You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Our Doppelganger

Real Ghost Stories

Our Doppelganger

 

I am going to tell you about my family's doppelganger. I believe it is a he, although it is hard to tell. Throughout my childhood there has been a subtle amount of encounters. The climax of it all happened in my suburban home in South Carolina.

I never slept in my bed by myself. There was always his breath on my neck. The hot moist air seemed to never go away. I rarely slept. My dad had a small angel he used to put above his door, every morning it was on the ground. These were the sleeping arrangements.

I had a walk in closet in my room. On the weekends, when my step-sisters visited, they liked to play hide and go seek in my closet. Turns out they're not the only ones. My mother and I were in the kitchen, cooking, and we began to hear giggling from upstairs. Along with noisy footsteps and a excited mumble. We tried to come up with some logical explanation. Like maybe kids are playing outside. I searched the area for any sign of children, there were none. We went upstairs. The clothes in my closet had been ripped from there hangers and thrown all over my room.

That night I went to go take a shower. I was singing very loudly that night because I was extremely nervous. I stepped out of the shower, and a voice said to me "you're really good miss!" I was terrified and tried to run out of the bathroom, I slipped on water and fell. The voice continued "I didn't mean to startle you miss. How's your head?" I screamed as loudly as possible blocking out anything else he had to say. I managed to get to my feet and escape the bathroom.

My parents had gone out for the night, and I didn't expect anyone to be home for a while. I went to my room and quickly got dressed. I went downstairs and began to watch a movie to try to ease my mind. I heard footsteps upstairs, and I struggled to ignore them. I was sitting on the couch that faced the TV, but faced away from the front door. I had dead-bolted the front door, so when I heard the jingle of keys I assumed it was my mom.

I heard the door open and my mom say "Hey Liv." It's a nickname of mine so I turned around to greet her, no one was there, and the door was closed. While I was turned away I heard frantic footsteps going upstairs. The same kind of encounters continued for several months. We even had a friend bless the house. Eventually it wavered off and went back to subtle experiences.

P.s. Sorry for grammar mistakes.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, oliviashae00, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-07)
Wait a second, how do you know it's a doppelganger, don't they have to look exactly like another person to be a doppelganger? Or are they still considered doppelgangers if they act like the person and sound like them, but you can't see them? This story has totally confused me.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-06)
-Thanks for the correction, Tweed. It was one of *those* days, yesterday!
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-06)
Hi Olivia,

I don't blame you for being scared! Though thankfully this doesn't sound like a particularly bad presence in your home.
Like Biblio said the effects of fatigue, as you said you found it hard to sleep, this could account for hearing and/or seeing things.
(btw Biblio, the voice in the bathroom was referred to as 'he')

Another possibility about the voice which sounded like your mother. Being that you were expecting to hear her enter and greet you. Your mind may have automatically put that expectation onto the voice you actually heard. That's to say the voice you heard, if you could play it back, might not have sounded like your mum but your mind interpreted that way down to factors like fear and every day expectation.
The fact that it called you by your nickname suggests it's a ghost who knows you well enough to use that name.

The breath on your neck could be that of a child. One from the days when it was common for many children to share one bed. Perhaps your room used to be this child's room and he or she simply sleeps in the same way. Maybe they also used to play in that closet.
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-05)
It's hard to word this without sounding like a pedantic ass, so my apologies in advance, but I'm not seeing how the doppelganger referred to in the title fits in, except maybe for the part about thinking you heard your mother's voice. Doppelgangers are doubles who either look or sound like someone you know, but know could not possibly have been the person you saw or heard at that moment. The visual ones are harder to explain away, but the audio ones could be explained by a phenomena called residual energy. I have experienced this many times, although never a voice. I have heard familiar sounds that were very clear and distinct, which simply did not occur when I thought I heard them (like the sound of doors opening and closing when you know or later find out no one is home). This is a possible explanation for hearing your mother, although the doppelganger phenomena is also a possibility. The breath on your neck and moved objects sound more like a traditional haunt. The incident in the bathroom is just plain weird and scary. Glad to hear things have died down somewhat. Stay healthy and safe. Whatever this is, or was, it doesn't sound particularly dangerous or threatening. More mischievous, if anything.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-05)
Greetings, Olivia Shae.

Welcome to YGS; thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

As it is customary to be skeptical at first, please do not take offense at the first few questions, as they are not meant to be intrusive or insulting:

1) Would you clarify if you were on any medications, sleep-deprived, feverish or ill on any of the occasions you mentioned?

2) Did your mother hear the mischievous/unwelcome noises from upstairs, or was she trying to hear what you were describing? (The aging process starts to diminish the hearing abilities of the average person around age 30.)

3) How old is your home? Is it on the site of an older structure?

4) Was the voice in your bathroom male or female?

My first thought about your experiences was to notice the diction used by the disembodied voice in your bathroom. To address someone as "Miss" twice in three sentences is exceedingly polite, quite formal, or deferential. From the early 1700s to the early twentieth century, Ladies' maids would enter the bathroom if their ladies were bathing, and no one though it peculiar or indiscreet (for a substantial portion of that time, ladies might choose to bathe in a loose-fitting garment called a shift). If it was a female voice, your home simply may have a maid hanging around. It sounds to me as if this polite and apologetic voice has nothing to do with he more menacing or annoying phenomena. However, given the wide variety of events listed, I would appreciate your responses to the above questions *before* speculating any further about the natural/supernatural nature of the frightening/disturbing experiences.

Best,
-Biblio

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: