You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Strange Dream Or Did My Grandfather Visit Me?

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Dream Or Did My Grandfather Visit Me?

 

This is my first story on here. About a year ago my grandfather died and about a week later I had a weird dream. In the dream I was in our kitchen getting something to eat. We have a window above our sink and suddenly I had the urge to look at it. As soon as I did a young man, about 25-30, popped up.

I could somehow immediately tell this was my grandfather. During that time I could hear the shower on in the other room and my mom and Grandmom washing my two little brothers.

I hid behind my brother's highchair instinctively and peered at my grandpa from behind it. He smiled at me and greeted me like nothing was wrong. The strange thing is, looking back now, that I realize he was not muffled even though he was behind glass. I gave him a weak smile and came out from behind the chair. He asked to see my grandma and I ran off to get her.

I remember he was acting rushed as if he knew the dream would end and wanted to talk to my grandma before it did. As soon as I got to the hall next to the bathroom, the dream ended. I told my family and my dad said he once had a dream about his dad. Not like that but that he saw his dad at his own funeral looking like he didn't belong. I asked my grandma if she had any dreams or contact and she said no.

Can anyone help with what the dream meant or was it just a friendly visit?

Also around the time I was really into the paranormal and was looking up different websites and reading books about them. Could that tie into why I saw him? All comments and explanations are greatly appreciated!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Featherkat, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-27)
Featherkat, given your description of him, I wonder if he was projecting what he wished he could have while alive. Perhaps that "perfected self" is part of it, although I see it as a balancing of all things. He may want you and your grandmother to know that this gentle side of him was always there. Your grandmother probably knew it from when he was young. Can you ask your grandmother what he was like when younger?

Hecate
Featherkat (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-26)
Rookdygin, thank you for the feedback and the opinions! Actually my grandpa always seemed older than he was. He was also REALLY grumpy. Not that he never laughed, we all do! It's just he was not very outgoing and that kind of thing. 😕
Featherkat (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-26)
losangelesgirl thanks for the feedback! Actually what's weird is when I woke up, I felt confusion. There might have been a little bit of relief though.
YLissaBearrY (1 stories) (16 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-26)
Good afternoon, Featherkat. I'm really sorry about your grandfather's passing. 😭 But, I think having these kind of dream-like experiences about your deceased loved ones is nice... To me, you're lucky to have such a good dream with your family. I've only had "scary" dreams with my parents/family in it. Even after my dad died, I didn't have a single good dream of him. -- But anyways, back to your story. 😳

About the man appearing in the window; as the others have said, it seems like it really was your grandfather. Like Rook has mentioned, dreams are probably easier for spirits to make contact; and as WiniPu said, it would make sense for this dream to take place in a comfortable environment so that the spirit can communicate with you for as long as possible. Also like Rook said, the 25-30 year old man you dreamt of could be the "perfected" form of your grandfather, the "younger than I physically am" form, or, I had a thought it might just be the younger version of your grandfather. But, who knows.?

I agree with LosAngelesGirl, that your grandfather probably appeared in your dream to say goodbye, or perhaps say that everything is going to be okay. I can understand that your grandfather would want to see your grandmother "one last time." Who wouldn't.?

It seems like it may be "normal" to dream about someone you loved that just died. I heard (which may not be true) that the spirits of the deceased leave their bodies within a week or so after dying; I could be wrong. But you having this dream visit a week after his death seems like it makes sense for him to appear and say goodbye before he departures off to the Heavens. -- Just my opinion.

I really did like this story, just for it having the family warmth that I wish I had. 😊 Thanks for sharing this, and I look forward to reading more of your dream experiences if you have any.

Warm regards,
Lissa
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-25)
Red Wolf has summed it up... Spirits find it easier to visit us in out dreams. The theory is that it takes them less energy which makes it easier for them to do so... Some people also think it means their loved one has actually 'crossed over' and has returned, making contact in a dream.

As far as him asking you to get your Grandmother... It sounds as if his was attempting to get a message to her.

As far as him looking 25-30 Years Old... I can think of two reasons off the top of my head for this.

One: Did you Grandfather always 'seem' younger than his physical age... In actions and deeds. With a modern sense of humor? If so his 'visit' may have been in the form he always saw himself as.

OR

Two: MY (my, my, my) Church teaches that at the 'end of times' our spirits and our 'perfected' bodies will be reunited to take our 'place' in 'Heaven' and in this 'dream visit' you saw his spirit in it's 'perfected' form.

Thanks for sharing.

Respectfully,

Rook
WiniPu4 (207 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-25)
Hello:

I have had many experiences with loved ones visiting me in dreams, and I do believe that despite the scenarios they are reaching out. I think they often create a comfortable backdrop so we can connect as long as possible. For me, even though I'm so grateful to have "seen" them, it never seems like it's long enough.
I can only speak from my own experience, but I firmly believe they are reaching out and if you open yourself up to it then you can learn to do it with more ease and greater frequency. I have researched techniques and now have "dream" experiences with regularity. When I have one that is noteworthy, I normally grab my computer and type it into a Word dream journal.
I think your experience is completely normal for many of us here. There are still many mysteries about this world, worlds beyond, and the human mind that we do not yet quite understand at this point on the timeline. You are very fortunate to have had this experience. I'm sure your grandfather wants you to know that he is still around and will always be there for you, still loves you, and wants you to know it.
My deepest condolences on your loss.

Blessings,
Lynev
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-25)
Hi FeatherKat,
I posted a story called Family Spirits dated 2012-11-22 on my profile page if you want to read it. I believe your grandfather did visit but I don't know why he would be much younger and you would instinctively know it was him. Spirits find it easier to visit in dreams.
Regards
Red
LosAngelesGirl (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-24)
Hi Featherkat,

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfathers loss. I lost my grandpa 8 months ago and had something very similar happen to me. I think he maybe came back to say good bye to you or a reassurance that everything is okay. As for your grandma not seeing him, maybe he wanted to make himself visible to her, but just didn't have the chance. I know when my grandpa visited me I felt a sense of relief. Is that an emotion you had when you woke up from this dream?

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: