You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Mysterious Meow And The Shadow Cat

Real Ghost Stories

Mysterious Meow And The Shadow Cat

 

To lead into the first story I shall have to inform you all of some of my background. At the age of 8 I was made a 'Ward of the State' due to unpleasant home circumstances.

I spent a number of years bouncing from failed foster placement to failed foster placement. At almost 11 years old (I was there a month before my birthday) I found myself in Brattleboro Retreat. I was placed in their off campus child unit (thank god because the main campus is freaky... After all it started off as an insane asylum).

Bear with me now. This unit had a strict routine. At certain times of the day we had to wait quietly in our rooms for staff to prepare meals and tally the privilege point system for all 11 of us children.

Now to the story! Anyways I had been living at this place for nearly a year without any weird goings on. One day during one of the routine Quiet Times I was sitting and reading a book in my second floor bedroom. Suddenly, out of the blue, I heard a cat's meow. Just one quick 'meooow' nothing more. Like a cat had wandered into the room and asked for food or was saying 'hey'.

I went and looked out the window and saw nothing, just the yard. We weren't allowed pets on the unit so of course there were no actual cats running around inside. If it had been one of the other children making noise I am sure that it would have been muffled, as I said it sounded as if it was in the same room as me. Also if it was one of the other children I'm sure that the staff would have come up to tell them they were being too loud as there was a baby monitor upstairs. In fact, my bedroom at the time was one of the 2 upstairs that did not have a wall in common with any other bedroom! I remain stumped to this day.

Now to my second story. Back to the more recent past. My boyfriend and I have been seeing some weird shadow creature. It changes shape but most often appears as a feline figure. My boyfriend sees it more often and it appears to follow him. He has seen it at his previous girlfriends' houses, his grandma's old house, his parent's house, our old apartment, even our current one! I have only had 2 encounters with it.

Once, while I was living with him and his parents, we were fighting and I decided to pack and leave. I was sitting on the floor putting stuff into bags and swear to God I saw what appeared to be a motion blurred calico cat jump over my bags and disappear as quickly as it appeared. When I say calico cat I mean tortoiseshell calico, one with barely any orange and cream color but lots of black. His parents have never owned a cat. It was enough to startle the heck out of me as it was no corner of the eye thing.

The second time I encountered this thing we were living in our previous apartment. I was reading on the couch in the living room at the time. As I was reading I became aware of movement over the top of the book. It looked like a dark grey to black koala bear playing peekaboo over the rim of our laundry basket. I played 'now you see me, now you don't' with it for almost half an hour as it would vanish if I looked at it full on. Only when I was looking at my book could I see it in my peripheral vision.

In none of these cases was I scared. I felt nothing from the things and my own emotions merely ranged at startled. I don't know what it is about this shadow creature but from the way it seems to follow my boyfriend and appear at troublesome times I feel that it is someone close to him. I would wager its either his grandpa who died when he was young, or his birth mother who was murdered when he was one year old. What do you guys think?

Other hauntings by VermontVampyre

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Vermont

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, VermontVampyre, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-03)
VermontVampire,
Sorry about what you had to go through as a child, that must have been real hard on you. Glad you live in New England now, its such a beautiful place.
It's so weird How both of these experiences have to do with cats.
Well I have never heard of someone who passed away taking the form of an animal, but I Guess it could happen, why not? And yes, usually shadow creatures are always seen through peripheral vision and sometimes glimpses. And it's so weird how it changes shape, so I guess you could call it a shapeshifter. If you or your boyfriend see it again you should keep track of your encounters then post them, and maybe you and us readers can learn more about the cat.
VermontVampyre (2 stories) (64 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-02)
Tweed: I don't think it's attached to me as at age 11 I had had no pet cats and the only person close to me to die was my great grandma...

As to having traits of the cat... I guess I could seeing as how I love them... However I've always felt more Wolfish.

Femaelstrom: it would indeed be a miracle to have only positive placements in foster are which sadly was not my luck. It being an imp did cross my mind but for some reason I feel more as if it was connected to my boyfriend or me in life. Also I have thought of writing professionally:p however I get as far as the outline and then my mind goes blank. I have a notebook of fleshed out story ideas but I can't even get past the first paragraph writing them >.< Also how would one find a native shaman? Are they in the yellow pages?

RitaCMW: while I agree its attached to my boyfriend I do not think its an animal spirit. My boyfriend has only had fish, mice, hamsters, and a guinea pig his whole life. I don't think any of those would come back to check on him and if they did I don't honk they would choose a form of a cat or koala-like being.

I believe that once we cross over and become all spirit we can choose how those that are aware can perceive us. That is why I think that it is a human spirit checking up on my boyfriend... It just feels that way to me.
RitaCMW (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-02)
Hi Vermontvampyre, I feel this is related to a haunting or a spirit guide. Maybe it was the spirit of an animal somehow connected to your boyfriend who was checking you out for future suitability. I don't mean predicting the future, but I believe spirits are outside of time as we know it.
Femaelstrom (1 stories) (56 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-02)
I think, perhaps, it was some sort of impish creature. Because you say it's only around when there is turmoil, it could be the cause. That you don't feel fear or apprehension doesn't mean it's intentions are not negative. It could be just looking for an offbeat form of 'entertainment'.
I would suggest speaking with a Native Shaman to see their opinion.
Your childhood was stressful. I know as I, too, was raised in foster care for around 10 years of my childhood. I wasn't in a facility, but I was shuttled from one home to another, so there's a lot of trauma associated with that.
We attract negativity as a result. No one can experience that kind of turmoil with much positivity, unless, by some miracle, every home you're transferred to is amazingly POSITIVE. Not likely. But you express yourself well in written format. I admire that! Perhaps you might consider writing professionally.
Either way,
Blessings and Good Wishes,
Femaelstrom
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-02)
Hi Vermont, don't know about it being a relative. If it were happening to me I'd assume it was at least two different ghosts. Maybe I'm ignorant but shape shifting just wouldn't occur to me.
Can't imagine why someone would rearrange to koala bear-ish type form. Was there a significance to someone regarding this?
Seeing as you had experienced a cat meowing years before I would assume the cat, if it's the same one, was connected to you somehow. Or it's another cat. Or both cats were 'in the area' so to speak and you experienced their presence.
It's also possible your sensitive to animal spirits especially of cats. Perhaps you have strong cat traits within your own personality. That might sound nuts, but it might explain why your sensitive to them. Your boyfriend too.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: