You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Girl Who Caught Fire

Real Ghost Stories

The Girl Who Caught Fire

 

When I was twelve my parents got divorced and my mother and I moved to a three bedroom house that was for rent. The rent was "dirt cheap" and my mom just getting divorced, naturally jumped on it right away. The house was in the middle of a huge field we would see moose and deer all the time it's actually a nice quiet place to live I'm neighbors to the old house now!

My mom was gone a lot leaving me, now thirteen home alone. I loved exploring outside all the time there was a swing set, tree house and a huge oak tree and a large creek behind the house. I would spend most my time seeing how high I could climb the oak tree which was never really all that high so I would just sit in one of the lower bigger branches and draw or just think. As much as I loved the oak tree something about it made me sad. Looking back now it's kind of strange, under the tree there's a lot of small grey rocks as if someone had put them there?

Whether I was in my tree or somewhere else on the property I never felt alone, I always felt as if there was someone there and it sounds weird but it was a sad feeling. Like when you're with one of your friends or family and you know they're sad even though they never said anything... That's the best way I can describe it.

After a few weeks had gone by of being in that house that I had a horrible nightmare. It was playing out like a movie, I could see this girl about nine years old in a much older house then the one I was living in she had a once white dress on that was full of dirt she had long black hair that fell just below her elbows and she went to go ask this man sitting at a kitchen table something, I couldn't quite make out what she was saying but whatever it was he became really agitated with her and he grabbed her by the arm and dragged her threw a hallway and into a closet. At this point I was getting really scared I was only thirteen and couldn't understand what I was seeing. I went down to the closet after the man left and when I touched the door knob to try and let her out my perspective changed suddenly I was in the closet with her! And I couldn't see anything but I could hear the girl breathing really heavy and crying, I could hear her fumbling around in the dark I was trying to talk to her try to calm her down or just say I'm here with you but she couldn't hear me. Then suddenly she went still and I heard a fast swish and I seen the spark of a match then it went out. She tried again and this time the match lit. She was too close to the match and the match caught her hair, the second her hair started turning into fire my dream perspective switched again and I was on the outside of the door again. I heard her blood curdling screams and I could see the door shaking from her banging on it so hard to try and get out I was in full panic mode but I was frozen in place a part of me knew I had to do something but I could not move. I woke up startled and drenched in sweat

I didn't think much about my nightmare, just that it was one really bad dream. The feelings of a sad presence stayed but I wasn't really thinking ghost at that point just shrugged it off as my own sadness over my parents divorce. Until one morning it was my first day of school on a new bus route and my cat woke me up at 6 am crying to get out of my room so I let her out and looked at the clock and wasn't sure what time I was supposed to start getting ready for school so I went to go ask my mom what time the bus came, and when I opened my moms bedroom door the little girl from my nightmare was standing at the foot of my moms bed. She looked the exact same from my dream except she wasn\'t dirty any more and her hair looked as though it was slighty floating... I was petrified! I slammed my mothers door shut and ran back down the hall to the main living area/kitchen trying to catch my breath and slow my heart rate. Me slamming the door woke my mother and she started calling my name in panic. I went down to her room again and when I opened the door this time she was gone. I told my mom I just wanted to ask when I should start getting ready and she didn't pry about my odd behavior I think she was too afraid of what I was going to say...

After that the little girl made herself known she would turn my stereo off or on, switch songs or repeat some songs over and over. We would come home and my stuffed animals would be scattered through out the house and my moms bedroom door was always slamming shut. I finally came clean to my mom and told her what I had seen at the foot of her bed and she told me that it wasn't the first time a spirit has tried to reach out to her while she was sleeping.

After my parents split up my mom started getting more in touch with her spiritual side again, and she went to go get her cards read from a friend of the families, this was my moms first time meeting the lady and she wasn't sure if she really "had it" or not. The woman was telling her things that were true but things she thought someone could guess at knowing she was getting divorced and had two kids, I wish I could elaborate but she wouldn't tell me what they were at the time and no doubt she's forgotten now... But then on the second cut the woman told her "I don't want to frighten you but there's a small child that's past on living in your house that died from some source of heat."

My mom swears she never told anyone about my dream or what I'd seen. Although even without the card reading I know what I seen for myself. This was my first ghost encounter and as I mentioned earlier I'm neighbors with that house now and I'm good friends with the residents living there now, I told her about my ghostly experience there and she said nothing has ever happened and she's never felt anything, whereas she's usually fairly intuitive. Why would that be? Do you think the little girl moved on? I find that unlikely but why wouldn't she make herself known to my friend/neighbor? And also what is up with the tree and the rocks? Even just looking at that tree it still makes me sad and under the tree as I mentioned before are all these grey rocks that don't really belong, everywhere else its all grass and field except for the tree.

Other hauntings by melodie31293

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, melodie31293, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

melodie31293 (3 stories) (5 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-17)
I wish I had pictures to share with you all! Of the tree and the rocks underneath and thank you all so much for your interest and comments, this experience was really an eye opener for me with the paranormal. As I've gotten older and reached out to my mom's side of the family I've found that experiences like this are quite common in my family I'll work on sharing more of my stories and perhaps some of theirs
Hannah_Claire_Lector (2 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-12)
Usually, to my knowledge, a pile of stones were used to mark graves a long time ago. Have you ever thought about the possibility of someone having committed suicide there, maybe even because the little girl died? I was just thinking.
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-11)
[mod] (s) - I'm not sure if it's just the device I'm using or what, but what is supposed to be the sad emoticon on my comment is appearing to me as a play sign (sideways triangle) and couple of them to the left of the box you write comments are replace by other things. That's not the only problem, some of the YSG ads appear where I pretty sure there not supposed to.
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-11)
Melodie31293, sounds like a Beutifle place to live. You did great describing that feeling, I would have never thought to describe it like that.
And you know, I'm really not sure, I wonder if ghosts/ spirits can give you dreams, or if their energy or left over energy can create dreams or maybe affect them. I've thought about it and I'm not sure what to think.
I'm sure you've figured this out, but in case you haven't; I think that dream kind of foreshadowed that the house had burn't down and that the house you lived in was built in its place. I'm probably stating the obvious but that's what I think anyway.
After reading this story, I have come to the conclusion that the tree and the rocks are her gravestone.
I hope that she has moved on, from the way you told your dream I get this feeling that she was abused and had not live a good life (which really saddens me 😢), I hope she moved on to a better place.
melodie31293 (3 stories) (5 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-07)
Thanks for the comments guys! After I posted this story I asked around with some of the locals trying to figure out the history of the property and as it turns out that a farm house burnt down on that property. My neighbor said that she found pieces of the foundation that is still there, I'd love to take pictures of it as well as the tree but it's Canada and there's still a lot of snow here! Maybe when it melts I can add them to this story.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-03-06)
melodie, it's possible that once upon a time, someone tried landscaping and placed those rocks beneath the tree. I guess it would depend on how they were laid out, as to what significance, if any. They had.
As Tweed pointed out, many believe that trees have their own consciousness. Personally, I see no reason why a tree could not 'record' any strong emotion it was exposed to, for any real length of time. So maybe, this girl found solace in that tree. Whispered her secrets and sorrows to it. As Tweed say, perhaps the tree was a silent witness.
You might try doing a little research on if another house had once stood on that land. If you can remember her dress style, it may give you a time frame to search.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-06)
Hi Melodie,

I love this story. Why ghosts choose to communicate with some and not others is a question only they can answer.
But in your case I think it may be more clear than you realise.

That tree. My opinion is that it's a witness. But a witness to what? The girl's demise, could be something else related to the girl or the man.
My guess is the tree knows something. Maybe the girl used to play there often, not necessarily live there. She saw you enjoying the same spot and felt a connection to you because of it.

You could 'get your hippy on' and try to meditate, direct some questions the tree's way, see if you get a reply.
Any reply could come in any fashion, a dream, a 'sign', an audible voice. Could be anything.

I don't make a habit of recommending people 'talk to trees' but in your case because you bonded with it this may be a good way in.
Also a tree is more likely to be unbiased.

Some might argue that the girl is now living in the tree or has become the tree's spirit.
Well, I don't much agree with that train of thought.
I believe trees have a conscious and are an entity unto their own. As all living things are.
What's unique about plants and trees is that they live in a different time frame to what we experience (they develop at a different rate to other living creatures). They're also on a similar wavelength as a lot of spirit entities. They are nature after all.

As it's an oak tree this might explain the rocks underneath. I read a book about Wicca once and in just about every chapter an oak tree would be mentioned. I don't know relevance to rocks in Wicca but perhaps a white witch has left those things under the oak as part of a spell. Which is more likely to do with that Witch's life and less likely connected to the girl. Don't worry about Wicca and Witches they're harmless.
You could research Wicca spells involving oaks and rocks and see what comes up out of curiosity. But it's probably unrelated to your ghost encounter, like I said.

Also, this is non-paranormal, trees and plants have a face. That is they are facing a direction. You can tell which side is front by looking at it from all angles. Ask yourself if you were about to sketch the tree, which side is its most aesthetically pleasing? This will be the front 'face' side. Another way to tell is if its trunk is twisted, the direction the twist ends in is the face.

This is paranormal, and my own opinion. With a face in mind I wonder which way the oak is facing and if it's connected to a direction which is significant to the girl.
Not that the oak 'saw' something because it was facing that way, but maybe it has a more in depth perspective about it than any other direction.
You sitting in and around the oak picked up on something it knew. Or maybe it wanted you to know. Now you live right by it again and those messages are coming back.

I also wonder if the girl was trying to give your mum a dream when you walked in on her!
I used to have a girl playing around with my stereo, turned out she just wanted to hear some songs. Was there a pattern to what was playing when she mucked around with your music? Or maybe she was trying to communicate something about the dream to you through the music, a particular sad song perhaps?
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-06)
Great story and incredibly sad. Sounds like you could be an empath, so you can pick up energies of places, items, and such. I have come to a belief that when a spirit decides to move on, they can. It is their own emotions that keep them earth bound. Maybe you have already helped her in a way you didn't think of. And even if they choose to be at peace, they can still be around but they no longer need to be seen or acknowledged. Maybe one day if you get a chance to be near the property, you could send her a simple prayer, just something simple like "I know what happened to you, but everything is ok now. Please go on to where you will happy, and move on to the next chapter". Get comfortable and feel it with your prayer.
Thanks for sharing! Take care.
Moraskev (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-06)
Hi melodie3129, that is quite an experience.
I think the girl was abused and neglected somehow and is trying to reach out to someone. From my opinion, sometimes the ones that died want someone to feel their pain and reach out to someone so they don't feel alone or that they feel "complete" now that she has reached out to you.

Maybe the reason she is letting herself be known to you is because you had to deal with divorce and so you might be the person to sympathize with. It's just what I think.

I think you are fortunate to have your mother to share the experience with and also that she too has experienced it which is nice I guess.

- Kevin
Femaelstrom (1 stories) (56 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-06)
Perhaps the rocks were a part of a pet cemetery. You know how we are... Especially kids. It could be as small as a goldfish, and we would accord our beloved pets the same regard as we do humans.

(Personally, I think that's only fair. They give us REAL love, unlike humans, whose love seems occasionally faltering.)
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-06)
hi, melodie31293... Quite an interesting story... I can't comment what it was but it is really creepy. Try to find out history of house may be this could help you. Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: