You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: Shadow People And Ghosts For 15 Years

Real Ghost Stories

Shadow People And Ghosts For 15 Years

 

I have been experiencing what I call "visits" since I was 8 years old (I'll be 23 in a week). I was born in caul* so from a young age my mother has always joked that I am witch, but according to myth I supposedly have the a "deeper awareness and understanding of the world in which we live."

I don't fully remember how it all started but I remember being scared to go to sleep around 2nd grade, developing full on childhood insomnia. This led my parents to put me in counseling in hopes that it would help. Thinking back, the earliest vivid visitations started occurring around the age 11. It started out just with very tall shadowy figures watching me. Sometimes it's as many as 3 at a time, but usually just one. At this time they never came very close or touched me. There were periods of time where I would go without seeing them at all - up to two years at a time, but when I moved to college at age 18 they started coming closer. I don't know if this was because I was on my own for the first time and they felt less threatened to interact with me or what, but ever since things have gotten worse and worse.

The first physical encounter was when I was 20. I was living with my boyfriend in a little house we were renting together at the time. (A lot of strange things happened in that house. One morning my boyfriend and I woke up and there was a very large perfect circle of water -NOT SWEAT- in the center of our bed... No leaks in the roof, no logical explanation whatsoever. There were consistently loud footsteps at night, doors would shut on their own, the sink would randomly fill itself with scalding hot water... It was not a happy place.)

One morning he left before I woke up to go to an early class. I woke to say goodbye then laid in bed for a while, not really wanting to move and eventually dozed off. It's not unusual for me to have dreams where I am completely aware of my actual surroundings, where I can see everything in the room around me... But on that morning the first and one of the most terrifying encounters happened. The figure first appeared in the corner of the bedroom then slowly approached my bed. It had no real shape, but was completely black. It almost looked like a person wearing a burqa. I was too scared to move but I watched it closely. It sat down on the corner of my bed next to my foot and where it sat I felt my foot dip down with the weight of it.

This has been happening consistently, 5 times a month at least, since then and has been getting worse and worse.

About 2 months ago there were three watching me, one came to the bed where I had fallen asleep in a curled up position and pulled my leg until it was straight. It's gotten to the point where I can't sleep out of fear. I see them in my peripherals all the time when I am alone. It's awful. What do they want with me?! I'm so tired of sleepless nights or waking up in tears.

I understand that these experiences are most commonly associated with sleep paralysis, but my research tells me that only about 3% of the global population experiences this on such a regular basis and no one I've ever met and talked to has had it for so long or to the degree of intensity that I am continuously experiencing.

But last night, something even stranger happened...

I fell asleep very quickly which is incredibly odd for me. When I was slipping in to sleep, I felt a strange sensation near the back of my head that wrapped around to my cheek. It was like suddenly my head and pillow had become magnetic and were being sucked together. I woke up around 4:30am feeling like I was being watched and across my room, standing in front of my bookshelves reading a book was a boy that looked to be in his early 20's. He was so real, so incredibly real that I immediately assumed he was an intruder. I was so paralyzed with fear that I barely could work up the courage to say "hello,"

But I finally did. When I spoke his eyes moved towards me and I immediately reached for my bedside lamp and turned the light on. As soon as the lamp switched on, he was gone. But after he left a weird smell hung in the air and my body, from the pelvis down, turned cold and tingly- like a breeze was hitting my legs but I felt with my hand and they were not cold to the touch... It was like a deeper cold. The chair I had sitting next to the shelves was pushed to the side, as well.

This was so far from any other visits I've experienced. For once, it did not feel threatening though. I am thoroughly creeped out, none the less. I live in a very old apartment building in an area where a lot of college students live and I wonder if this is the ghost of a past resident that maybe died at a young age. I'm thinking of doing a bit of research to find out more about past tenants.

I was wondering if sage smudging is something worth trying? I'm curious to see if it would help with both the shadow visitors and the ghost boy.

Even now as I am researching and writing this, I keep getting waves of tingles and chills all over my body.

*Side note: Anyone else here born in the caul/behind the veil? I've never met anyone else that has and always wonder if this might have something to do with my experiences.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Massachusetts

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, bretta_walker, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-27)
Just get your house cleansed in some way, or keep a bible open or something. I know what your talking about, I've seen them before, but I don't see them anymore.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-23)
BJJ,

No problems.

Bretta,

When BJJ's right shes right. I can not speak for being born in a caul except that old wives tales say this means the individual born in this matter is a senitive or psychic, who am I to argue with 'old wives'. 😉

As far as Sage, Smudgeing goes, this method works for may people... Sage seems to be a herb that helps to cleans and attract positive energy. There are crystals that can do this as well when placed around your home. You may even go as far as a using a Cleansing Method (I have one posted on my profile) to 'add to' the other things. If any of your experiences are paranormal... And negitive in nature then any of these methods will help. If not then you may continue to have experiences within your home.

Thanks for sharing, sorry I got sidetracked and please keep us posted.

Respectfully,

Rook
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-23)
Could we try to stay on the topic of Bretta's story? This is an interesting conversation, but has the potential to go on all day (and be interesting all day) so it might be best moved to one of your stories, Rook. That way Bretta doesn't get lost in the shuffle. 😊
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-23)
skepticsu,

Here is a theory for you then...

In the Begining there was the 'BIG BANG' and the ENERGY released from the BIG BANG developed inteligence... It actually became inteligent... From there it wondered what it could do... So it formed matter... Matter became planets, stars...ext...ext...

Our Religious and Scientific Beliefs do not have to oppose each other... Science is the study of HOW and WHY everything 'created' by this Inteligent Energy works.

Also consider that the 'creation' of things like planets, oceans and forests releases energy... Energy that possibly became intelligent... And now there are things like the 'Fey' or 'nature spirits'...then there is us... Our 'spirit/soul' is an inteligent energy... Without this 'inteligent energy' our body is a 'lifeless husk'...even works with animals.

Just a working theory of mine... And very much an abriviated version of it... But something to consider.

Respectfully,

Rook
skepticsu (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-23)
Rookdygin,
I totally agree. In fact I WANT to believe in existence of some sorts, it feels reassuring and imparts more meaning to life on Earth. I think its wonderful if there is in fact an afterlife and we are not just some chemical products with an expiry date:). Thanks for the wonderful insight, I have read your profile and most of your stories and they are amazing. I have no experience in the paranormal and I think I can do with some:D. Absolutely hooked to this website btw.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-23)
skepticsu,

The Link you provided is very interesting AND is the very reason many of the members here (including myself) suggest that any and all natural or medical conditions be ruled out before considering an experience as paranormal.

Having said that I find there are too many skeptics that suggest EVERYTHING MUST be explained by a natural or medical cause even when physical inspections and medical, mental check ups coupled with documented evidence suggest otherwise.

We can be blinded by our belief, our desire for an experience to be paranormal as easily as we can be blinded by our belief that there is no such thing as the paranormal. Each and every experience needs to be taken on a 'case by case' basis.

There is something else to consider... There is no 'solid ground' on which a paranormal researcher can stand and say just what a 'ghost, spirit or entity' actually is. Are they interdimensional? Are they intelligent electromagnetic energy? Are they physical beings that 'vibarate' at a fequency our eyes cannot see? The field has no experts, no proven theories and that just 'clouds' things all the more.

Anyway, thanks for the link.

Respectfully,

Rook
skepticsu (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-23)
Hi,
Please check this link:
Http://www.paranormalnewscentral.com/index.php/hauntings/related-topics/349-scientific-explanations-of-shadow-people

You will find similar articles on the net that tend to medically explain visions of shadow people. Looks like it is indeed very common to see shadow beings like the ones you have described. And the fact that you have been seeing these for about 15 years kind of indicates that it could be related to visual reactions of the brain, your brain being particularly prone to these.
About the circle of water: Do you mean a circular POOL of water or just wet bed sheet, the wetness having the shape of a circle?
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-20)
Hi Bretta,

Surround yourself with positives. Native Americans use sage as well as sweet grass for cleansing. I have also found Palo Santo (holy wood) to be helpful. Much of the cleansing is in your intent as you fill your space with the smoke from your burning incense or the oil and water spray. Remember to completely focus on moving negative out and filling your space with positives. Best of luck to you.
eltimur (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-19)
scary...I read an article almost same as yours, and its from korea and they say a person with an ability such as this knows how to talk or communicate with them (ghost etc.) are commonly have a bright aura they (ghost etc) attracted to your bright light, probably that's the reason why they don't stop. Try to communicate with them... Maybe there's a message they want to tell...
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-18)
Hi Bretta, sorry you're going through a hard time.

I agree with BJJ and also urge you to visit a sleep clinic. It doesn't matter if you don't have a sleep disorder. A sleep clinic can help you in the long run with anxiety.

Also are you eating properly?
I know from experience that skipping meals always leads to a restless night, not to mention anxiety. You'd be surprised what a balanced meal can do.

Also second Dragons Blood, sandalwood and sage. I use dragons blood a lot because for some reason it's easier to get a hold of than sage.

Try to take comfort in the fact that so far these shadow figures haven't lashed out at you in a threatening way. Despite your gut reaction, they haven't harmed you. That said, what your gut is telling you is very important. I honestly haven't a clue what these figures motives are and I won't speculate on that.

I'm glad you weren't threatened by the boy. However understandably scared, you are able to tell the difference between your own fear and an actual reason to feel fear.

I don't know anything about the area you mention, hopefully someone who knows something will come along.
I believe we're all sensitive to ghosts. Even the hardcore non believers, they're just better at denying it than the rest of us. 😉
You are obviously naturally sensitive and it's actually a good thing. Though you're experiencing a down side to it.
Do see a doctor about figuring out your sleeping habits. This will make everything sooo much easier to deal with. It will also sort the men from the boys in terms of what's real and what's imagined.
Keep us posted and take care.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-17)
When I've had trouble finding a sage bundle, I've substituted dragon's blood incense or sandalwood. The dragon's blood seems better (to me at least) than the sandalwood. You can also get sage essential oil, mix it with water in a mist bottle and spray the solution around. I've never tried using the sage from the spice section, I think it's a different type of sage than is used for cleansing. I would try an incense first, then move to essential oil if the incense doesn't seem to work for you.
Darkangel73 (4 stories) (127 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-17)
BadJuuJuu- I have a question about the smudging, I have been doing smudging recently because of some things I seen, My question is with sage does it have to be in stick form for it to work, I have some that was given to me and about to run out. Can I use the sage from the spices section and it be just effective? This is just until I can get some smudge sticks from somewhere in this State.
tdmeyer (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-17)
I agree with Badjuujuu I think sage works well and woud be benefical if you tried it. I'm sorry you are going through something so terrifying! Do you pray or anything of the sort that may help to, a lot of people swear praying helps.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+2
9 years ago (2015-04-17)
Some of this sounds, to me, as if it could be related to a sleep disorder. If at all possible, I would recommend getting a sleep study done as quickly as possible. It's easy to underestimate how important a decent night's sleep is to one's overall health.
I am not disregarding your experiences mind you. Paranormal problems and normal problems occur side by side. It's a question of figuring out what's being caused by a normal, mundane problem and what isn't. So, make sure that your physical health is fine and not causing you trouble. From there, it's a little easier to pinpoint a possible paranormal cause and deal with it accordingly.
Research into the property is always a good idea. It won't do anything to stop paranormal activity, but it might make the activity make more sense. It's always nice when things make sense.
As to the sage, I swear by it. I do regular smoke cleansings and it helps keep the energy clear and drive out negative energy. It's good to repeat any cleansing method you choose every so often. People who are sensitive attract all sorts of stuff, and regular cleansings will help to keep the unpleasant things out.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: