You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Mango Tree

Real Ghost Stories

Mango Tree

 

My aunt told me this story. She lives in a village near Amritsar. Back in 1995. When my cousins were kids (Now they are adult) used to play in a garden full of mango tress. The trees were of all the villagers grown at a same place. Once during summers when the mango trees were full of ripped mangoes my cousins along with other kids went to collect the mangoes. There used to be a mango tree in the centre of the garden whose mangoes were sweetest but its keeper was a rude lady. She hated children. When any kid went near her tree, she beat them. She used to sit on her tree and watch children from there. One day she slipped from the tree and died breaking her rib-cage. After her death my aunt did not allow my cousins to go near the garden but my cousins wanted to eat tho mangoes from her tree so they decided to go there after sunfall. At 7pm when my aunt went to the neighbour's house, they escaped from their home and went to garden. They started collecting mangoes fallen from the very tree. Suddenly they heard a loud shout of a woman. They thought it was their mother's voice but when they turned back no one was there. They again started collecting mangoes. Again they heard a shout and watched above the branch of tree. To their horror it was the same woman who died few days ago. Her eyes were glowing with unearthly light and her legs were touching the ground while she was still sitting on the branch. My cousins fainted with fear. Next morning they were suffering from high fever. A villager found them unconscious and took them to my aunt. They told the whole story to my aunt. From then until today the rumor of mango tree witch haunts the village. No one dares to go in the garden after sunfall. When I heard this story I stopped going near mango trees for few weeks. I know that's funny.

Other hauntings by Aaru275

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Aaru275, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

santhosh143 (1 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-06-04)
Short but Great. I hope u r cousins are fine now. Its very scary. 😟 😟 😟
Aaru275 (4 stories) (55 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-10-26)
Thanks Jubeele. I still love mangoes but I try to avoid that garden when I visit my cousins.
Jubeele (25 stories) (885 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-10-16)
Aaru, what a horrible experience for your cousins. I hope they are all fine now.

Mangoes are my favourite fruit (apart from durians). I had an aunt who had four mango trees in her garden in Malacca (W. Malaysia). She had so many fruit that she would leave baskets full of mangoes outside her gate for the neighbours to enjoy. She would also let the children come and pick the fruit themselves. I think you and your cousins would have loved her!

I hope this hasn't put you off mangoes. Just stay away from from that particular tree... Thank you for your story.

P.S. This is for Redwolf or anyone interested in making mango smoothies. You get the best results with soft, very ripe mangoes. Google "mango lassi", it's like a mango milkshake; mango, milk, yogurt, sugar and a dash of cardamom. There's also a Thai green mango salad you can make (Som Tum Mamuang).
Cheers, Jules 😊
Aaru275 (4 stories) (55 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-24)
Thank you guys for your comments. I appreciate your views about my story. Thanks again 😊
broiquapride (22 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-08)
i think that it was a lesson well learned because they should not have disobeyed the parents and they should have stayed away from the tree if they knew it was bad news that what I think
WiniPu4 (207 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-04)
Hello:

I love aku and hecate's ideas about blessing the tree in an effort to release her spirit, and make the spot filled with love, life, and joy. Maybe there is a spiritual or religious person in the area experienced in helping souls to move on and doing blessings?
She is obviously still miserable in death, but this should be performed by someone skilled as it sounds like her soul has morphed into something even more malicious. Wouldn't it be nice to free her and make it safe for all the nearby children?

Blessings,
Lynev
Shady4u (2 stories) (188 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-01)
Hey there, as far as I know, there are certain kinds of trees which ghosts like to haunt, at least in India. Maybe this can be an example to such of a case. However, your story seems too mainstream and made up to me. I'm not saying it can't be true, it's just that I find it difficult to digest. I can be wrong though. If it is true, must've been hell of an experience for your cousins. Perhaps, assuming that the story is true, I don't think the ghost bothers anyone unless they try to mess with the tree. So I guess it's better to let her be and keep off of her tree if no one wants to do a ritual. I wonder if the haunting still persists. That's all I guess. Thank you.
-Shady.
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-07-01)
Aaru, I sounds like her selfishness is her attachment to the tree, not love. So, a blessing/cleansing of the entire grove might release her. She was not balanced in life. Beating children, well, we all get it, despicable. So, it is likely her ghost would not be balanced either. She needs the love she did not feel in life to move on and realize the tree is no longer her reality. Part of me feels like that whole village should have a happy, loving, joyous party, with dancing and songs and food, right there under her tree, and celebrate her to a peaceful place. That way, everyone frees her. Sounds like she had quite a reputation.

Best to you. Let us know if anything changes.

Hecate

This comment from njms2687 is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

aku-97 (3 stories) (21 posts)
+3
9 years ago (2015-07-01)
Hi aru,
In India people believe that it's better to get rid of things that are attached to person's death as they are magnet to spirits. If objects can't be removed they should be blessed. I feel the lady died under the tree she loved most as a result of which her spirit became bound to tree. The only solution can be it's blessing as the idea of removing the tree may make the spirit angry. You should not be afraid of trees as they are the most beautiful creation of nature.
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-01)
Hi, Aru... Every one has some childhood memory attached with mango tree but I am sure your cousin has the most terrified memory attached with mango tree. I think woman loves her tree more than ever and that is the reason she is still attached with tree... It's best to avoid the tree or Like Sushant say villager need to perform to show the right path of salvation.

Loved to read it Aaru...

Stay blessed
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-01)
Larkin
Some urban legends can manifest acual activity. Sweet Hollow Road in Commack on Long Island has activity now when it was only stories (legends) about it. You can probably google it. Three teens were said to have hung themselves from a parkway bridge over the road. There is also a cemetary on one side of the road. I told my daughter not to go there EVER but she didn't listen to me because her much older friends wanted her to take them there. Every damn time she went something follwed her home and I'm the one left to deal with getting rid of the spirits. So don't brush something off so easily as legend.
If I caught someone beating my children for any reason, especially something as stupid as taking some mangoes I would have her arrested. If I lived in a village that you had to deal with this type of thing I would get other mothers involved and all of us would tell her off. She was either crazy, or a witch to begin with and that is why I assume she haunted or possessed the tree after her death, which she probably blamed the children for.
On another note. How do you know when to eat a mango? Don't laugh my mother never bought them. Are they better to eat when they are firm or soft? I've just started making smoothies. Mango cherry was very good.
Larkin (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-30)
A popular theory is, destorying the object a spirit is attached to will releases it. I don't believe the entire garden would need to be altered.

I also believe most urban legends are simply superstition. While some of them nay have morals, I dont't believe most have real life events to reinforce them.
sushantkar (16 stories) (533 posts)
+3
9 years ago (2015-06-30)
Urban legends are often not baseless sometime people just ignore the truth contained in it and sometimes actual problem begins from here.
Cutting a particular tree won't reduce/finish the problem. The spirit is actually attached with that garden. Cleansing that whole premisses or a special pryer could be arrange to show the right path for her salvation.

Regards
Larkin (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-30)
I gotta say, this has like, all the workings of an urban legend. From the greedy lady, to her ultimate demise, to the haunted mango tree.

If it did happen, scary. If the people feared a tree so badly I can't imagine why they wouldn't cut the damn thing down.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: