You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Friendly Francis, My Other Roommate

Real Ghost Stories

Friendly Francis, My Other Roommate

 

We have something living with us, although if you asked me a few months ago I would have denied it. While I've always enjoyed a good ghost story, I was never much of a believer and if you're looking for a scary story, mine isn't one.

It started out small, things would be moved out of place and such. I live with my father and we joked that he was just going senile or sleep walking. Things got weirder though.

Lights left on would be turned off, closet doors normally closed would be found open. Never anything that couldn't be explained by something simple, someone forgetting, one the pets accidentally moving something, a draft even. The house is only a few years old and we are both logical people and tried not to think of it.

I remember once waking up and calling my boyfriend at the time. After the call I set my phone down on my bed and proceeded to get dressed. When I returned from the closet, the phone wasn't there. Thinking it had ended up under a sheet I tore apart my bed, nowhere to be found. I had my father call but it was off despite being on merely minutes ago. I tore apart my room, knowing it had to be in there and I had just used it. I searched for an hour but couldn't find it. Finally frustrated and hungry, I resolved to go cook myself some breakfast and carry on my search after my stomach stopped growling. Despite not entering the kitchen yet that day, I walked down to find my phone sitting on the stove. We chalked to just forgetfulness.

But it continued. Things would be lost and returned regularly, missing keys and remotes would end up on the kitchen counter. It became sort of a joke, that we had a spirit helping us find our lost belongings but we didn't honestly believe it.

The spirit didn't get a name until I came home one afternoon to find an outfit neatly folded and set out on my bed. I had an interview that morning, maybe I had left it out, but I didn't remember trying that one on. I called my father, confused and upset. Why had he gone into my closet? He said he hadn't. We both laughed it off, blaming my anxiety that morning and the "spirit". The nickname Francis was born. Gender diplomatic, as it had a fashion sense and we didn't want to offend.

Little things would happen, nothing bad or completely terrifying, just enough to make you question your own sanity. I'd fall asleep on the couch with the windows open, to awake to find them shut except one. It had cooled off by then and assumed it been my father making sure I didn't catch a draft. When I asked him later why he closed them but left one open, he looked confused and refused credit. That one happened often, if we retired for the evening we'd check the locks, assuming that the other had locked it before us when in reality they hadn't. We laughed it off too, Francis was looking out for us.

Without undeniable proof though, I didn't believe. Until the day the lock moved under my hand. I had gone out with a friend, she drove and I left my keys at home thinking I didn't need them. We are one of those families that uses the inner garage door mostly, the garage has a keypad and the door inside is always unlocked. I returned home, opened the garage inviting my friend in. When I got to the door it was locked. I tried the knob a few more times to no avail, it turned just slightly. I was pissed. My father's car was gone and he knew I wasn't home, he had to see my keys when he left, why would he lock me out? I called him as my friend tried the knob herself, spitting venom over the the phone for locking me out, he was quiet until he said it, "I didn't lock the door". While that was common phrase I heard from his lips, this was different... The joke was shattered, this time it wasn't a kind action or something simple, I had been locked out of my home.

I dropped the phone and jiggled the knob furiously, frustrated as tears welled in my eyes. I sighed, let my forehead bang against door and released the doorknob, giving up. I turned to my friend to apologize, for what I don't know, the fact that she couldn't come in or maybe the fact that she had to see me so upset and with my back to the door there was a small knock. I jumped, turned around to hear a faint *click*. I put my hand on the doorknob and sure enough, it turned completely. While the handle lock was now free, the deadbolt still remained latched.

The friend freaked, she had tested the doorknob herself and it was locked... She pulled out her phone to call 911, assuming someone was inside. I stopped her. I knew no one was. I could no longer deny its existence. She looked pale as I told her it was okay, and I hushed her questions. I turned back to the door, knocked lightly and asked as nicely as I could, "Will you PLEASE let me in, Francis?" I'm not sure how long I stood there with my hand on the doorknob and tears running down my cheeks, but sure enough the sound the deadbolt moving cut threw the silence. It wasn't smooth, it struggled, then silence. I gently turned the knob and opened the door, my friend screamed expecting someone to be standing there, she screamed louder when she realized there was no-one.

I like to think "Francis" made a simple mistake that day and didn't mean to lock me out. It hasn't happened since, although the little stuff still occurs. Tonight it was the windows again, the weather was beautiful and I had them open this afternoon, now that is dark and cool again they are closed, I'm the only one home and I didn't close them.

I had a few people suggest that I should cleanse the house or make an effort to communicate with whatever Francis is. I don't see the point, I'm well aware this isn't my line of expertise and don't think it's something I want to play with, nor do I feel a need to make it feel unwelcome as it has never made me feel so.

Nothing has happened that honestly doesn't seem rather well intentioned besides that fateful day when I was locked out. Sometimes I wonder if it happened so I would believe, if Francis was tired of being a joke. We don't laugh about it anymore. When someone finds their lost keys on the counter, we just say, "Thank you, Francis".

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kentucky

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Shelbs, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

SquishySwart (2 stories) (3 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-27)
Hi Shelbs, I love your story and reminds me quite a bit of my own story! We also named our spirit although he/she is a lot more mischievous than yours. And he technically named himself by carving a name into a screw driver that only appears when you need it most and can't find your own.
Classicvintagechic (12 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-24)
Francis is such a thoughtful "entity". I guess the reason he locked the door is too make sure intruders won't barge in that easily. He's looking out for you and your father, maybe a brother-like figure? Anyway, it was a great story and I wish all entities are like Francis.:)
HellenaLightfoot (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-23)
Thoroughly enjoyable story! You're a compelling author; very relatable and a homey sort of writing.

I love that your story is composed of so many small events. Tiny moments that all add up to one big conclusion. Francis seems like a pretty great roomie and I think you're pretty lucky to have them around. Nothing like someone who makes sure your doors are locked, closes windows when it's cold, and picks out a good outfit. I hope you're good experiences keep on coming!
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-23)
Well if Francis is good and not being in the way of things, I don't see the point in cleansing either. I wouldn't want to make Francis mad by trying to get rid of him/her if I was there.
Phow often do you see signs of Francis during the day?
Is there any specific room she stays in the most, like does she usually reside in one room?
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-22)
Shelbs, I agree with what everyone has already said here and I think you have a great attitude. Francis sounds lovely. 😊
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-21)
I'm a firm believer in the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." This situation with Francis ain't broke. Francis doesn't seem to have harmful intent, and if he or she wants to communicate, well, ghosts always figure out a way without being badgered into communication by the living. I think you and your father are handling this in the best way possible.
These type of stories are always my favorite. Experiences like this just go to show that ghosts are people too. 😊
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-20)
Shelbs- What a great story! I'm in complete agreement with notjustme. One can co-exist with a spirit. Respect from all that are involved is important. Sometimes though rules need to be set for the spirit. We have a button pusher presently that thought it would be alright to push the smoke alarm testing button. Once I figured out it was him/her, I told them that was not allowed and explained why. It hasn't touched it since.

Really enjoyed this share. Will be looking for more.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-03-19)
I really enjoyed this story. I agree with you with the unnecessary cleansing. As long as you all get along, and Francis isn't doing any harm. I wonder if you place magnetic letters on your fridge if she/he would give you their real name. Would e kind of cool in my opinion. Thanks for sharing
djfxw (4 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-19)
Do you know any history on the house? "Francis" seems to be a good soul or a "parental" type figure.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-03-19)
Shelbs - what an incredibly sweet story 😊 Francis is my kind of roommate, literally. I also believe that Francis didn't mean to upset you by locking the door. Maybe it was a protective sort of move 😕

Anyway, I really enjoyed this. Thank you for sharing Francis with us and I look forward to more.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: