. I will have to speak to her and get permission to publish her story here too.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-26)
Softus, the feeling in your old 'box room' reminded me of the feeling in my old childhood room. A room I learned not to fear over time.
I agree with Notjustme that it sounds like more than one ghost. The child your mum saw could have been the girl who picked up your bear/cat costume.

I'm wondering if some ghost perhaps lived in your home at some point and didn't like your mum cleaning for some reason. They might have felt it was still their home and sabotaged any alterations they didn't like. (The hammer moving)

As for being on a council estate I don't believe this makes a house immune to ghost activity. All those haunted house stories conjuring images of opulent heritage. They're relevant of course. But really for lack of a better summing up; 'Meh'.
Ghosts go anywhere, simple as that.

Look forward to hearing more of your experiences!
Softus (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-26)
I absolutely loved that suit, I had it until I was about 10 haha! There was a point where I was convinced I was a Dalmatian and barked thinking I was saving dogs from Cruella DeVille. Safe to say I wasn't a normal child. I'm pretty much on the internet constantly so any replies I get will be responded to quickly.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-26)
Thanks for the quick reply. And bear suit? LOL love it! I always tell my husband I hope my future kids like that stuff because I will happily make them any animal they wish to be! Hehe
Softus (1 stories) (11 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-02-26)
Hey there. To answer your question, no my mother wasn't abusive, neither mental or physically. Just a negative person due to her being under a lot of stress. I don't really remember her not shouting over anything and everything until I was about 15 years of age, which is when she calmed down.
It's possible that it didn't like her. I do remember a time where she was putting up some netting on the Windows and the hammer kept disappearing to strange places. At one point where it was next to the kettle in the kitchen when it was on the windowsill upstairs a moment before. So you could possibly be correct:) thank you for your input, I do believe myself that there was more than one. My house considerably calmed down after I blessed it twice.
I am going to add a couple more stories of strange experiences that were one offs later on this week. Thanks!
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-02-26)
I have a feeling there's more than 1 spirit in your home. When you mentioned the bear suit being lifted, the first thing that popped in my head was a child spirit curious of it. I was going to suggest there was more than 1 spirit in the house besides the child due to the fact that you said it felt uninviting, but then that could also just be all the collected negative energy your family was building up and it opened up the doors for negative things.

I feel if there was indeed another spirit, it might have been an older one who didn't like your mother very much. This is a private question and please do not answer if you are uncomfortable with it, but was your mother abusive? Whether it be physical or mental... It seemed the spirit didn't like her smoking in the house very much. So maybe the other spirit wasn't necessarily mean but just had a problem with your mom?...anyways I look forward to your answers, and everything I've said was just my opinions and what I felt through reading your story. Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: