You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Presence

Real Ghost Stories

Presence

 

I am 35 years old, raised in the south island of New Zealand born and bred there. I moved to the lower east coast city Dunedin in 1998, and moved into the affected house about a year later, in with a new girlfriend who owned the house. Almost immediately she told me after a couple of nights about this "ghost" that was very active in the house to which I was very sceptical.

The first time I acknowledged the possibility of this we were sleeping then I woke, feeling an icy chill on my face and the room was so quiet, almost muted silence. It was at this point that I began to hear movement coming from the hallway. The door was shut but I distinctively am hearing walking and shuffling noises. I woke her, and she said to me "can you hear it?". Any way this "Thing" walked all night every night for almost a year. Then the most strange thing happened, the movement went up into the ceiling. And the result was that the walking would start in one area and walk a few steps, then it would move to another area and start all over again. And the ceiling "walking" was the same as if I was walking around in the ceiling.

Soon the noises changed again to the sound of a ticking clock, like the old school alarm clocks with the bells on top. And it would move in mid air and stop and start if I asked it too. Yes I tried to communicate to some degree with it, as it seemed to follow me all around the house. The bedroom, bathroom, laundry, lounge and kitchen. Everywhere I went inside the house, if I was alone and it was quiet I could get a reaction from this presence. It didn't feel negative or evil, it just felt lonely.

Soon we got another flatmate but we did not tell him about it at the start. One day he came to us and said "There is something up with this house, I can't concentrate on my studies and I feel like there is something here". He was very careful not to speculate, but my girlfriend told him. His reaction was to call a person in christchurch, who was a "cleanser" or spiritual person in some regard. The person told him that he would cleanse the house, and that all three of us in the house had what he considered "entities" attached to us. Many, he said. In particular he said that I in particular had more than a half dozen. I wasn't sure how to take this information but, overnight everything stopped dead. All the noise, all the static and clock sounds, the shuffling. And it never came back. It was quite sad.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Zealand

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Davetje, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2016-06-02)
dharla9 - we strongly discourage anyone revealing an address. If an address is posted, it will be deleted.
dharla9 (1 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-06-02)
any chance of an address?
I'm currently researching haunted houses of dundedin... Your help would be greatly appreciated
saher (4 stories) (52 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-12)
Hi Davetje,

Seems like some good spirit as it did not harm anyone of you. But still, its good that you had a cleansing done. It should be something with the history of the house. God bless 😊
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-05-11)
Davetje- As lady-glow mentioned one can hope they are in a better place now. I understand the feeling of losing a friend however, one has to wonder if "we" keep entities from going where they should. Our selfishness might some how bind them to our world? Our need to continually have contact with the paranormal...oh, here I go again rambling. Sorry, I do that a lot. But, maybe you or someone will understand what I was headed for.

Thanks for sharing 😁
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-09)
I hope all those 'entities' are in a better place now.
Thanks for sharing your experience and welcome to YGS.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-05-09)
Davetje, I let out an 'awwwe' when I got to the end. If you want to you could always try to talk with 'them' again. But DON'T bring them back into that house, if you still visit it. Because that would be rude. If your housemates still live there and don't want them there, then respect that.
If you felt saddened by their sudden absence then they probably weren't bad news. Just lonely, like you said.
Your story reminded me of something that happened to a friend of the family many years ago. She heard footsteps on her roof a lot. Eventually she saw what was making them and she wasn't scared either. Nothing bad ever happened.
Just goes to show our gut feelings really do us proud.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: