You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Grandfather's Shadow

Real Ghost Stories

Grandfather's Shadow

 

I haven't posted an experience since last year, so I decided to post one of my mum's experiences today. I will post more of my own soon. I promise! Anyway, my mother doesn't believe in the paranormal; however, what she saw, she can't explain. At the age of 46, she's still trying to come up with a logical explanation for what happened to her, even though this happened back when she was in her early twenties (I wasn't even a figment of her imagination yet).

My mom is from Portugal, but she moved to Canada when she was 3 years old, and every once in awhile, they would go down to visit. My great-grandfather recently died, so they flew down to go to the funeral. They were staying with some cousins, and they have a cat named Duke, who strangely seems to like my mom more than them (not super important, but it explains some things).

My mom was staying in the guest room, and the night before the funeral she was lying in bed trying to go to sleep when she felt someone or something sit down on the edge of the bed. She figured it was Duke, since he always came to sleep with her whenever she came to visit. She sat up to scoop up Duke, but no one was on the bed or around it. And out of the corner of her eye, she saw a black shadow slip out from beneath the door.

To this day, we still don't know what it was. Maybe it was my great-grandfather saying goodbye one last time or maybe it was something else?

Any type of feedback would be great! Thank you so much for reading/checking out my mom's experience. Maybe we can finally get a better understanding of things!

Other hauntings by ghostgurlie15

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ghostgurlie15, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Shrutee (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-07)
Hi Ghostgurlie,
I am new here...
That was really thrilling experience of your mum!
I agree with other commenters & I think love is the bridge between real world and otherworldly things!
You said that you are going to post your story, so I am waiting for it!:)
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-03)
Ghostgurlie15, most shadow people, probably wouldn't sit on beds, (while someone's laying on them at least),I'm sure of that because I've read a lot about them and I've read a lot of others experiences (I've also seen them myself). BUT - if it was a family member like your passed away great-great-grandfather, then I'm sure they would. It also sound right, because you know like when someone (a lot of times parents) sits down on your bed and they have a talk with or something, usually after hard or tough day. I'm sure your Mother had a tough one that day, seems how a family member had recently died, and maybe it was her great-granddad sitting there to tell her that it's going to be alright, and maybe he quickly left because he didn't want to make her scared. (He probably didn't realize that she was awake).
And that is how I would puzzle this together.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-02)
Hi Ghostgurlie,

Apparently it's common for the recently deceased to visit loved ones in this way. For a lot of people they show themselves as they were in life, looking exactly the same.
Since your mother saw a shadow I'm wondering, if it was her grandfather, if he decided not to 'show' himself completely for fear of scaring her.

That's what I'd think if this happened to me.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: