You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: The Final Goodbye

Real Ghost Stories

The Final Goodbye

 

This was my father's experience. I have no personal experience in paranormal sightings and am more of a skeptic (hence the username). But, even though I have studied science and work in Information Technology, and somehow come up with explanations for most things, I kind of want to believe in the existence of souls. This is kind of personal. I lost both of my parents some 4 years back, in a span of 6 months. A part of me wants to believe that they still exist somewhere and are capable of watching me. I would love to get a sign from them.

Now the story. So my father had a few stories to tell. Earlier I was never that much interested in the stories, though I found them intriguing. This happened when he was in his 40s I guess.

So he was an auditor and would usually be rather busy with his projects. At one time, one of his elder colleagues got hospitalized and my dad was not finding time to visit him. Finally he made it to the hospital one day, but was late and the visiting hours were over. He inquired at the reception if he could still visit and they declined. Now he was really keen on visiting since he might not find time the next day. So in his desperation he asked a passer by for the directions and started climbing up the stairs. The people at the reception were still asking him not to go up to the room. But dad said, he will simply wave from outside and will come back immediately. While saying this he raced up the stairs.

He reached the room, the curtain was not pulled. He saw his colleague and waved at him. His colleague smiled and waved back. After this dad turned and climbed down the stairs.

When he reached the reception, the people there seemed obviously unhappy. They were expressing discontent saying they were trying to warn him. They said that they were trying to stop him because he won't find anybody in that room. The man my dad wanted to meet had passed away that afternoon.

My father believed that this was his colleague's final goodbye to him. He was really close to this colleague and spent a lot of time together.

My logical brain never found an explanation for this, other than hallucination. But the situation was normal and his health was perfectly fine. Would love to hear feedback on this one.

Other hauntings by skepticsu

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, skepticsu, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

SAYURI (1 stories) (15 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-17)
It's my firm conviction that ghosts are spirits of dead people who have unfinished business and which they want despairetly to finish. An example of this is that story you have told.
ladymoira (3 stories) (30 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-27)
Something quite similar happened to my dad, you can read about it on my profile if you want. Personally I think its their way of saying goodbye to people they care about/ people that care about them.
I also had my mum's older sister and brothers call me their mother because I supposedly look, act and walk like her. My guess is that they would grab onto anything that reminds them of their mum (my grandmother). And I can understand that... Afterall its always hard to lose someone you love. Just as long as they don't take it to whole new level. Stay safe!
skepticsu (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-27)
Tweed and hecate0,
Hey don't worry, I don't believe in that at all! It just appeared strange! We had got it checked, and the doc said it can be some contact allergy. She is quite prone to skin allergies. Yes I completely avoid these rebirth conversations. And good thing we don't meet them often. Anyhow it rarely crosses my mind these days. Just remembered from the conversations. Thanks for the inputs.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-26)
I too would look for other signs. A genetic link perhaps (not a dangerous one necessarily) but something significant about that area of the body which has been passed to your daughter from your mothers side of the family. A glitch in the DNA programing somewhere along the line. If I were you I'd keep an eye on your daughter's leg for any signs of change to be on the safe side.

My own personal opinion/belief on reincarnation is that it's optional and a choice.
I understand how some of your relatives have come to the conclusion that your mother is your daughter and the grief this helps.
That said, this statement would quietly drive me a little nuts. Just for the sake of your child give her plenty of room to develop her own personality and please don't let anyone project their own wants/grief onto her.
I witnessed a similar thing with a family member and her child. It seemed very sad that this mother was projecting her beloved in law onto her newborn. It actually made me feel ill.
I believe in reincarnation but I ain't a big fan of it.

Well anyway, let children be whoever they want to be.
Take care. 😊
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-26)
Skepticsu (sorry for misspelling earlier) I just don't think your Mom would have done something that would hurt your daughter. Or do you think she would have to do something big to get you to notice? Tough call. I would look for other signs.
skepticsu (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-26)
Hecate0 & Tweed: Your comments made me think of a small incident with no apparent significance but if seen with believe might come across as a sign? This is about my mom. She had a fatal cancer that started with a swelling in her leg. My daughter was born after almost 2 years of her death. When she was around 2-3 months we noticed this small area on her leg, that was slightly darker in tone, something like a birth mark. It was kind of sensitive and would turn reddish if touched with mild pressure. I remember being shocked at the shape and position of that patch, it was EXACTLY where my mom's cancer had started and was of a very similar shape. It was creepy how similar they were!

I think my husband noticed the same, but we both didn't mention anything or discuss about it. My husband is a complete non-believer. But I know, he was shocked too. The mark stayed for a very small period, like couple of weeks and disappeared on its own. If anything, that certainly reminded me of my mom and was indeed a strange coincidence.

On top of it, my aunt (my mom's sister) keeps saying that my daughter is my mom born again. My mom's family strongly believes in the afterlife, so they tend to interpret along that line. I know it makes them feel better about my mom's death. I think this also played a role in how we interpreted that mark.

Whoa that was long! Sorry!:)
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-25)
Scepticsu, I agree with Tweed that we only do what feels comfortable. To "make themselves known in a way specific to them and the life they lived" is perfect. My Dad and I already had a conversation about the afterlife before he died. My first story here, He is Always With Me is about that. I wonder if your parents helped lead you to this site... Hmmmm.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-25)
Skepticsu this is a wonderful story and experience for your dad and his friend. I've no doubt they are kicking back in the hereafter and no doubt your dad still looks after you in his own way. 😊

I'd like to suggest to you that believing isn't something to force. So just go with the flow. If the paranormal world doesn't feel right to you, or you feel at home with just an openness to ghosts then this is fine. You don't have to become a full on believer if the shoe doesn't fit. Your dad will understand, I'm sure.
The fact that you express an openness to the existence of ghosts will probably make your dad more comfortable with giving you some kind of sign at some stage.
In all the experiences I've read like yours passed over loved ones always find a way to make themselves known in a way that is specific to them and the life they lived. I'm sure your dad will find the perfect sign for you at some stage.
skepticsu (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-25)
Thanks for your comments. Weekend is here, so my 2.5 year old daughter won't let me reply:D!
Hecate0: My dad did have quite a few experiences which leads me to believe that he was kind of "sensitive" and open to such experiences. And yes, he completely believed what he saw. He had no confusion or doubt! So wonderful that you get signs from your dad. I wish someday I can too. I will submit more experiences from him and a couple by my mom.

SDS: Yes, I do believe that. And of course that's a belief that gives strength. I think I have read the story your talking about.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-25)
Hi skepticsu, thanks for sharing this experience. You may be skeptic but you do believe that your parents are somewhere to bless you right. That is belief. But, loved ones, friends, when they pass on, they still exhibit their love and affection and in one of my stories, I explained what my father experienced when my mother died.

Welcome to YGS.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-24)
It is heartwarming to hear when someone's positive feelings for someone lead them to linger for a goodbye. It sounds like your father told this story believing it. Was he open to ghosts and such? I also study science, but my experience since childhood has led me to be very open to ghosts and psychic things. This is so much about our experience. Ask for a sign from your parents. My dad is still with me some 21 years later. Whenever I find myself in a bind, all of a sudden I realize I am humming his favorite song, one way he let's me know he is near. Ask for a very specific thing that will let you know it is him. If he can pull it off, he will do it. Best to you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: