You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Little Man In Front Yard

Real Ghost Stories

Little Man In Front Yard

 

My story took place on a summer day at around 2 pm when I was nine years old. I was in the front yard with two of my siblings. The front yard was huge. I was sitting alone playing with my Barbies underneath a tree and on the far right were some tree logs. My siblings were playing kickball on the other side of the yard.

My mother called us in to see if we wanted to eat so she could know how much food to make. I wasn't hungry so I yelled to my mother (from outside) that I didn't want to eat. So I decided to stay outside and continue to play.

Ten to fifteen minutes later something caught my attention from the corner of my eye. As I look to my right, there was a small man who was about 3 feet in height (right next to me). From what I can remember this "thing" looked old, maybe around 50-60 years old. He had on pants (the material look like tights), white shirt and a vintage small hat. The colors of the clothing were brown, tan, white and some other dark tones. He had a five o'clock shadow and was solid in frame. As we made eye contact for a few seconds, he smirked and darted off quickly (ran) and faded into the logs.

I wasn't scared of him, more like I was surprised. I stood up and looked around to see if there was anyone else in the yard. Or if my brothers were playing a trick on me. But no, there wasn't anyone in the yard besides me. I went back into the house and waited for my siblings to finish eating so we all can go outside together. I never saw this "thing" again.

I never told my family about this because they wouldn't believe it. I'm wondering what was it? Can you please give me advice to what it could be.

Thank you for reading my story.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, vintageglam, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

The_Morrighan (2 stories) (44 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2020-10-30)
I must admit that as I read this wonderful narrative I found the Fae (fairy folk) coming to mind. Unlike the Cottingley Fairies or Tinkerbell the Fae aren't always tiny and can show themselves in many guises. Like humans they can be benign or malignant but it sounds as though your experience was positive. It's often worthwhile to leave out small offerings for them particularly on festivals such as Hallowe'en (Samhain).

Blessed be.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-03-10)
Hi vintageglam, even though BJJ suggested gnome or others as "nature spirit", I would like to think only about mundane things rather than paranormal. Because as sushantkar said, there was nothing paranormal about the incident you described in your narrative. So, I think it is just a dwarf man you saw on that day. Unless you have made any investigation, asked your neighbours or your parents or mom about it and they also saw such a person at odd times and with some paranormal reasoning. Nothing to offend you. Just my opinion.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
The_Shadow_Broker (6 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-09)
The little man you described sounds like a gnome to my knowledge they don't hurt people they are as was stated below an earth spirit.

Shadow Broker out.
selkay (6 stories) (40 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-07)
Yup, I agree with biblio that it might be nature spirit. In Malaysia we call them orang bunian loosely translate as hidden people. Some will describe them looking like leprechaun and some will say they look like elves. I'm not as lucky as those people, have no luck spotting them.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-03-07)
Hi, Vintageglam.

I must begin by complimenting your great screen name; it evokes stunning outfits from the late Victorian 'gilded age', the 'Gatsby' look of the twenties, and lace over satin or silk...

While my first impressions echo those of the reliable BJJ, I went to "Brownies" of British lore and Leprechauns of Irish tradition. Many cultures the world over have such creatures in their fables; they are seldom malicious, occasionally mischievous, and seem to be small nature spirits or guardians. Those who have reported meeting them, much in the manner you did, usually claim to have felt more curiosity or surprise than fear; additionally, they claim that the gnome/sprite/brownie/leprechaun is often as surprised as the human.

If it was a one-time encounter, you should cherish it as a wonderful moment in which you were briefly open to a very different view of our world. Those who experience multiple sightings (especially of the same entity) sometimes leave small gifts of friendship to assure the spirit that they have no harmful intentions; these gifts should probably not be food, though, as that invites stray/feral cats, foxes, raccoons, skunks, squirrels...

This was a beautifully-constructed narrative, and -as you can probably tell from the amount of reading I've done on the subject- I'm wistfully jealous that you had such a positive, peaceful encounter.

Best,
-Biblio.
salonisolo (4 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-03-07)
well I think you must have told to your mother or anyone whom you feel suitable because it may be a ghost or what so ever, she will guide you best and you never know you may come to know some new thing!
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-07)
Oddly, the description reminds me of a gnome. I'm not saying it was, just that that's what the description reminds me of. Whatever it was, it doesn't sound like anything malevolent as it made no attempt to harm you.
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-03-07)
Hello vintageglam! Whether it was a paranormal incident or not can't say anything as the ingredient are not sufficient.
May be someone was pranking. 😕

Regards

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: