You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Family House

Real Ghost Stories

The Family House

 

I don't know why this is but in my life I've noticed that there are some people who have many paranormal experiences and there are some who never experience anything unusual at all. I'm one of those people who has experienced many strange things and this is just one account of many.

My grandparents had moved to Iowa for my grandfather's job years ago when I was a little kid (I'm 31 now) and my parents moved into their house in Michigan to keep up on it for them and take care of it while they were away. I was about 14 when we moved in. The house is old but well kept and it holds a lot of our family history. My great-grandfather and grandmother came to the United States from the old country of Prussia (which no longer exists) and they settled in that house back in the early 40's. They both died there as well.

My great grandmother's sister Frieda was a black witch from the old country who was married to a thirty-third degree Masonic Priest. They used to do strange things back in the woods behind the house. Frieda hated my grandmother because she was a good person who believed in God and my great-grandfather used to tell my dad when he was a child that there were two black books in the world and that he should always remember to stick to the right one.

Anyway, while living there things would disappear all the time and turn up in strange places that you would never think to look for them. When I was sixteen I slept with my mother because I was terrified to sleep in my bedroom. I used to wake up in the middle of the night and feel like something was lying on top of me and I couldn't move. It wasn't lucid dreaming or anything like that. This sensation of spiritual smothering would only go away after I whispered the name "Jesus" which wasn't easy and it took ALL of my strength and energy to finally speak his name out loud. It was completely terrifying.

There would be noises coming from upstairs like somebody was tearing the entire second floor apart - like dressers being tipped over, bookshelves crashing to the ground and banging on the walls; however, when, I would go up there to check it out there was not one thing out of place.

Eventually my boyfriend and I became pregnant and we stayed there for a few months after our daughter was born to save some money and get ahead.

One afternoon in the middle of July my daughter and I were home alone and I was giving her a bottle and she was getting ready to take a nap. I was rocking her in the lazy boy chair next to the hallway and we were watching television when all of a sudden there was a huge burst of cold air blowing right on us coming from the direction of the hallway. We didn't have air conditioning at the time and it felt like there was an air conditioner on full blast right next to us. It was literally FREEZING.

I was terrified. I stopped rocking the chair and looked straight ahead because I was too frightened to look towards the hallway. I was hoping this thing (whatever it was) would go away but it didn't. I sat in that chair for maybe five good minutes, too scared to move. Finally, realizing that this thing wasn't going anywhere I turned my head very slowly to the right and I saw something floating slowly across the hallway in long black robes about a foot off the floor. It floated right through my parents' closed bedroom door. I ran to the hallway and opened the door only to find the curtains fluttering around the window.

I was so terrified that I ran outside with my daughter and stayed out there for three hours until my boyfriend got home from work. I had experienced many terrifying things in that house, but I had never seen anything.

My grandparents are back in Michigan now and are living in the house again. I have been over there many times but I have never had any kind of paranormal experience in that house since they've been back.

I've experienced many strange things in my life but from personal experience I can tell you that having things disappear or hearing strange things is scary- but there's nothing as horrifying as actually SEEING a ghost! And honestly- that's the only time in my life that I've ever seen one!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Trischa_D, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Serenflipppity (guest)
-1
6 years ago (2018-04-06)
Bwaahahaha and then there was silence! It would seem everyone's concerned about proper grammar usage now. While this story is 'old', I'll definitely be looking out for Biblio ^.^
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+3
9 years ago (2015-05-25)
Good gracious!

I get better-articulated arguments from my Freshmen than the sad squabbling at the end of this post. Claiming "I THOUGHT" is not enough; thinking entails a rational understanding of the potential for others to react to provocation or for there to be a miscommunication which can be resolved. Zephyrin's initial reaction -not wanting to offend- was the correct response; her later statement about being frightened to contribute IS a point of concern.

The guidelines for posting comments are easily accessible via the link in the short paragraph which appears before the comments (http://www.yourghoststories.com/comments-guidelines.php). Each guideline is very clear and is accompanied by reasons to explain its purpose. There do need to be clear perameters for conversation, or this would be an all-out free-for-all (a bit like bringing your clay-pidgeon shotgun to a round of golf... Sure, you can take out the competitors' golfballs from 50 yards, but the greenskeepers and the other golfers are not going to be happy you're violating the rules of the sport).

BJJ is a patient and compassionate moderator who tries to maintain civility of discourse on each thread on this site; please do not mistake a deleted comment or a written correction for a severe reprimand. Whatever Zephyrin's original comment had been about Freemasonry, if BJJ deleted it there's a very good chance it would have provoked angry responses from many others. All that has happened is that Zephyrin has been spared angry counter-arguments and Trischa_D seems to have become upset instead. As a legal immigrant to the U.S., I was under the impression that "Freedom of Speech" was covered by the First Ammendment to the Constitution; when did the entire government of this country begin to object to reasonably-articulated words?
Just curious.
-Biblio.

By the way, there are a few errors on the guidelines: in rule 9, the statement '"this is not an english class",' should be "not an English class," with both a capital E and the comma included within the quotation marks; rule 15 states "Each one of them are different..." which is incorrect, as the subject "one" is singular, the object of the preposition 'of' is 'them' -which clarifies where 'one' originated- forming an adjectival phrase, so the verb "are" needs to be replaced with 'is' to conform to the subject-verb agreement required by the standard rules of English grammar; and the introductory sentence "Authors of a story generally appreciate..." implying that several people write each narrative, whereas "Authors generally appreciate" is more concise and reflects the intention of the rules. I know, it's a 3-day weekend, and I'm taking a break from grading essays by reading and correcting grammar on this site!
Trischa_D (guest)
-3
9 years ago (2015-05-22)
Talk about afraid to speak lol. Don't be afraid to speak zeph, I THOUGHT this was a cool site but I'm already done. I THOUGHT, YOU SEE. We're obviously not allowed to think here. I'm out. Peace.
Trischa_D (guest)
-2
9 years ago (2015-05-22)
Wow. This site is bunk. I didn't realize they ran it like the government. I thought we were all supposed to be free thinkers here.
Zephyrin (4 stories) (19 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-22)
I don't understand what was wrong with the story I told, it was my dad who told it to me, and it really did happen to him. But if it seemed like an urban legend to you, than I'm sorry. I'm frightened speak now.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-22)
We're calm, but we'd really appreciate it if you'd give the guidelines a read and be more respectful in the future.
Zephyrin (4 stories) (19 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-22)
Whoops, didn't mean to befuddle or piss off anybody. Like I said, I have a mason in my family too. I was just sharing my view of that subject. I didn't realize it was so touchy. Everybody calm down, LOL.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-05-22)
Zephyrin - umm...yeah. There are probably over 10, 000 members on this site (I'm guessing because I haven't seen the number in awhile). And I am positive there are many members who are Masons and members who have family who are/were Masons. I'm sure you've just pissed everyone of them off.

This is not a conspiracy theory site. So unless you have documented proof, or were there to witness it first-hand, do not repeat stuff like that. This can cause all sorts of hard feelings and arguments on our site. We've been there before and we aren't doing it again. Therefore, your comment has been deleted but the advice stands.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-22)
Zephyrin...I'm at a loss here. Really, seriously befuddled.
We aren't here to spread rumors, urban legends, or conspiracy theories about Masons or anyone else.
Trischa_D (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-22)
Hi Lady-glow:) Thanks for the kind words:)

As far as I know neither of my grandparents have ever seen anything in that house-which I find rather odd, but maybe it's because Frieda (the black witch) was my grandfather's aunt and because of that she might leave them alone. Years ago when I asked about Frieda (because of all the experiences I'd had in the house) my grandmother told me that there was never anybody in the family by that name. My grandfather on the other hand, told me that he didn't think it was her and that he had never noticed anything weird in the house. I think I'm the only one who's seen the black-robed figure, but two of my uncles have seen a black-purple mass out in the woods when they were hunting back there. One of my uncles said that when he was coming off the trail heading up to the house it "zoomed" at him like it was chasing him!
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-21)
Very interesting and frightening experience, and very well told.

Do you know if your grandparents ever saw this floating figure in their house or if they have had any other paranormal experience in there?

I'm looking forward to read more of your stories.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: