You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Nights Of A Devil

Real Ghost Stories

The Nights Of A Devil

 

Looking back to the time of my first son's birth (March 05, 1992) about twenty-three years back reminds of a different place in my life. I was married then and I had just accepted a part-time position with the First Baptist Church in Cleves, OH, as the associate pastor and minister of youth. PJ was the shortened name for our firstborn (Paul, Jr.)

The house was owned by the church, but we quickly turned that parsonage into our home. Upstairs was an attic turned into a nice living space: two bedrooms positioned at each end of the upstairs connected by a hallway with a bath in between. I turned one of the upstairs bedrooms into my study room and it was directly above our bedroom on the main floor (that is the base floor). Across the hall from our bedroom was the baby's room which had the normal fixings like a changing table, bed and rocking chair. PJ was probably a few months old at the most (that is at the time of the events described in this letter) so he was being fed at night and was many months away from walking on his own.

Before I share the events of those nights back in 1992, I question possible connections of earlier events experienced as a younger man to what happened in Cleves. I cannot say for certain that there are definite connections because I am not certain why or what happened during those frightening occurrences as a young person.

Well, let's go back to the 1980s time period when I was in high school and awakened one summer night. I realize that many (and that includes me) would ask how do you know that it was not a dream? To the skeptic I would answer, "I know what I saw, and it was real." Standing and at the bottom of my bed was a shadow figure which I could not see detail but an outline of what appeared to be an outline of a human shape. The silhouette of a man in the form of a dark figure was watching me. I was terrified and pushed myself up so that I was sitting up looking at this image. It leaned forward and just a few feet distance separated us. I could feel an evil, frightening chill in my body and I somehow surmised that this was a demon. It leaned back upright and began to walk or better said, pace at the bottom of my bed while looking at me. Perhaps just a whisper, but I said, "In the name of the Lord Jesus I rebuke you." Whatever it was, it responded and into the darkness the shadowy figure disappeared.

Years passed and when I was near nineteen within the same house (that is my parents' house), I was startled as before and awakened to see the same dark figure (at least it appeared the same to me) at the base of the bed. However, this time it moved to the side of my bed and aggressively moved in front of my face while I remained on my back in bed. I was breathless and somehow I could feel the hands or pressure of what I could at best describe as hands grasp my throat. Then in my mind or perhaps in words that my ears truly heard, the apparition said to me, "I desire to have you." In terror, without physical strength, I restated what I had previously said years before, "In the name of the Lord Jesus I rebuke you"... And I added, "Jesus, please help me." I was released and the figure quickly moved away and into the dark it vanished again.

I share those stories because I always believed that there was an evil spirit sent to destroy me in one way or another. Maybe not but I think what happened on those nights as a teen were connected to the stories that did later happen in Cleves, Ohio.

My son was home from the hospital and life was busy for us. We were working in the church ministry and it was a serious learning experience for me, being a new dad and never being around infants before the birth of my son. The first event happened like this, we were asleep and I was awakened by heavy footsteps above us. I never said anything to my wife who was sleeping next to me. I listened and the noise of heavy walking then throwing of materials hitting the floor and walls directly above us continued on. I looked at the bedroom clock and the time was about 3 am.

If I could adequately describe what I heard it sounded like an angry person inspecting my books and in disgust throwing them against walls and onto the floor. Then stomping down the hall until the steps continued to move down the steps. Those steps led to the living area of the house on the first floor where our bedrooms were located.

At first I thought of an intruder but I recognized that I should have heard of some kind of forced entry. I was practically frozen in fear but as I listened to the thud of footsteps coming down the stairs to the main floor, I had a response to grab the 22-caliber revolver and move to the entrance of our bedroom. My son's room was immediately across the hallway such that if someone was moving from the kitchen down the hall into my son's room, then I would be there to defend entrance. So with my gun in my right hand I knelt down in the doorway and waited.

In 1992 we did not have a cell phone and the house phone was located on the kitchen wall -- I preferred to stay in the doorway of our room which gave me a place to protect and at least have a first-shot. I sound like a coward but for some reason within me there were heightened senses alarming me that this was extremely dangerous and the perpetrator was something more than just a human thief.

The steps stopped at the door entrance into the kitchen and I was staring down the hallway waiting to see but nothing. Silence for a while and I did not move with my loaded gun in hand; I was positioned in the darkness of our room but at the doorway waiting to aim and shoot. I could not let anyone get down that hallway.

Again the footsteps that seemed to shake the house moved from the kitchen entrance back up the stairs to the second floor, down the upstairs hallway, and into my soon-to-be study directly above us. My mind was filled with questions and in my heart or soul I sensed that something was dreadfully wrong. I managed to get myself through the bedroom door entrance and slowly, with gun in-hand, passed into the kitchen while walking as silently as I could. How I knew or at least thought that I knew it was not a human I really cannot say. Why I did not behave differently I cannot say either, which I know will cause many to doubt my sanity or sobriety.

I traveled cautiously into the living room area and made my way to the stairs, while staring at those steps leading upstairs. At each step I listened for something but I heard nothing. So I continued to the steps and began a slow climb and even now I remember how terrified I was that late night or early morning which happened to be an early Sunday. I could not say a word. I wanted to shout out a threat and warn of my gun in-hand, but I felt a terrible presence from the top of the stairs and I backed down slowly. I am not sure how long this whole process took in length-of-time but I made it back to the room and for some mystery which I cannot provide a logical answer, I laid back into the bed and fell asleep next to my wife.

The morning was a Sunday and I was awakened by the sunshine. I recall sitting up in bed thinking for the first second that it was a vivid dream that was more real than life. Yet, that glimmer of hope vanished when my wife (former wife today) grabbed hold of my arm with such a life or may be better said, death-grip, that immediately startled me. "Paul," she said, "get your gun and check the house. Someone was here last night." From there she went on to tell me of the time in which took place between my sleep when I returned from my frightful experience and the morning.

She got up responding to our son's cries in order to feed him which had to be sometime near 4:30 to 5:00 am. Sitting down in the rocking chair with our son in her arms feeding on a warm bottle was the start of her story. She said that she heard the footsteps of what she assumed was due to me in the kitchen getting a bottle prepared for feeding our son, and she said that she yelled that he was already eating and did not need a bottle. Then no response but the footsteps came down the hall and stopped before entering our son's bedroom. She knew or sensed something was not right since I had not said a word. Just loud footsteps and silence was the response to her words so she closed the door to the room.

She described what followed was scratching at the windows of the room from the outside and at the door. In terror she held onto our son and she closed the window blinds and curtains. She said that this person or something continued to scratch the windows then eventually it stopped and she got back into bed. Her words that morning froze me for seconds because she did not have any idea what events I had experienced beforehand an hour or so before her experiences. I left the bed that morning and began to investigate the house - the upstairs.

If only I could have seen so clearly the night before as I could this sunny, Sunday morning. I traveled upstairs and headed down that noisy hallway into the study where I saw books and boxes turned sideways and scattered everywhere. Something had been there just as I had heard and now I could see the evidence.

We went to church that morning and I briefly said to the pastor that we had strange events happening in the house. I got only some laughs and strange looks. So I tried sharing the story with my dad only to get responses like it was an animal trapped in the house such as a raccoon. Or may be a kid in the neighborhood that had access to the house and they were playing with us all night. A lot of strange responses but no one would listen to us. I quickly realized why people often keep stories like the supernatural quiet because most people respond with laughs and doubts.

We kept the night to ourselves and wondered if and what might happen again? It did not wait too long. BAM! We heard a loud shot to the floor and together we went to the kitchen to investigate. The clock that was fixed on the wall directly above the sink was resting face-up in the middle of the floor. Odd to us that it did not fall into the kitchen sink but was five feet out into the floor. I looked at the clock which was about 3am and said to my wife, "Well at least our clock did not break (I saw for certain that the second hand was moving and thought that the fall did not shatter the clock internals)." Startled but we went back to bed for the night and the remainder of that night was uneventful.

I think that next day was a Saturday because I was home and not at work. Now that event happened when we had left the sink partially filled with soapy water with dishes from the day before. My wife finished the job of cleaning the dishes and called me with some excitement in her voice. Why? She had in hands batteries and at first I was puzzled about their origin. They came from the clock. The clock that was resting on the floor and saw that the second hand was still moving, but how could be batteries be in the sink? I had put the clock back onto the wall and so I reached up and brought it down. The time was just past 3am! And yes, the second hand was not moving.

Another night came and another crash in the kitchen. The time was near 3am. Together we came into the kitchen to find that the garbage can had been turned upside down and the contents thrown all over the floor. The contents were spread for five or six feet as though the can had been physically thrown down. We could not stay there any longer was our decision. I was convinced that an evil spirit had invaded our home, even our lives. Part of me wanted to stay and fight, but I had a child exposed to powers that I could not understand.

Then before we actually made the commitment to the church verbally that we would be leaving, it happened. I was startled by the sounds of our intruder. The heavy steps above me and down the hall again forced me to fight, flee, or in this case pray. I left our bed that night without a gun and in fear began my walk through the dark house to meet our mysterious guest. I remember heading up the stairs reviewing Scriptures and trusting in the shelter of GOD's grace and power. I continued up the steps and as I got to the stop there was a definite reddish glow emanating from the rear room shining into the hallway.

It is difficult to understand and explain. Most likely difficult or impossible for the reader to believe... In any case, I recalled from the Bible how Michael the archangel of GOD limited his dialogue with the devil when disputing for the body of Moses (Jude 9), but fully relied on the power of the Holy Scriptures rebuking the fallen serpent in the name of Jesus. I knelt down at the top of the steps and verbally prayed to GOD.

I will not recite the words that I prayed because that was between the Lord and me. But I fully trusted in the power of His name that night and rebuked the evil spirit in the name above all names who is the Lord Jesus. I could feel the presence facing me and walking near me that night, but as though I was shielded by a greater might, it could not penetrate me while on bended knee. I did not look up but remained with eyes closed praying and while in prayer my faith increased and the fear left me. As did the evil presence and the house immediately felt different as though a wind blew past me and exited the house. What was once a place of horror became instantly our home that was now calm and safe.

There are many unanswered questions about that time. I rarely share this story and it has been near twenty three years now since it happened. Perhaps that old evil snake found other means to get me to stumble after those nights but it did happen. Those events did occur.

To some they will grab hold of the frightening events of a demonic attack and dwell on the horrendous part of the story. To the contrary, those experiences help me always remember that I trust in the living GOD that protects and shelters me at the name of Jesus. Since that day I've never experienced anything like it. I hope that I never do because evil is not a fun movie, it is truly dangerous - it is real.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Padams, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-07)
Bravo Holmes 😁 That was very precise 😊 Feel so very proud to be the Watson for you 😉
Sorry I haven't been around that much lately. How you been?

Regards
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-04)
Thank you very much Tweed and Val for clearing my doubts. 😊
Regards
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+2
9 years ago (2015-04-04)
sushantkar,
I grew up hearing of the 'witching hour', but it's connotation was different then that 3 A.M. Thing. It was much more 'fact based', being from midnight until dawn's pre-light. The 3A.M. Thing is a relatively new Hollywood twist as Rook pointed out.
The pre-dawn 'witching hour', as I said is 'fact based'. Notice, I put that in quotations as some of the 'facts' are based on beliefs that were once widely held. For instance, since the moon reaches its zenith around midnight it was thought that this is when a witch reaches the height of their power. (It was also held that all witches were basically evil, being in league with the devil.) Back then, when evil was thought to rule the darkness of those hours and light was either moon or lantern, many a stirring creature or late roaming mortal was seen as something unworldly. A drunk stumbling along his way was easily seen as a demon, as was some nocturnal animal.
I have been told by several practicing witches, that predawn hours are idyllic for spells or honing their craft as there are less distractions, making concentration easier.
In later years 'witching hour' came to encompass the wicked deeds many commit under the cover of darkness. The hours of midnight until dawn were ones that 'all good men should be in bed', so anyone out without just cause at that time, was thought to be up to no good. In many cases, even today, they are. The reason is basic - most are sleeping, so there is less likely a chance of being seen.
Since Rebel brought up using 3A.M. As a way of mocking the Trinity, I'll just throw this into the mix: In the Gospel of Mark, it says Jesus was crucified on the "third hour" (Mark 15:25), and the Gospel of John says the crucifixion sentence was on "about the sixth hour" (John 19:14). During the time of Christ sundials weren't in common use, and there was no unit of time used smaller than an "hour". Let's muddy things a bit more: at the time there were two primary ways of telling time; the Jewish from sunset to sunrise, and Romans began their's at midnight. Since both tellings of 'time' were approximate, I don't see how saying Christ passed at 3P.M. Could be concrete. Even when one tries to coincide the times, they are STILL only 'about', therefore not precise.
So, yes, in my opinion the 3A.M. 'witching hour' is urban legend. It only holds true IF you believe in it. After all, if I were demonic, I'd sure use that as a tool to scare you. 😆
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-04-04)
Shushantkar, it's up to you what you believe about witching hours.

Personally I feel, as Rook does, that it's just a time that holds no real universal significance because there are different time zones everywhere.
It is witching hour every second of the day, somewhere.
That doesn't mean to say that some ghosts and entities have a significant time they're active. But it's more about that individual situation, and/or that religion, many different factors. But nothing absolute or universal.
That's how I feel about it anyway.

Some people feel there is a such thing as witching hour and that's fine too.
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-04)
I, from my childhood have heard about witching hours from my grand parents and from my mother too, but I just dont't understand that why people just denied about its existance? Is it's just an urban legends?
Plz clear my doubts.

Regards & Respect
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-02)
I have to second notjustme's comment. I was a practicing Witch and while that is in my past and I now am a High Priest in my Church (A Christian one) I never heard of a 'Witching Hour' in the sense that is being discussed here.

The first time I heard a reference to a 'demonic witching hour' was the movie 'The Amityville Horror' (the orignal release)...and while BASED on a true story Hollywood hyped the spirits being active at the time the Defoes were murdered by their son...3:30am (ish).

So Hollywood has hyped a time when our senses are hightened and natural things may appear strange because we do not recognise them in the Dark... The movie industry has played on our fears and created a Witching Hour.

Will a true Demon Mock the Trinity? Well ask yourself this... Can they even speak Christ's name? They may say they are an Angel and even preform a trick or two but ask it whom it serves... And it will not speak His Name for they cannot...

Just offering my opinion...

Respectfully,

Rook
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-02)
Rebel - I have to disagree with you on the 3 am thing. All around the world the time zones are different so that wouldn't make much sense. I think Hollywood started that whole idea.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+2
9 years ago (2015-04-02)
Ok, to clear up any hurt feelings before they happen, no one is trying to make fun of LittleWriter. Yesterday was April Fool's, and on that day something very peculiar happens 'round these parts. Words get changed, sometimes to very comical effect. LittleWriter's comment ended up looking very odd during the April 1st stuff, but looks perfectly normal now.
RebelRaider (4 stories) (15 posts)
-3
9 years ago (2015-04-01)
Evil/Bad spirits will get very active around 3am as a way of mocking the Trinity. I have a theory, How long was your house empty before you moved in? Any chance teens got in and did some rituals? What else was it used for? Half way house or anything since it was Church owned?

Any way great story and thanks for sharing.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-01)
HAHAHHAHAHA!

LittleWriter, your comment on this day is truly hilarious.
Seriously can't believe how much this is making me laugh.

Padams, are you sure you didn't have an intruder on that night and also could you have been sleep walking? Because I don't think I recall you saying that you checked on your bub when you got up to check upstairs. I'm not a parent but imagine it'd be the first thing a woken person would do.

Sorry I'm still laughing inappropriately at poor LittleWriter's comment.
LittleWriter (4 stories) (10 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-01)
Dear Padams,

I would just like to say that I have a big admiration for your bravery and trust in the Lord Jesus. There are times that my own faith in Him isn't that great, but it's stories like this that make me think that maybe he does exist and is there to protect us, because the demons you described would not be afraid enough to leave because of mentioning a name that has no meaning to them.

I truly hope you are doing well now and got rid of those demons once and for all.
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-01)
Dear Padams,
Welcome to YGS.
Thank you for sharing with us.
I completely agree with Wish-Not.Glad you were brave enough.

Regards

[at] Wish-Not: well said my friend 😊 How have you been? Good I suppose!
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-03-31)
Padams- Truly a frightening story. So glad that you are able to look back it with a positive attitude. Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: