You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Ghost From Prison

Real Ghost Stories

The Ghost From Prison

 

I'm sure all of us have had "ghostly encounters", we all think that lamp on the desk is a "shadow person" or whatever. But let me tell you about a legitimate experience with a spirit from "the other side".

I was about 10 years old at the time, I was at my grandparents' house. My grandparents live in Crawfordsville, Indiana, only a few miles from the notorious rotating jail. It is a gory prospect, from hangings, limbs lost in the rotating bars, and even decapitation from the nefarious rotating device.

It goes like this, there are two sets of bars, one inside, and one outside. The inner bars stay put, and the outer ones rotate. The bars that rotate are kind of like the doors to the cells. When they get to the right spot in rotation, one of the cells open. People have stuck heads and limbs through the two sets of bars while they were rotating. See where I'm getting here?

Back at my grandparent's house, I was watching some TV when I heard a little bit of scuffling. At first I just thought it was grandpa shuffling down the hallway in his house slippers. So I said, "Hi grandpa!" loud enough from the TV so he could hear me, but there was no reply. So I called again, "Hi grandpa!" but again, no response. I got off the bed and peeped into the hallway. "Hello?" I called out. I saw the bathroom door shutting when I poked my head out, and so I just thought he didn't answer because he was in the bathroom.

So I went back to watching some TV when I realized he always used the bathroom in the master bedroom, which I was in, watching TV... I then heard my grandpa say, "Time to brush your teeth!" from the living room, which I hadn't seen, or heard, in that matter, the bathroom door open. I waited for him to get up and go into the bathroom to brush his teeth, for obvious reasons (He uses the bathroom in the hallway to brush his teeth). He got up and went to the hallway bathroom, and came out with all the toothbrushes in his hands, face as white as a sheet, saying in a shaky voice, "Let's brush in the bathroom in our room tonight."

I brushed my teeth and went into the living room. I usually sleep in my dad's old room, but my sister said it was "her turn", even though she had slept in it last time. I lay there under the old afghan blanket my grandma had knitted, when I hear some more scuffling. My grandparents are asleep, of course (as all of the ghost stories go), and I cover my head. But since the afghan has holes in it, I can see everything out of it clearly. I see a white figure by the windows, I know it wasn't just curtains, because the curtains are a dark shade of green. I try to scream, but nothing comes out. The pale cloud of white particles seems to turn toward me, when I bolt out of bed to my grandparents' room. I wake them up of course, and I tell them what happened. My grandma comes out and looks for the "ghost", but there's nothing. My grandpa puts his fingers up to his lips, in a way that says, "Don't tell". I nod in a worried manner and head back to sleep, only on the floor in my dad's old room with my sister.

To this day, I haven't told anyone about my frightening encounter, and I'm still afraid to sleep in the fold-out couch in my grandparent's living room.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Cowbotblob, has the following expectation about your feedback: I won't be reading the comments.

Cowbotblob (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-08)
Thank you so much! I am glad you understand more now, I was a little unclear. I am so glad you enjoyed my story, and I hope it is a good ghost too! In fact, I'm at my grandparents' house right now! 😳:-)
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-06)
Cowbotblog!

Hey there, glad to hear you selected the wrong comment option thingy, also thanks for responding!

I got to admit an awful cold chill ran down my back while I was reading your story.
While it's a natural reaction for many to get scared by ghost activity, I do like to encourage people to think outside the 'fear' box. I would also say to try and separate that natural fear from what your gut feelings tell you. Gut feelings are the key.
There's something about the way you described how your grandfather took you to the other bathroom that made my skin crawl!
But even so it still could have been a nice ghost, at least I hope!
Cowbotblob (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-04)
Sorry! I didn't mean to press the, "I won't be looking at comments" button. The reason my grandpa didn't want me to share it was because, my grandma didn't know about the ghost, so he didn't want her to know and worry (my grandma worries a lot). Also, I do not know if he saw the same thing that I did, but we both assumed that that's what happened. Sorry for being unclear. What tweed said about the prison activity is probably true, but I was just thinking that that might be what it is. For the record, my grandparent's house is the first hous in the neighborhood, which is also right beside a powerful river, where people could have easily drowned. Also what you said Tweed, about it not being necessarily bad, it scared the stuffing out of my grandpa and I, whatever it was (if we saw the same thing that is). Also, this website is not intended for bad ghost experiences, just for experiences in general. Thanks for the comments,
Cowbotblob.
renatokun (2 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-04)
The obvious question is: Did you ask your grandpa why he didn't want you to share about what you've experienced?
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-02)
Oh, dang it.
Word.

Well I was going to offer that what you saw wasn't necessarily bad. Also, as it's unclear what your Grandpa experienced, it might not have been to do with the gruesome prison activity.
Mac_Barbie93 (6 stories) (42 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-02)
I couldn't have agreed more with lady-glow said. Exactly!: (
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-01)
I have some questions about this story, but it is pointless to ask if you are not even going to read the comments. 😐
How disappointing. Boo

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: