You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Waiting For The Bus

Real Ghost Stories

Waiting For The Bus

 

My story takes place three years ago in the town of Bethany, Connecticut. I lived in this town for 3 years before I moved to upstate New York for college. It is an extremely small rural town with lots of farmland, trails, and livestock. Horseback riding is very common; you see people riding every day. I loved living there, even if it was kind of out of the way. In high school I met my girlfriend, who lived three towns over in Milford, Connecticut, a 30 minute drive from my small town of Bethany.

One night in early autumn, we were over my house for dinner. We sat and watched a movie and then it was time to take her home (I was only 18, she was 17, she wasn't allowed to sleep over). It is about 10:45 at night and she and I cram in my little Mazda3 sedan, and we take off. In Bethany, there are NO streetlights, so the roads are very dark. We drove about two miles out and my girlfriend begins to panic because she left her cell phone over at my place. Frustrated, I decided to turn around and head back to get it. I took a left down a road called Old Mill Road. Across from this road is a large concrete manufacturing plant; the road is about 100 yards long and is a dead end, a gated-off trail is at the very end where people would horseback ride. However about halfway down the road another road branches off from Old Mill which leads to residential homes. It is PITCH black out and I drove slowly with my high beams on.

Our car starts to approach the end of the road when we see two people standing near the gate. I switch to low beams, as I didn't want to blind them. My girlfriend said something like "huh, what are they doing?"

I started to make a K-turn to turn around. I put the car in reverse, turning on the white reverse lights. As I back up, my girlfriend said "watch out for those people..." I look out my rear window to see the two people. It was a man and a little girl, maybe about 7 years old. He was wearing jeans and an orange shirt. His skin was darker, possibly Hispanic. He was holding hands with the young girl who wore a pink shirt and had on a small pink backpack. It looked as if they were waiting for the school bus, but it was 11pm at night.

I then said "they better move out of the way, I gotta back up," it was a narrow road. I backed up toward them until they were only feet away from my rear bumper. They never even moved. Most parents who see a car backing up toward their child would have shuffled them out of the way. They just stood there. My girlfriend, who babysat, said, "geez, way to protect your kid... Almost backed into them." I sat back in my seat and glanced in my rear-view mirror to see the man and the girl illuminated by my reverse lights. They didn't have faces. From their shoulders up was fuzzy and transparent with just the outline of their heads, I could see straight through to forest behind them. I then got that awful feeling of horror mixed with dread and sadness. I just stared at them. I put the car in drive and slowly pulled away, watching them disappear into the darkness.

I didn't say a word. In my mind I was panicking; what did I just see! My girlfriend then said, "that was so weird, what was he doing out there with his daughter at this hour with no flashlight. That was so dangerous." I then said as calmly as I could manage, "baby, they didn't have faces". I was almost in tears. I never had an experience like this before. She then started saying that I was scaring her and she didn't know what I was talking about. I then pieced it all together: a man and a little girl waiting for the bus at 11 o'clock at night, its pitch black out. We almost backed into them and they didn't move out of the way, and to top it off they had nothing from the shoulders up. They were ghosts.

Like I said, I've never had an experience like that. You say to yourself that it is just a ghost, I am a strong 18-year-old with big muscles, I am not afraid of anything. But I will admit, I was scared. My girlfriend ended up sleeping over my house that night, and I am thankful for the experience, as scary as it may have been, as it confirmed my belief in spirits and makes for a great [TRUE!] story to tell my kids someday.

Other hauntings by specialized2001

 

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Connecticut

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, specialized2001, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

RANDYM (2 stories) (266 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-08-17)
Specialized 2001

I just came to read this story after reading Red Eye earlier today.
Definitely glad you shared as I really enjoyed it

Randy
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-16)
That sent a bug shiver through my body when reading this. Thanks for sharing. Have you ever been back? Or have you ever know any one who has also been there and seen things?
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-13)
Great recount Specialized - you clearly set the scene very vividly. It's puzzling isn't it as to why these spirirts would be showing themselves at that place. I understand that sometimes when there is very strong emotions, events can be imprinted on the ether and then be seen in the right situations. These "people" didn't seem to have any awareness of you, your car or girlfriend so I would assume you saw an historical event? Very interesting!
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-13)
Really interesting. I tried looking up anything that fits that for that area, but came up empty handed.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-13)
Great story specialized and going into my favs! I agree with granny. Would be interesting to find out what/if any research would come up with.

[at] Ankitreseacher... Try "sir/ma'am". That gives "everyone" respect.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-13)
ooh favs! I loved this story. Very well told and very creepy. I felt as if I was there!
Ankitresearcher (guest)
-1
9 years ago (2015-04-12)
i call everybody sir as to give respect
As we have this tradition in india
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-12)
I'm not a sir. We're not taking up space on someone else's story over yours. You can rewrite and resubmit it if you like.
Conversation over.
Ankitresearcher (guest)
-3
9 years ago (2015-04-12)
sorry sir
I really didn't new about it but thanks for enhancing my knowledge and also sir you did the review of my story please can you suggest anything to me sir so that I can improve on it please sir
For BadJuuJuu
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-12)
Ankitresearcher, you only need to hit publish once. I deleted your second comment.
And not to answer for the OP, but there are no hard and fast rules that a ghost ~has~ to show its face. There are a lot of stories about faceless entities.
Ankitresearcher (guest)
-4
9 years ago (2015-04-12)
beautiful one but how can you see the clothes and not the mouth as most of time ghost have their face onn as to recognize whose ghost it is? As in here you said ghost does not revieled its identity but how this can be? Please sir can you please explain? But indeed a beautiful story sir 😁
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-12)
creepy...! If you see such kind of thing at night it's sure that you'll get scared... It's good that nothing happened to both of you...

Chilling story... Indeed...
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-04-11)
specialized: *shaking off the heebie-jeebies* I'm wondering if you've ever done any research into the area such as when/if a school bus had a route there and any possible deaths in the area? Has anyone you know had any experiences there?

Interesting...I'm off to Google LOL 😆
ashar123 (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-11)
A scary feeling that the people you encountered didn't have faces. A spine chilling experience you have gone through. Truly a fabulous story to tell your kids some day.

Take care and thanks for sharing!

😊
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-11)
I'll be honest, I kind of just thought it was some irresponsible parent until I read a little further. Very creepy sighting, and you're right, a great story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: