You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Girl At The Top Of The Stairs

Real Ghost Stories

Girl At The Top Of The Stairs

 

I live in Florida now, but at the time of this story I lived in a small farmhouse in a small town called Farmington in Illinois. This was my first experience with ANYTHING ghostly, and didn't believe in things like that... Until this.

One night in early December of 1995, my husband and I had been upstairs tucking my 2 year old in her bed (it was a very cold snowy night). Earlier in the day we had gone shopping and I had bought her a pink sparkly ball (the size of a basketball). While tucking her in, I had the thought that I needed to put the ball in the downstairs toy box because she was bad about getting up at night a playing with her toys. So I did just that. My husband and I watched a little TV and went to bed.

Somewhere around 3:15 am I woke up and had to use the bathroom. Now, that was very unlike me to awake in the night like that. Our bedroom was downstairs right at the base of the stairs leading up to my daughter's room, and the bathroom was right next to my bedroom, also at the base of the stairs. I went in and sat down without turning on the light or shutting the door.

Now the bathroom is facing the stairs head on (keep that in mind). So I am sitting there and just before I stand up I hear "Mommy!" I instantly look up and there, at the top of the stairs, is a girl. She looked to be about 10 or so. The best way I can describe the way she looked is that it was like looking at an old film. She was dressed with a dress and a white apron, her hair was in 2 braids that hung over her shoulders. Before I could even process what I was seeing, she said, "Catch!" and tossed something down the stairs at me. I immediately turned on the light just as it rolled and hit my foot. It was the pink ball I had put in the toy box before bed.

I walked very calmly back to bed thinking I had dreamed it. I didn't even look to see if she was still there. The next morning I got up and again went to the bathroom... And there was the pink sparkly ball still on the bathroom floor... I knew then I had NOT dreamed it. It was very real.

From that night on (even though I have moved to Florida) I STILL have experiences. Not with the same girl, but many many experiences. I never saw or heard anything like that again in that house. The experiences I have had since that night reach far beyond the slight eeriness of this story.

Other hauntings by KimmieWebb

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, KimmieWebb, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Classicvintagechic (12 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-24)
I admire your courage! While reading all seven stories, it felt like my experiences was nothing compared to yours. I couldn't and will never imagine myself in that situation because I wouldn't know what to do. I am a fan of horror and paranormal movies/stories, the irony is, after hearing, reading or watching these stories/movies I'm easily caught off guard and will never set foot out of my area unless my fiancee comes with me (to go to the bathroom or what have you).

I especially like the beautiful red-head girl, it was just phenomenal. 😉
KimmieWebb (8 stories) (32 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-13)
So happy you all have enjoyed the story. I have many more to tell so stay tuned~ 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-12)
KimmieWebb - I think I understand why you weren't frightened, or freaked out, when you saw the little girl. I saw one so clear she could have been real and, like you, I was in the bathroom when I saw her LOL

Thanks for sharing this with us 😊
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-12)
Kimmie- I really enjoyed this story as well as your other. Looking forward to more.

Welcome to YGS, and kind of creepy of those observers.
KimmieWebb (8 stories) (32 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-11)
Nothing eles happened to ME in the house... However my husband (at the time) shortly after, began to desperately want to move. He wasn't one to talk about things much. I did tell him of course about the experience and he laughed it off.
I tried to do some research on the house. The town of Farmington was very tiny and everybody knew everybody. I very cautiously asked questions to neighbors but no one had anything strange to say at all. The only thing that was eerie was that the day we moved in, a small group of people (I considered them as being nosey) gathered out front and never said anything to us, just observed.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-11)
"I am infamous for having weird dreams," boy did that strike a cord with me. My daughter often refers to my 'crazy dreams,' and not in the bad way. So I totally get what you are saying. I often wonder how many events are mistaken for dreams and vice-versa. But, here you have proof that you were not dreaming - at least not completely. I can't help but wonder if that girl was looking to play and since you weren't any fun, she went else where? Did anything else happen in that house?
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-11)
I get it Kimmie I totally do! Did anything else happen at the house or was that the only incident?
KimmieWebb (8 stories) (32 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-11)
I am infamous for having weird dreams and I thought for sure I was dreaming. Even after I had gotten back into bed. I remember being so sleepy I couldn't hold my eyes open. I honestly thought it was a dream until the next morning. I was so young then also. If it happened today... I would have handled it much different.
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-11)
I am with Agnet on this one. I would have at least gone to check on the kid. But I can see why you shrugged it off. I get scared [not saying you were scared] and tend to want to just go back to sleep.
Agnet201195 (1 stories) (26 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-11)
Whoa! So horrifying! But you backed off like that? You never tried to find out what happened in that farmhouse or whether it was really haunted?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: