You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Photographs / Videos / EVP :: The People in the Mirror

Real Ghost Stories

The People in the Mirror

 

This story is the reason behind our name People in The Mirror. About two weeks ago in the new house I'm living in, in Temecula with my family, my 2 kids were asleep, my husband was at work, and my brother was at his Homecoming dance. I was, like I am right now, in my brother's room on the computer when I heard really loud heavy footsteps coming up the stairs and when they got to the top of the stairs I heard a slap, as if someone slapped their hand hard on the top of the banister.

I thought it was my Dad, it sounded as though he was mad, so I got up quickly to check and see what was wrong. When I went out into the hallway no one was there, so I looked in my Dad's room to find he wasn't there either. I looked through the banister downstairs where I could see my Dad passed out on the couch, so I checked on my kids and they were asleep as well. I searched the entire house and nobody had come home.

A week later I was talking to my friend Nicole, who is more like a sister, and I told her what had happened. She got pale and looked at me and told me that just a few days before when she was over, she was sitting on my bed and heard someone coming up the stairs. You can see the top of the stairs from my bed and she said she looked over, expecting to see me at the top of the stairs, only no one was there, a few seconds later she saw me coming up the stairs with a big basket of laundry and holding my 1 year old son's hand helping him up the stairs.... There was no way to explain the previous footsteps as I was walking up the stairs very slowly and the footsteps she heard were fast and yet no one was there. That got us talking about the experiences we both had in the Chula Vista house and realizing the only thing that connects the experiences now to the ones back then was the mirror.

We decided to go through some old pictures that were taken while I lived in the Chula Vista house. While going through the pictures we expected to find nothing, however that definitely wasn't the case. We found more than a few pictures that had what people call orbs, a couple photos that looks almost like a cord got in the way, but it was a disposable camera so there was no cord. There were 4 pictures that have the mirror in it, one picture we are writing off as streaks in the mirror... although you can make out faces in it... But the most shocking are the other three. One was taken at Christmas time; it looks as though there is a white faced, almost skull like, dark hooded thing in the mirror. There is no way anyone could have been standing there as with the lay out of the house and where the tree was placed they would have to have been standing on presents. We also would have been able to see more or their body because the wall was right there. The other two were taken at my baby shower when I was pregnant with my now 6 year old daughter. My husband and I were sitting in between the TV and fireplace, the fireplace that the mirror hung above. In the pictures we were opening gifts, and these two pictures were taken probably about 5 minutes apart, at slightly different angles.

Nicole was flipping through that set of pictures when she said, "oh hell no, tell me you don't see that." She handed me the album and was pointing out something she said looked like a face peering out the mirror. I looked and honestly only saw a reflection of a flash. She was saying over and over that the same face was in these two pictures and was completely freaked out by it.

The next day we took all the pictures down to Wal-Mart and had them scanned and put on disk to load them on the computer. Once I got home we loaded them onto the computer and while looking at these two zoomed in and sure enough clear as day I saw the face. While looking at these photos I was remembering back to that day while setting things up and cleaning a bit before the shower I was cleaning the mirror with windex and a paper towel. There was one area that seemed streaky to me on the right side of the mirror but no matter how much windex and rubbing I did it wouldn't come off and while I was trying to remove the streaks, I saw a face in the streaks. It creeped me out a little bit but it didn't scare me too much as I just told myself it was streaks and then they started to go away.

Now normally I would write the picture off to streaks, but the face of the man we see is in the bottom left side of the mirror and the pictures were taken at different angles and yet the face is still exactly the same. I can understand seeing a face in one, but at different angles there shouldn't be the same in the other picture.

Picture of Ghost 1
Picture of Ghost 2
Picture of Ghost 3
Picture of Ghost 4
Picture of Ghost 5
Picture of Ghost 6
Picture of Ghost 7
Picture of Ghost 8
Picture of Ghost 9
Picture of Ghost 10
Picture of Ghost 11
Picture of Ghost 12

I am posting the pictures with this story and feel free to find a logical explanation for them, that is the whole reason we are doing this, we are starting to research the Chula Vista house, the mirror and the land where the Chula Vista house was so anything you can do to disprove them or let us know anything you know about these things would be very helpful.

UPDATE 07-11-02

Many people are having trouble seeing what is in the mirror. I went to paint and outlined what I see. I'm not very good at that so it is not perfect, sorry. I am sending three pictures that I outlined. The picture where I am holding the blanket, there is a man looking out of the mirror. The other picture where I have my head turned the same man is peering out of the mirror. Both pictures were taken at slightly different angels. We had different gift in our hands so the pictures were taken at different times. So I don't see how I can see the same face in both pictures. My friend Nicole saw it first. In order for me to see it, at first, I had to zoom in on it. Now that I have seen the face, I can see it every time, no matter how big the picture is.

Picture of Skeleton 1
Picture of Skeleton 2
Picture of Skeleton 3

I showed them to everyone I know and they all see the same face. The third picture is the one that I can see a white face with a black hood. I was Christmas time so there was no one that would have been dressed up like that. Also you can see through it a little. If it were actually somebody you wouldn't be able to see through it. I hope you all can see the same thing so you know what I am talking about. If you see it I hope you will tell me what you think.

Other hauntings by peopleinthemirror

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, peopleinthemirror, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

lp2298 (23 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-04)
Sadly, I cannot authenticate this. The orbs are dust and without seeing the mirror in a plain picture without the face, I can't write off a streak, scratch, or break.
zekes_nightmare (6 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-03)
heyy. Most of your "orbs" do appear to be light reflecting off of dust particles or something like them. Using flash will do that. But as for the mirrors... O_o (and that's all I have to say)
Scarlett_Athena (3 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-06-22)
Pictures #10-12 looks to me like the camera strap got in the way...
manhunt (1 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-10-09)
I downloaded your mirror pictures and observed them by zooming in. Yes, to me it seems to be a white face with clear features. And it appears to be peeping into your room from the mirror.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-16)
An interesting aside- in the cord photo of the lady with the baby; it appears as if the cord has left a shadow of itself along the right side of the picture (lady's left side).
Wicked (1 stories) (16 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-09-26)
im late here but I definitely see the face. I hope you don't mind, but I saved the pic to my desktop and played with it a little (cropped it and made it bigger then circled the face in pink) and its most definitely there. If you'd like me to send you a copy of it redone I most certainly can. Very interesting pic! Thanks for sharing!
Mello27 (6 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-18)
The pictures are very interesting, but hard to see the face of the man in the mirror. I'm sure you've already done this but take a close look at the mirror itself, is there anythins on it or in the glass? I do see that you have lots of orbs that seem to always be focussed around the baby.
Thanks for sharing
hikari (7 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-18)
from some of the pictures you took, you got quite a few orbs there and that mean you do have something in that house. I can see there is something in the mirror but it's quite hard for me to figure out the what the face looks like.

thank you for sharing the story.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-03-15)
I see many orbs, but no face in the mirrors. The streak down some of the pics though are very interesting however.
FRAWIN (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2007-12-21)
Peopleinthemirror, I could see a face in one of them but it could be just a case of matrixing. Of course it`s not a matter of what we see or believe, it`s what you believe. If you see paranormal activity, investigate it and satisfy your own mind. God speed.

FRAWIN 😊
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2007-12-21)
I am sorry, I do not see anything in the mirror photo's either. Unfortunately orbs are easily explained away (though I do have a photo with an orb in it that I like to think is my father-in-law) and are hard to prove as paranormal.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-04)
I haven't read all the comments but from what I can see and from using my photosofware I can clearly make out a cord or hair in the one picture and fingers in the other. This happens in a process where the camera takes a foreground object and blends it with the background creating an optical illusion. Mirrors are notoriously known for defects in material that can lead to distortions that cause light to bend at odd angles creating illusions. Thanks for the story TPitM

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Renee (4 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-04)
I live in Temecula as well! Your pictures are pretty creepy. Where abouts in Temecula do you live? I have a few scary incidents as well, which I will be posting soon.
Annie (202 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-03)
I'm sorry, but I still don't see anything. Maybe I need a new pair of spec's. ;)
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
16 years ago (2007-11-02)
This story was just updated with new pictures and comments from the author.
Emma (3 stories) (39 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-26)
I saw a program on TV that explained that "Face on Mars" which turned out to be nothing more than a mountain range with an interesting shadow cast upon it to look very much like a human face. As humans, we automatically find faces in pictures. For example, two holes there could be eyes, something here can be a nose, and this can be the mouth. If I look long enough at the mirror, maybe I will see a face, because that is what my brain will force me to do. My advice is not to look too deep into certain things. Perhaps what you think you see in the mirror is not the answer to what is causing the footsteps on your stairs.
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-26)
Seriously, guys, these chords warrant intense further investigation. I will tear youtube.com up today looking for the program I saw them in.

Now listen closely: I saw these exact same patterns in other pictures. Not similar--EXACT. What's more, they were always around a child in the family. These aspects are too congruent to be ignored.

This is a pattern and must be submitted as empirical evidence. Let's not forget this one! We're onto something...
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-25)
Wow nice story and good pictures. I say that I couldn't see the skull but some of them are very strange. Shane knows a lot about pictures and knows how to explain some differences but let us hope that he reads this. I am sure he will tell you what he knows. See you soon and take care
peopleinthemirror (6 stories) (4 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-24)
thank you all for your comments. In order to see what is in the mirror you would have to save them and enlarge them. Thanks for the information on the cords, we were very unsure of what they were.
Annie (202 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-24)
I have to agree with everyone else, Mirror. I don't see anything in the mirror pictures that resemble a skull or a face. I wish they were bigger, and more focused on the mirror. Sorry. The cords are interesting, though. Maybe you should focus your attention on those shots. And, as Ohiowatha stated: It could be a guardian looking over them. Cute kids, by the way! 😁
Martin (602 posts) mod
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-24)
Ohiowatha, I am also the skeptical type in regards to orbs, weird little reflections that takes you 10 minutes to find and patterns on material easily interpreted differently by anyone, etc, because this stuff can also be found on normal pictures with no paranormal activity. I usually go with the Occam's razor principle (the simpler the explanation, the more likely it is the real one). But yeah, those bright, smoky, cords are very interesting in this case.
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-24)
Yo, seriously, I can't get enough of the cords. Your daughter is "fey..."

Martin, Abby, Kim, I gotta know what you think about these.

HEAVY!
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-24)
Dear Mirror,

I gotta admit, I don't see anything in the mirrors at all. Mirrors are difficult because they could be reflecting just about ANYthing that isn't showing up in the frame. I certainly don't see anything resembling a hooded skull. I see an oreo cookie or a man's shoulder, but it's quite a stretch to see the "Scream" killer or Grim Reaper in the mirror.

It also appears that your "orbs" are mere light refrations from glass or dust particles. Nothing really convincing there, either, and I'm really trying to see.

HOWEVER, your "cords" are something to be alarmed about. This is not the first time I have seen those EXACT same sort of translucent, ribbed, white, flowing cords streaking through pictures. I recently saw a special on ghosts where a child seemed to be connected to something other-worldly. In half the pictures taken of the child, these cords were not only there, but prevalent and taking up much of the frame as yours do. I am a skeptical guy, but I am not skeptical about this. In the TV program I saw, these cords (which almost look like snake skeletons or something) were always around this baby. Perhaps your children have guardians around them, or something.

At any rate, I totally believe there is something more to these "cord" photos. They seem to show up in pictures of your baby. Please take some more of the baby and see what happens.

I'm entranced! Thanks SO much and I will try to track down that program I saw, as well.
peopleinthemirror (6 stories) (4 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-24)
Your explination of the pictures are all things we have discussed and said in our story. These are 10 pictures taken in 3 different houses, and on different occasions with 2 different disposable cameras. There were no cords attatched to the cameras and where it looks like a finger, you can see right through it. What gets me is that through the many other pictures, there were no reflections like these and no other orbs. So if you can come up with an explanation we haven't already thought of and come to the conclusion that 3 of the face pictures for sure there are no explinations for then by all means please do. We are looking for an explination other than the ones we have thought of and put in our story, which I'm sorry you would have known if you had read and not just put the same thing in your comment. Thanks.
Excaliburhope (2 stories) (8 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-24)
Look, I have seen ghosts before and taken spirit photos, but I think that those reflectiosn the mirror are created by light refraction on the surface of the mirror because it may not be completely smooth, or it may be a reflection of light from various angles hitting the mirror, especially is this was done using a flash camera. As for the white lines on the picture, it looks as though someone put a cord in front of the picture, in one pic it even looks like some is holding a cord in front of the pic. The orb looks as though light leaked into your camera lens. Sorry to disappoint you but all of your photos look explainable. Thank you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: