You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Dark Apparitions and Electrical Devices Acting Up

Real Ghost Stories

Dark Apparitions and Electrical Devices Acting Up

 

I'm writing about these experiences because I hope someone can tell me whether it is an actual haunting, or possibly, if there are rational explanations for what has been happening. My sister Janeen, brother-in-law Ray, boyfriend Richard, and I all share a house and have lived there for several years. It was built in 1979 so it doesn't have much of a history, and we haven't experienced anything weird until the last few weeks.

None of us are really the superstitious type, but a few things that have happened recently are difficult for me to explain away. The only thing that has changed among us is that I've recently quit taking Celexa, which is an anti-depressant that has unusual withdrawal symptoms. I feel "power surges" throughout my brain and body continually, and at first I thought maybe the electrical storm going on in my brain could have caused some of the weirdness going on here. Now I'm not so sure.

The first ghost-type incident happened a couple of weeks ago. Richard, Ray, and I were all in the back of the house. Ray had just finished vacuuming and he and Richard were talking to each other from across the hallway. Rich and I both saw Ray walk down the hallway toward the living room, and our dog Bella was right by his side. A few seconds after he left, the vacuum turned itself on! Janeen was not in the house at the time. Ray went back into the room and turned it off, we all forgot about it and went about our business.

Three night later, however, Rich and I woke up to our dog bristling her back hair and growling. We looked out the window and couldn't see anything, so Rich petted her until she calmed down and we both fell back asleep. It was around 3 in the morning, so I was kind of annoyed by being woken up in the first place. A half hour or so later I was woken up again, and our Nintendo Wii was turned on. The blue disc light was pulsating slowly and that must have been what had awakened me. We hadn't used the Wii in at least a couple of weeks, and the remotes were on a shelf well out of reach of the dog. They are also kept to the side of the TV unit so it would be difficult for the remotes to turn the Wii on. I turned it off and laid back down but did not fall asleep. A few minutes later I could see the blue light pulsing through my eyelids! I turned it off again and watched it for several minutes before I passed out, it didn't turn itself on again (at least while I was still awake).

I guess I saved the creepiest for last. Ray is the only one who has experienced these, but I haven't known him to lie or make up stories. He and my sister are in the master bedroom and their bathroom is directly in front of their bed. On the night that the Wii kept turning itself on, he was walking from his bed to the bathroom, using the light on his Sonicare to guide him there. About halfway to the bathroom a dark form stepped in between the Sonicare and him, completely blacking the light out for a second or two. He kept walking, not really thinking anything of it, and noted when he returned to bed that the light was fully visible and remained solid. It wasn't until I mentioned the Wii that he remembered the dark form in his room. They also keep their door shut so the dog could not have been in the room that night, especially since she was busy in our room waking us up.

Then, two nights ago, the dark form visited him again. What makes it really creepy to me is that everyone in the house was accounted for at the time it happened. He periodically gets up at night and will sleep on the sofa in the living room. That night Rich and I had stayed up late and were talking in our room. We heard Ray come out of the room and were wondering who it was. Then we heard clanks in the kitchen and heard the microwave door shut, so I said "It must be Ray" and we continued talking. We were up for quite a while after that and neither of us got up.

The next evening as we all returned home, Ray was talking about being up late the night before, and I told him we'd heard him get up. He said, "I must have been loud, I saw you come out and check on me..." I had no idea what he was talking about and told him I didn't check on him, and he proceeded to tell us that when he turned off the light and laid down, he saw someone about my size come from the hallway, stop and look at him, then go back down the hallway! I'm pretty positive Rich and I were still awake by the time he had laid down, so I really don't think I was sleepwalking. Also, my sister Janeen has cerebral palsy and her hips make a loud snapping noise as she walks- it would be impossible for her to be walking and not make the noise.

I try to think rationally about things like this, but I'm starting to get scared that we have a poltergeist or something malicious in the house. Hopefully this is the last incident we'll have. But if anyone could confirm or deny that this is a haunting I would really appreciate it!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, annek3, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

adamsneve (1 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-07)
I can understand your concern. As I am typing I am having the same problem. I have had the TV go on and off, my brand new stove acts up constantly, my washer etc... Also my reg. Phone was unplugged from the jack when I got my cell and I had the sevice turned off in Feb this is March and the other day my son and a friend of mine were in the kitchen and it started to ring. We have enlisted the help of a physic and will also have a priest bless this house if that does not work we are moving. Good luck and I feel for you. I feel my life is up side down now.
Good Luck
Ria
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2007-12-31)
Hi Annek3.
Your entity sounds harmless enough, but I know while living in the situation, it does not "feel" harmless, it feels creepy.
Since you wrote this two months ago, your situation may have changed, and all of your experiences may already be over, but I thought I would add my two cents, if you do not mind.
First, I do not think your Meds, or rather the withdrawals from this medication, have anything to do with what you are seeing and hearing. Simply because your sisters husband as well as your boyfriend have witnessed these things too. It is not a hallucination. Just wondering, while I am at it, does your sister NOT see or hear anything?
Second, it does not sound like a poltergeist to me. Those pesky little (or not too little) guys are more active and much more loud than the sound of a vacuum starting up. So, I would take the thought out of your head that this is all somehow caused by you and/or the meds. It just happened to start up at around the same time that you discontinued use of the Celexa. Not connected.
I do not feel like you have anything to worry about. I think the entities (if there are indeed more than one, I have no idea.) just want to make sure that you or anyone in the house can see or sense them. Now that they know that you can, they may get a bit more active, but you can tell them to stop.
I would try the lavender like Shane said, if it is within your belief system the crosses and Bible like KimSouthO said, and re-read what Abby said. All have excellent ideas for you. If the lavender does not seem to work, in the articles section of this site is a smudging ceremony spelled out very clearly, I would try that.
Thank you and Good Luck!
Excaliburhope (2 stories) (8 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-22)
I have lived in 3 haunted houses, so I hope you take my advice to heart. Spirits take time to manifest to people in houses. This is because it need to take the energy out of the occupants of the house in order to gain strength. As time passes, more phenomenon takes place. It is best to have your house blessed before the events become more pronounced or it may be too late. The reason I say this is because the spirit in your house may be benign for now, but even malicious or demonic entities begin this way before ther are able to gather the energy needed to do things that can scare or hurt the occupants of a house. By the time it gets to this level it is too late to remedy the situation. Get a priest to bless you house now and I think you will be fine, however, this is no guarentee, you may have already passed the tipping point.
Abby (710 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-22)
Dear annek3,

Please consider all the advice given to you prior to my present comment and try each one until you find a remedy or answer to your satisfaction. You may wish to read all advice, comments, articles and other stories on this site and sister site for help. Use your access to the net, public library, public records, local paranormal groups or societies as resources to do research on your present problem. Finding out the history of the home and/or land may also help shed light on the cause of a possible reason for the haunting. You may wish to have your electricals checked.

Frankly, if it was me, I would tell the earth bound ghost or passing by spirit to knock it off. If you are afraid you may wish to choose a protective ritual which you feel comfortable with to help protect you and lessen your fears. Otherwise call in someone known to help in such paranormal matters to help release and/or return this uninvited guest to the other side where they belong.

I also would like to recommend that people not sleep in bedrooms with a lot of plugged in electricals or choose to have none within one's sleeping space.

This uninvited guest just wants attention that is why it does these electrical things. As I said, I would acknowledge it, tell them knock it off and get them to move on.

Try any and all things until you can find resolve. Please let us know what you have tried and what finally works. Your feedback is welcome.--Abby
jailarson (2 stories) (21 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-19)
Sounds like a relatively benign spirit that just wants acknowledgment. If you want it to leave, just ask it to. Currently, it has lost its way. Do as Shane says, and if that doesn't work, consult with paranormal investigators.
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-19)
Hi Annek3, Wandering if what you are calling haunting was happening while you were on Celexa? Ok, land itself can be haunted too. I know a gal who was living in a trailor and everything was fine. Her family moved along with the trailor. And the trailor became haunted with what ever was presiding over the land. Also, Rich is so nice for treating the dog with care, petting etc. Good Luck!
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-19)
It possible you may be expereincing some paranormal activity with all of the encounters you describe.

ATry placing a cros in each of the rooms, especially the bed rooms. Place a Bible near your bed and say some prayers. If you want it to leave, tell it that it is not welcome in your home in the name of God and Christ.

Thank you for sharing your story with us.
God bless!
Rosemary (35 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-19)
Do you know who lived in the house before you?
Do you know how they died?
Or it could be a deceased relative visiting you and they are trying to get your attention and their little improptu appearances as in fleeting glances and noices on the electric equipment and hearing the microwave and other knows in the kitchen could be just the Spirit trying to get your attention.
One of you might sit down with a writing pad and time and date the correspondence and write telling a spirit you know they are there and appearing and ask them if they are trying to give you a message for yourselves or for someone else you might be associated with in your circle of friends.
After that it could be they will appear again and thoughts will pop into your head to give you an answer, and or they could appear to you in a dream message once they get your attention and you are open to receiving their message.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-19)
Only one person or in this case three can confirm or deny that what you are experiencing is a haunting or not. That would be you and your boyfriend and brother-in-law. "If" this is a haunting, it doesn't sound like you have much to worry about since this spirit isn't harming anyone. They are just playing little pranks on you. Try burning some lavender incense through out the home, especially before going to sleep and see if this helps remedy the situation. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: