You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunting At Guildwood Inn

Real Ghost Stories

Haunting At Guildwood Inn

 

This is my Ghost Story;

It was on the cusp of the new millennium, while I and my girlfriend decided to stay the night together in a hotel. To celebrate our 1 year anniversary and New Years, it was hard to find a good romantic hotel that was not full or had a waiting list. I wanted one in the City of Toronto, it was hellish to find one, as it was like a last minute thing, and the other cheap motels you can find near Kingston Rd, were also full. I found one, and surprisingly it was not full, it was almost empty!

What I found for us was the Guildwood Inn Hotel. If I remember correctly we checked in around 11pm. In the parking lot there were only about four other cars there. As we entered the lobby to check in, the desk clerk was getting ready to leave. I remember signing the guest book and remembered very quickly I looked at the first entry made in the guest book, dating back to 1979 I think. The desk clerk told me that the hotel closes officially on Jan 2, 2001. He kindly reminded us the time we need to be checked out by, and informed us that the kitchen has already been closed down and shockingly informed us that there will be no staff onsite. He left just as we left to go towards our room I could not remember the exact room number, but I could remember it being on the 3rd floor. I remembered climbing the wooden stairs, with some coloured paintings and black and white photographs hanging on the wall to reach the level where the elevator was down the hall. The pictures I only assume were those of painted by the artists that stayed here, and pictures of them beside their art?

The elevator got me a little ticked off, as we had to wait for a while for it to come down. We were tired now, and didn't feel like partying or anything. It went up to the 6th floor, stopped at the 3rd floor and then it went up to the 6th floor again. This happened like multiple times, can't remember the exact number of times it did that. And then finally about 10 minutes of waiting, it came to the lobby. From the 6th floor, then stopped at the 3rd floor, and then the lobby, we just assumed the person got off at the 3rd floor nothing much.

As my girlfriend and I got to the room we quickly unpacked, and noticed how uncomfortably cold it was. I thought they must of forgotten to turn up the heat. I checked the thermostat, it was pointing to a cozy 28, or 25 I think. My girlfriend and I took our showers waited for the New Year Count Down that was happening at New City Hall. As we prepared to go to bed, the room was still hellishly cold. We can even see our breaths in the room. It was always like this since we came in, unpacked, took our showers. The only good part was the washroom was the only place that was warm?! The room had an outside balcony but it was covered in snow at that time. I looked out and what I saw were a set of footprints leading from the hotel back where the sculptures are and outside theatre to the park? There was no one there making them, just footprints. I thought to myself, I was too tired to care and jumped into bed with my girlfriend who was already starting to snore as she slept.

As I slept, I was awoken with a bang, thumping noise, with heavy breathing. This was coming from the wall where our beds headboard was against. But I realized, there was no room behind us and it, unless I missed it. I groggily tapped on the wall behind us, and the noise stopped. I fell back to sleep afterwards.

Later I then heard the noise again, but just heavy breathing kind of noise. I was so upset, and I thought to myself, "not again!" I opened my eyes, and there hovering above me one or two feet above in the air, was this looking Asian, Indian mixed woman screaming at me, with her long hair whipping about wildly, and a red dress, cloak, or coat, was doing the same thing, it didn't have any patterns on it, it was straight red. Her hands were outstretched like she was trying to grab me or something. She slow came closer to me, her breath smelled like rotten eggs mixed with cigarette smoke. The end of her hair brushed against my face and forehead. The blanket flew off of us, exposed to the cold again. I tried to shake my girlfriend to wake her up, and she did. I looked at her, and she looked at me and realized what was happening, screamed, and shoved the cross that was on her necklace outward. In a split second, we both heard a loud scream, and what was ever there disappeared. The room then slowly warmed up. She told me that was some kind of nightmare let's try to go back to sleep.

Both of us couldn't sleep the rest of the night we stayed up watching TV.

As the sun came up, we checked out from the hotel earlier than we should of. As there was no desk clerk, we just left our keys on the front counter desk.

Other hauntings by Honshu

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Honshu, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-24)
I always hope I am ready for my lessons. They can be painful sometimes. 😊 Thanks for being open to all the feedback.
Honshu (4 stories) (14 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-24)
Thank you Hecate0, life is always a lesson. Lesson learned and schooled.
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-24)
I love this site. You guys have a hard job. It helps everyone, Honshu included, to learn about these things, both paranormal and mundane. I am always happy to support those who seek accountability. Thank you guys!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-24)
Hecate0 - LOL yep 😆 and I appreciate your explanation of plagiarism. I didn't know that about copying your own words. Learned something new today. Also appreciate the support 😊
Honshu (4 stories) (14 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-24)
Hi Miracles51031 and Hecate0, thanks for the info.
If I only knew, or they should it add it in the submitting guidelines. Where if you have previously posted a story before in other web sites, we should inform the readers. Moving forward any other personal experiences that I do share here, that already has a posting on a different site, I will inform and provide a link.

It is not my intention to misinform just following the guidelines that have been laid down.
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-04-24)
Miracles, we were publishing our comments at the same time. Great minds...:)
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
+3
9 years ago (2015-04-24)
Honshu,

This is not hating. It is just asking for accountability. I teach at a university and plagiarism is called even if you copy your own words previously published without citing yourself. So, to be fair, you should have alerted everyone here that you had published this and changed specific details. That way, when they, as good investigators, not haters, found your old story, they would know exactly what to expect. Hope this helps in future citations for you. Look up plagiarism. It is a complex topic.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-04-24)
Honshu - most people will note in their stories that certain details, like names, have been changed. It prevents situations like this, where stories have been submitted that are on other sites. We have way too many people plagiarizing stories and have no way of knowing you didn't do the same.

We have rules to adhere to and we try our very best to do that. Submitting many stories that are on other sites smells of plagiarism and we don't knowingly publish plagiarized stories.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-24)
You've painted yourself into a corner here. Drop it. This will be the last time I respond to you.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-24)
The better question might by why are you? You've put yourself in an awkward position, and now call me a troll and a hater. I'm just doing my job. It's a great big internet, I'm sure you can find a site more to your liking.
Honshu (4 stories) (14 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-24)
Sorry BadJuuJuu, that last post was not directed for you, in general it is not but to others. I just feel frustrated when you decide to post a real life experience, and then it gets nit picked for the authenticity of it? Where I decided to tell the truth up to a certain point meaning protecting peoples identity. Is that wrong?
Honshu (4 stories) (14 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-24)
Telling the story with the Truth to the certain point, as I have followed the guidelines, as I omitted the real names, genders. So how is this breaking the rules? In addition I have no time for haters, or trollers. I have work to do, and a life to live, sorry. If I decided to change the name of people to protect their identity, or change the sexual orientation of them. But I know this, is that I have followed the rules of the land before I submitted my story. If you have problems with that. Then why are you here?!
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-24)
"True to a certain point" isn't exactly reassuring as to your truthfulness. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to hit the publish button on anything else with your name on it.
Honshu (4 stories) (14 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-24)
Here is the Big Answer you have all been waiting for.

It is my story, I have posted to several sites when I was younger, before I have posted it here. I have made some changes to it, some additions and subtractions to try to make flow. But in the end it is true personal experience.

About the Guild Inn, I have lived in the area and went to school (Sir Wilfred Laurier high school. You will find my History Teacher picture there named Mr. Reid as a former staff. In the area, and it is a Hotel at that time, you would have to dig to find. Its not located on tourist trips, or hotel strips. I can assure you what I have written is true to a certain point. The Hotel Block that I had stayed in is demolished, the main building that served as the main entrance is in shambles, and needs shoring up.

The site http://writingisfun.yolasite.com/posted-stories-or-poems.php must of copied my entry that I made to the Pararesearchers, and also to a facebook group ghost889.com as well.
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-14)
I seriously think you guys will regret me not showing you this stuff earlier, I'm not saying that it definatly is him that is doing the wrong but something just is not right after I found what I did.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-14)
lol why my fellow ysg members are quite the investigators... Good finds guys. We'll have to wait to hear from Honshu...
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+2
9 years ago (2015-04-14)
I think we should give him a chance to explain. If he can't, that's all the proof we need. For now I think we should just walk away from this thread, read other stuff, bake something (my plan) whatever sounds fun.
And, thanks for not being mad at me.
Ok, this story can take a nap now lol. Off we all go to find more interesting pursuits. 😊
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-14)
BadJuJu, I was just now kind of looking around and I think seriously I serious have proof that this is fake. Doo you want me to show you what found? Cause I don't want keep posting all this under his story.
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-14)
There is still the possibility that he had posted the stories it on another site before this one and that before he published it here he went through and made a couple changes that he thought were necessary.
Don't be sorry, everyone makes mistakes sometimes, and if it is what it seems, then he should be the one apologizing for wasting people's time and plagiarizing. (Takeing someone else's story and publishing it worse that the one made up story).
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-14)
Omg! I really hope this isn't so. This is the very reason I'm wary to post anything on the internet.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-14)
Oh geez. I really hope that this isn't what it looks like. If it is, then I'm sorry to everyone that I published this.
I guess all we can do is see if the OP has an explanation.
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-14)
BadJuJu, I just figured out something also, if you look at his last story he posted a while ago, it is also like another story out on the Internet. If you look at that story, then look at this website: http://writingisfun.yolasite.com/posted-stories-or-poems.php
Scroll down to story #10 posted by someone named: Iwashaunted,
It is exactly like it. So this and the other one is probably another fake on this site.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-14)
Interesting find. I copy/paste segments of stories before publishing to try to avoid publishing anything that exists on another site. Only works if something is word for word though.
Honshu, I'm sorry to say but it really looks as if you retold someone else's story in your own words. I truly hope that isn't the case. 😢
fineandmellow (3 stories) (9 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-14)
Ummm, so when I read this story I thought this hotel must be a super intriguing place, so I went looking for other ghost stories and found a very similar account with somewhat differing details (for the story, scroll down):
Http://www.pararesearchers.org/index.php?/20080806565/Ghosts-Hauntings/The-Guild-Inn-Scarborough-Ontario/Investigation-with-the-TDSB.html

I'm curious and would like to ask the OP - is this your story? Or did basically the same thing happen on the same night to two different couples?:D
I'm also confused about the date of this experience. Did it happen on Dec 31st, 1999 or 2000?
Honshu (4 stories) (14 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-14)
Hi elnoraemily;

No offense taken ever.

To the fact, I did try to adjust the thermostat all it did was give a hissing sound, and the temperature remained the same on the indicator. We were able to see our breaths in the room, but not the washroom. It seems that washroom was room temperature according to the thermostat. But there was only one thermostat I can recall.

It could be because it was old building, but we were staying in the modern area. The Hotel Block that was attached to the original Inn in 1965. But we were on the 3rd floor.

-She screamed at what I saw when I woke her up, Yes she was sleeping through the screams. She is deep sleeper, unless you shook her hard.

She the ghost/spirit or whatever it was, had long hair.

-We were on the 3rd floor.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+2
9 years ago (2015-04-13)
I lived in a house once, that in winter only the bathroom remained warm as it was the only completely interior room. All the others had exterior walls, and being an old building the insulation wasn't all it could be. This could be the case in your hotel room.
elnoraemily (guest)
+2
9 years ago (2015-04-13)
I am afraid that I have to voice the same thing as Ari.

That being said, I did enjoy the read quite a bit.

I do have some questions/statements, however, that I hope you won't take offense to:

-Did you try to adjust the thermostat? It could have been broken and just stuck showing 25-28. To see your breath it has to be around 45 degrees (7 C) and that seems a bit low to consider showering and sleeping in.

-This is an old building, correct? The weird sounds from inside the wall could be bad/old piping and heating. Hissing, breathing and banging sounds all fall in with bad piping coming on and off, which could be unrelated.

-Was she screaming silently? You said you have to wake up your girlfriend, but was she sleeping through the screams?

-How did her hair hit you, but not her hands, especially if she was reaching for you?

-What floor were you on? It could have been a small animal hopping in the snow, leaving imprints, but hard to tell from a distance up.

I also appreciated the elevator part. An elevator I took in Australia did the same thing and would occasionally open the doors when it was a foot or two off it's mark.

We took the stairs a lot.
Honshu (4 stories) (14 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-13)
Sceptic-Ari, I can understand it sounds like a Hollywood script. At present I am trying to find the Guest Book for this Hotel. I hope it is preserved. As it will indicate that I and my girlfriend did indeed stay there. This story is not made up, it is the real deal.
WiniPu4 (207 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-12)
Hello,
VERY creepy! Apparently that hotel was very haunted according to many other visitors, employees, guests and paranormal researchers that have posted their experiences online. The name recorded is actually The Guild Inn Scarborough Ontario, on Guildwood Pkwy in Guildwood Village.
Kind Regards,
Lynev
Benno_2201 (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-11)
What a coincidence, the date the Inn was scheduled to close, is in fact my exact birth date.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: