You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Audible Laugh

Real Ghost Stories

Audible Laugh

 

So, I'm now 20 years old and am currently living with my parents in the house I grew up in since I was about 5. There was supposedly an old man who died of a heart attack in the crawl space. That's about all the past info I know of the house. Our address happens to be 1408, which is kind of just a creepy coincidence. However, none of this really has anything to do with the story. We've had ghostly experiences in the past but the one I'm about to tell was my most recent and by far the most horrifying and shocking one for me.

I was laying in bed, I remember it was between 2-3 am but not quite 3 yet (I'm a firm believer of the deadtime and usually acknowledge it when it's past 3 am). I was laying in bed, I had just turned off the TV to try to sleep. I was laying on my back with my arms stretched to the side (a very unusual sleeping position for me) because my back had been hurting and I wanted to try to stretch out a bit.

Anyway, my big fat cat, Jack, just jumped off my bed and sat by a chair near the foot of my bed. He was excessively grooming himself making grunting/snorting noises as he always does. He stopped for maybe 5 minutes and all that was on my mind was "thank god he finally shut up".

I continued laying on my back with my arms stretched out, actually feeling like I may fall asleep in what is usually an uncomfortable position for me. When, directly to my right, I hear a laugh clear as day "Ha Ha Ha". It sounded like a middle aged man sarcastically laughing at something. My heart immediately began racing as I felt very uneasy, like someone was standing in my pitch black room.

I slowly turn into my left side and pull a pillow over my head, still feeling like something or someone is just standing over me. I flip back over and look, nothing is there.

The whole time in my mind I was trying to believe that my cat had somehow made such a human sounding laugh. Right then he made his usual snort from licking himself. Nowhere near the same noise as the clear as day "hahaha" I had heard from what sounded like 5 feet away.

The laugh didn't sound like one that had laughed at a joke someone told. Or like a laugh in which something funny had occurred. It sounded like a condescending laugh. A laugh that was directed at me.

Like I was a joke; just laying there motionless with my arms spread out wide.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, KVanPay, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AnswerzInTheDark (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-13)
Wow, that was quite creepy! I have heard a laugh like that as well. It was Halloween, funny enough, and growing up, I had never been allowed to partake in the holiday. This was the first year that I had, and I was with a friend of mine. It was around midnight or later and we were on the second story of an old barn on his property which was in a wooded area. It was pitch black outside, we had the barn doors open, and we were telling scary stories regarding paranormal things we had experienced in the past. We had our guitars with us as well, and the amplifiers were on next to us although we were not playing at the moment. Just then, exactly as you had described, we heard a short condescending laugh come from the speaker. There were no sounds except that laugh, and then silence. I understand that amplifiers can pick up radio signals... But this was clear as day a laugh that felt directed at us, and I felt that it was amused by the fear that we were already experiencing from recalling our old stories. Reading your story gave me goosebumps as it reminded me of that experience. I wonder what would cause a spirit or entity to feel the need to make itself known in those instances. I wonder, is this a common paranormal occurrence?
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-13)
Miracles,

That though crossed my mind as well... But you never know... I have never seen that movie.

Respectfully,

Rook
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-06-13)
rook - I thought they were referring to the movie "1408" with John Cusack and Samuel L. Jackson 😕
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-13)
1408 a creepy coincidence?

Humm Let's see what happens when we apply numerology to this 'coincidence...

1= Masculine. Unity, beginnings, God, creative, symbol of physical and mental activity.

4= Feminine. Represents 4 seasons, 4 elements, 4 directions, 4 sides to a cube. They are stable, rigid, sure-footed, determined to reach their goals in a straight line.

0= (Has no menaing)

8= Feminine. This is the number of material matters and practicality.

Now if those do not mean anything to you let's break down the entire number...

1408= 1+4+0+8= 13= 1+3= 4 (There are only 2 numbers higher than 9 in Numerology they are 11 and 22...)

So 4, well that means...

Feminine. Represents 4 seasons, 4 elements, 4 directions, 4 sides to a cube. They are stable, rigid, sure-footed, determined to reach their goals in a straight line.

Now NONE of that seems to apply to your experience (at least not directly) but I thought I would share that break down with you because you mentioned...

"Our address happens to be 1408, which is kind of just a creepy coincidence."

Respectfully,

Rook
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-13)
I too wonder why 1408 is a creepy coincidence. In military time that would be 14 hundred 8 hours hours in civilian time it would be 2:08 P.M. What's so creepy about that?
If you had a spirit in the room your cat would have hissed or yowled and ran out of the room. Animals are so very sensitive to spirit activity. Is it possible that you had just fallen asleep and dreamed the laugh?
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-06-09)
I didn't understand your reference to your address being a 'creepy coincidence' because a man supposedly died in the crawl space.
I did have a bit of a giggle over you thinking "thank god he finally shut up" when Jack paused in grooming himself, because I quite often have that thought about my cat. Cats can make a lot of weird sounds, but I think you'd be able to tell the difference between Jack and a 'human'. Have you heard the laugh since?
LoveOfAbundance (2 stories) (27 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-09)
That is an eerie story. Do you have any more information on the man who died in the crawlspace?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: