You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Sleeping Apparition

Real Ghost Stories

The Sleeping Apparition

 

I have reviewed this experience repeatedly in my mind since it happened about fourteen years ago. I haven't told many people, not that it's anything to be embarrassed about, but I feel comfortable sharing it online anomalously. I know what I saw and I know for sure I was not dreaming the experience. The only thing I wonder is if it were a trick of the eyes. I am also slightly disturbed by the way I reacted to it, not at all how I would expect one to react when seeing an apparition in the way I saw one.

My family lived in Okinawa at the time, Kadena Air Force Base in case you were wondering. The houses we lived in were concrete bunkers that could withstand the typhoons that came fairly frequently over the island. The word "bunker" might make them sound like terrible homes, but they were actually pretty nice to live in.

My bedroom was shared with my brother and we slept in bunk beds, me on the bottom and him on the top. I was always a light sleeper and had a history of being frightened in the night for no good reason and crawling in bed with my parents when I was younger. As I recall, I was over that phase in my childhood at this point.

One night at some ungodly hour I was awakened to see a boy suspended in the small space between me and the bottom of the top bunk. The boy was completely motionless, like a still picture, with his eyes closed and arms outstretched. This is what I am disturbed most about in the story. I didn't make a noise. I didn't scream, or even get out of bed. I was simply confused. I reached out and, and to this day I wonder why I did this, tried to touch the boy to see if he were real. When my hand reached him he vanished in the most peculiar way. I will attempt to describe the way by which the boy disappeared.

There are images that can be found in books and online that are designed to trick the brain. If viewed in a particular way the viewer will perceive a three-dimensional image. For many it is difficult to achieve this. After seeing the projected image, when one tries to move a hand through it, the illusion is broken and the eyes focus past into the pattern on the page. The three-dimensional projection seems to blend back into the page. I am not saying what I saw was an illusion of some sort, but that is exactly what happened when I tried to touch him. His image seemed to blend back into the bottom of the top bunk and he was gone.

Afterwards I went right back to sleep. How I was able to sleep after that, I have no earthly idea. I didn't tell my parents but I told my brother. He didn't take it seriously at all, he even joked that it was actually him and that he was doing push-ups over me at night.

To clear some possible curiosity, I am not certain what race the boy was. He may have been Okinawan and some victim of the war. I think it is possible that he was an American boy who had died in that same room in his sleep. It is also possible that he was a victim of a Habu snake bite which can be lethal. Habus are common in that area.

Some years later back in the United States I had another similar experience. I may post it later.

Other hauntings by Claust

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Claust, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Claust (4 stories) (8 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-31)
RedWolf,
Great tips! Too bad I didn't see that earlier. I submitted the rest of my experiences so there should be 3 new stories of mine coming soon. Those are all the experiences I've had in my life.
Thanks,
Claust
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-30)
Claust
Submit both stories in one submission spaced apart. For example story 1 admit it might be a dream. Then go down a few spaces and say story 2. Sometimes it is hard to get one story on here because of volume of stories. Best to write on your computers notebook so you can copy and paste when there are openings
This story is fascinating and I'm quite sure your other stories will be as well.
Regards
Red
Claust (4 stories) (8 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-28)
BrokenTree,
He was facing me with his eyes closed just suspended there like a still picture.
I can't recall exactly what he looked like, although I feel I would have been struck to realize he looked like me. You have a theory I assume?
BrokenTree (76 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-24)
Claust
Was the boy facing away from you? Did he even remotely look like you?
Claust (4 stories) (8 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-23)
LoveOfAbundance, that is an interesting possibility! I didn't think of that. The other experience though happened exactly the same, and it did not seem to be a victim of drowning.
BadJuuJuu, you are probably right. I have an experience that I might not share on here because it was most likely a dream, but what I felt was not even close to curiosity but pure terror. I will share the other story that fits more closely to this story because it was more vivid and real. I should do it soon.
Thanks for your responses!
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-22)
I don't know what it is about base housing, but there seem to be ghost stories in every one. The stories are always fascinating, too. 😊
Your reaction to the boy is interesting, not many people react with curiosity to seeing something that strange. I think he was harmless, otherwise your instinctive response would have been very different.
I would like to read about the other experience you mentioned, if you decide to submit it.
LoveOfAbundance (2 stories) (27 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-20)
That was a fascinating story. Do you think the boy could have been a drowning victim and that you were seeing him as if you were underwater and his body was floating on top? This could also explain the way his image seemed to melt away as you put your hand up.

Whatever the reason, it is certainly an unusual account. Thank you for sharing!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: