You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: A Ghost Dog?

Real Ghost Stories

A Ghost Dog?

 

So last time I wrote here I explained about my church experience. After that specific experience I encountered more and more paranormal events. Whether the camp opened up my eyes or opened me up to something else, I don't know. Luckily none of the events have been malicious or as scary as the first, but they certainly have been interesting.

In my previous story I wrote how I never had any run ins with anything despite my fascination until I was 14 years old, and while thinking of the wording for my next story I was hit with the memory of seeing shadows when I was younger, in my childhood house. I used to see dark shadows in the corners of my eyes. I could never look at them directly, but if I stared in the same direction without moving they would sometimes completely block my view (and as soon as I blinked they would disappear for a second and then return in the corner of my eyes). It never bothered me as a child, as I didn't know any better, but now I'm not sure what they were?

That was in my childhood house. When my parents got divorced, my father moved several towns away and we moved closer to other family. There were incidents in both houses, but I will start with the one at my father's house:

We would visit my father every second weekend and when we were at his house we went to the church (and I to the Youth Group) that I had my Church Camp experience with. We stopped going there after that weekend. My father and step mom were reborn Christians, staunchly so, and she always swore that she saw angels and spirits in the house. That wasn't entirely comforting as a 14 year old, but I didn't let my imagination run away with me. One weekend I was there, I was walking down the stairs from my room. The stairs were "L" shaped, and I was looking at a painting on the wall by the bend of the stairs when out the bottom of my eye, I saw our one dog trot down the stairs past me. My jeans has even moved where she brushed past me. I wasn't looking at her directly but greeted her. The side door was close to the stairs so when she wasn't at the bottom by the time I got there, I assumed she had run outside already.

The day went by and I was helping my father prepare supper. I was sitting by the breakfast nook cutting meat when again I saw and felt our dog run past me again, heading towards the garage passage. I bent down to greet her and try give her a pat before she disappeared but she wasn't there. My father asked me who was I talking to and I told him, and he explained to me that our dog was outside having her dinner. To this day I don't know what it was I actually saw, but I KNOW that there was something. That was the only experience I personally had at his house, although in their new house they do have a resident ghost (who I have never seen). Any thoughts?

Other hauntings by LuSA

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, LuSA, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

A-Demon-Terroriser (3 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-06-27)
Greetings from a fellow South African...

If you want a completely alternative perspective...

According to our experience (by "our" I mean Muslims) generally entities take the form of dogs, although they can take practically any form; like shapeshifters. And generally entities like to enter our homes in order to live in it because it's a better life.
And generally these entities will leave no stone unturned to ensure they aren't kicked out - by hook or by crook, so they will resort to deception, by taking the shape of a deceased person or animal of the place so people will be more likely to accept them.
And since they live for many many years longer than humans and they are invisible to our eyes, they tend to be able to know our secrets and things of us and our families which only a specific person will know, and then they exploit this knowledge and impersonate that deceased person...
LuSA (2 stories) (10 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-06-22)
Hi guys! Thanks for the replies and apologies for my late reply. I never got any notification of any replies so I never came back to the story!

The living residual makes sense... I'm pretty sure that dog must have walked up and down those stairs many, many times during her life. Unfortunately the poor girl has since died and my father moved out of the house, but I seemed to be the only one that experienced it.

But it's very interesting to know about living residual. I never knew such a thing existed!
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+3
9 years ago (2015-06-19)
Hi there LuSA,

We have a residual dog in our home, at least we did for a while. Haven't experienced it in a good while.

As Miracles says, it's energy. But the real ghost is not there and doesn't know some of its life is playing out in certain locations.
It's a bit like wearing knees in your jeans. After a while there's an imprint of your knee in the fabric. But your legs don't have to be there for the imprint to remain on the knee area of the jeans.

In the same way this dog may have daily traveled down those stairs and through the kitchen during this dog's lifetime. So the dog's imprint is left in the location in the form of energy.

If the dog acknowledged you, or interacted with surroundings, like avoiding furniture or people while trotting through, it was most likely the real ghost of the real dog. I hope that makes sense.

Actually the manner of your experience down the stairs, the timing of you and the dog suggests it was the real ghost of the real dog. The way this experience played out suggests an awareness from the dog, which supports the actual dog being present.

That said, either option is equally likely. If you spend more time in the house or experience more from the dog you'd probably be able to work out if it's residual energy (imprint) or ghost (actual dog).

Hope that makes a bit of sense.

Thanks for sharing, take care.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-06-18)
LuSA- My experiences started at a church and have been an on going thing to this day. I have asked the same question if my eyes where opened or was I opened up to something? I am leaning toward... Well, ha, I really don't know.

I have experienced the "Ghost dog" as well. In one of my stories "Ever Since" I had the sensation of a dog trotting past me. It felt so real. Down to the detail of it passing through my open hand. The feel of fur and all.

Enjoyed your story. Will be looking for more. Thanks for sharing.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-06-18)
LuSa - I've been dealing with feeling the touch of an animal that wasn't really there for a long time. My daughter has recently experienced it. I've been trying to work out, with the help of friends, whether or not this could be the spirit of an animal (in my case, cat) that has passed, or if they are living residual episodes.

Living residual, as easily as I can explain it, is when something living has repeated the same routine long enough it has created energy that continues to repeat that same routine even though still alive.

In this case, it could be your dog has walked that same path long enough she has created her own energy which is what you have felt/seen.

I'm at work and hurrying with this comment so it may not make as much sense to you as I hope 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: