You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Poltergeists / Physical Manifestations :: What Is With This Tapping Noise?

Real Ghost Stories

What Is With This Tapping Noise?

 

Ever since I was about five I've heard this odd tapping noise from the walls in my bedroom which is always mystified me. It is usually only at night when I'm in bed.

I clearly remember the night I first heard it. My parents were out and my uncle was around with his two dogs babysitting us. I thought at the time it was some sound the dogs were making but I've heard it so many more time since then.

There is no particular pattern in how many times I hear the noises, sometimes it will be almost every night and sometimes I won't hear it for months. It is normally in one wall but will sometimes jump from wall to wall or in other words start in one wall then stop and start again in another wall. It varies in volume as in sometimes it will be so quiet I can hardly notice it and sometimes so loud I have to actually go and sleep in the lounge because it keeps me awake.

Sometimes if it's keeping me awake my father will come into the room to see if he can hear it and determine what it is but here is the weird thing. He can never hear it no matter how clearly I can. Like even if it's real loud for me he cannot hear it no matter how hard he tries. Sometimes it will stop completely or drop to very faint when he comes in then start up/get louder again when he leaves. Once I heard it faintly in my parent's room when I was in there and another time faintly in the lounge (Both are next to my bedroom) but only on the one occasion.

Recently we went up to Taupo for a holiday and I heard it in our cabin late at night, which admittedly freaked me out a little because I'd never heard it away from home before and it made me aware that whatever causes it must follow me. I am quite puzzled as to the cause and reason of this noise and if you Your Ghost Stories members have any ideas as to the cause and reason I would really appreciate your comments.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Zealand

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Dont_give_up, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Dad2dys3Gi7rl6 (1 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2021-02-28)
Hi there [at] Dont_give_up

A little bit late to the party I know, but I have heard this ticking too. Exactly the same experience-no rhyme or reason, bounces around the room, all of it. I have always felt there is a paranormal reason to it and now I'm convinced. My brother has followed me around ever since he passed, sometimes I smell his ciggies, sometimes I hear songs, A LOT of the time his practical joker side comes out and he screws with my devices 😆 TONIGHT, we are coming into the month of his anniversary, and heard the ticking for the first time in months. We are playing metal music which was his favourite, and the ticking starts after the end of every song as if it were applause then stops until the next song ends. Even just now, a less metal song had less intense ticking! But further than this, my husband is randomly scrolling Facebook, and two of the cars he owned, one being the LAST car he owned, come up in his news feed. I am CONVINCED the ticking is someone reminding us they are around.
memyinz (1 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-12-26)
I've had this same thing happening for many years (almost 25 years) and in different houses.
The first time the ticking sound was heard there was actually 3 of us in the room at the time and all of us could hear it, that went on for months but not all the time, just every so often. Now that house had solid concrete walls, no pipes or anything on that particular wall for lighting or anything, just a solid concrete wall, you could get close enough to it but if you got too close it would stop, you could mark on the wall where it was coming from but the very next time the ticking started again it would be coming from a slightly different location than what was marked.
Now this has happened in many houses since then but on other occasions I've been the only person around so couldn't ask others if they could hear it, I might try recording it next time.
Tonight it started again and this time I could hear it over the top of the TV, when I muted the TV it stopped, this happened several times but then the sound decided it would keep ticking until I almost have it located, and then it stops, this time it's in a different wall to normal, as we have renovated the house inside out I know where pipes and wires all are and this wall has nothing. I'm tempted to put a hole in the wall this time haha.
So the thing is, like everyone, I want to know what it is, can I talk to it? Can I capture it? Can I pet it, can I reason with it haha, surely there must be some explanation as to what this could be. This is the first time I've heard it in +6 months, before that I hadn't heard from it in a few years. There's no complications in my life, and no substances abuse either. Aw, can I name it? I mean if it was something spiritual I wouldn't want to upset it.
CraigT104 (1 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-01-30)
I have also been dealing with tapping, knocking, bangings sounds that disrupt my sleep and harass me throughout the day. I captured the sounds on video and uploaded them onto my youtube channel (CraigT104). The noises follow me too. It's been an everyday occurrence for about the last ten years. Since I was a young child I've had strange things happening.
sheld999 (14 stories) (74 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-30)
i also experience this tapping/ticking sound. Exactly same as you explained it
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2015-12-22)
Zander - your comment is interesting re:

"Manifestation; inviting the entity wittingly or unwittingly. A former or current member of the household could give 'permission' by letting their own auric shields down by being high, drunk or otherwise 'wasted' out of it"

My father was (is) an alcoholic back then and would get hammered every night and become another person (very unpleasant) so your comment resonates with me, and may help to explain the ticking sounds.

I've heard about and read often (and believe) that there are earthbound spirits (no pun intended) who are still desperate to continue to experience alcohol and will attempt to "possess / influence" individuals in order to do so.

That may help to explain my observations of my fathers radical and frightening change in personality, although it's never that black and white is it.

Regards

Mack
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-12-22)
Hi Don't_give_Up.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am interested in this because I too experienced a tapping / ticking sound coming from the walls of my room when I was a child living in Wellington.

It sounded like a clock ticking and it would be at different speeds, usually constant but sometimes tapering away slowly. It would be from different parts of the walls. It would stop when I banged on the wall, but then start up again.

My room, which I shared with my older brother, was upstairs on a second story, and the walls were all "outside" walls with only one adjoining my younger sisters room.

So there were no water pipes or anything in those walls.

This ticking noise must have been freaking us kids out because I remember once my brother had some friends in our room and the door was closed. So, as all good brothers do, I decided to imitate the ticking noise on the metal door handle. I remember my brother bursting out of the room at a great rate of knots with a terrified look on his face.

It could be put down to materials heating / cooling, rats, mice, electric faults etc etc but I remember it seemed weird and scary.

Cheers
Mack
Dont_give_up (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-12-02)
Hi AsaNisiMasa, Apologies for the late reply, I would be very interested in some more information about the noises.
AsaNisiMasa (1 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-24)
I have several recordings of this noise and more information about it if you are interested.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-07-16)
Greetings, Don't_give_up.

Rook's "debunking" advice is sound, as per usual, but the computer won't let me add a green "+1" to his commentary. Are there pipes running through the walls, above the ceiling, or under the floor of your room? Depending upon the age of your house, there may be pipes for an old system your family doesn't use, but they are still sitting there as conduits for strong breezes to blow through and rattle them against the support beams of your home.

While much of Zander's advice is sound, too, based upon "worst case scenario" thinking (which is what I usually do!). However, I'm going to disagree politely with him for a moment.

Zander, we don't know that the OP does or does not practice witchcraft; the first response is from "teenagewitch21" who who first posted about a similar phenomenon back in 2012 (http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=16025). If you meant that you are a practicing witch, Zander, I was merely confused by your sentence structure.

Don't_give_up, I have a more middle-of-the-road suggestion. Other than "New Zealand" and "teenager," we know nothing about you. Because of your writing style I'm going to speculate that you are female in your mid-to-late teens (if I'm wrong, I apologize). IF this is the case, you may want to look into "poltergeist phenomena" which can also manifest as tapping. Poltergeist phenomena are often associated with frustrated/emotional teens who suppress their strongest emotions (usually anger, jealousy, whatever), but -possibly because of some sort of untapped psychic ability- the emotion is projected by the individual into the physical space he or she inhabits. Roughly, 1/3 of those who experience these phenomena are male and 2/3 are female (rough guess on numbers, I don't have time to look it up at the moment), and this is much more common during the hormonal changes of the teen years (plus anxiety about the future; coping with stressful changes like moving out, friends moving away; a shifting power dynamic between the individual's desire for autonomy and his/her parents' still acting like a child's parents instead of acknowledging they've got to cope with an immature adult).

Have you been under major stress when these tapping phenomena have occurred? If you can't remember, start keeping a journal of days with stressful/upsetting events. For example: a term-paper is due; you need to find better-paid part-time job to pay for a car; a breakup; a friend needs more of your help than you can give right now; and going on a long trip/vacation, which is supposed to provide relaxation, can be stressful because when you are in your house, you know where all of your stuff is / should be, but if you're living out of a suitcase for 2 weeks, it is very easy to misplace important items and you start getting hyper-vigilant and stressed to make sure that you've got everything you need...) If these events coincide with your tapping phenomena, -as your vacation did- I'd suggest that you need to find a way to vent your emotions through physical activity such as cycling, hiking, swimming, etc., to see if that improves your situation. I'd suggest that you do this while following up with Rook's advice about a medical checkup and when your regular doctor pulls out his/her otoscope, mention "hearing noises that no one else seems to hear... Would a trip to an audiologist be a good idea?" (Look up tinnitus and other ear complaints to see if hearing random tapping may be a symptom of an infection, an inner-ear pressure issue, etc.). Then, if your doctor thinks that there's nothing even remotely unusual about your perfectly-healthy ears, and you've discovered that there is no correlation between your daily life stresses and your auditory experiences, move on to Zander's advice. Rook has a cleansing ritual on his page (click on his name and scan down) which many people here -of diverse religious and agnostic backgrounds- have used.

Best,

-Biblio.
Zander (7 stories) (146 posts)
+4
9 years ago (2015-07-11)
I like Rookdygin's recommendation concerning, particularly pipes. Next time you hear it, see if anyone is running water of any sort in the house or any adjoining [attached] property: toilet, dishwasher, clothes washer, hose, sink, etc. Once this or any other natural explanation is eliminated, presuming it is, you may be looking at something serious. I don't want to frighten you but this could be a benign attempt at communication from spirit or... What have you invited to communicate, if anything? The tapping you describe is sometimes characteristic of one on the stages of, well, there's not easy way to say this... Attempted possession. The 4 stages being:

1] Manifestation; inviting the entity wittingly or unwittingly. A former or current member of the household could give 'permission' by letting their own auric shields down by being high, drunk or otherwise 'wasted' out of it. Or the invitation could be more conscious [Ouija board.]

2] Infestation... The tapping you describe is sometimes listed under this category

3] Oppression: the entity begins to affect the human psychologically to the negative

4] Possession:...need we say more?

So, as a witch, learn about and keep up your shields. Burn sage [or frankincense] and bless your home. Salt corners, windows and door sills as you recite a protective blessing. Be 'armed' for when the tapping stops again. What prayer makes you feel safe? Is it Wiccan, Christian, Hindu---it doesn't matter. What matters is you believe it and can feel the power of it.

Keep it 'safe'...no Necronomicon or Ouija. Keep your powers and invitations positive. I used to have a pagan bookstore. Lmk if you have any questions. I've dealt with problems like this ~ large and small.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+5
9 years ago (2015-07-09)
We must start with the normal and natural... Have you seen your Doctor concerning your ears? What YOU are 'hearing may be due to sinus preasure... Or maybe even damage to your inner ear casued by... Well it could be many things... Water preasure from diving or jumping into deep water or a sudden change in air preasure while on an airplane (I have re-curing vertigo from that one).

If its not medical then there is a 'small' chance that what you are hearing is still 'natural' but something others have learned to 'tune out' and you are focusing on becasue you do not know what it is. Purhaps it's the water pipes in the house not being secured corrctly and if 'air' gets into the pipe it 'jumps' causeing it to thump against the wall (s).

Or maybe it's something like this...

I've been hearing taping on my bathroom wall for months... This wall is between my oldest sons bedroom and the master bathroom... My wife 'heard' it once or twice but did not hear it all the time and my oldest said he did not hear anything.

I when to wake him up one morning and he had his fan on... The fan was causeing one of his wall hangings to swing and becasue it is weighted with a plastic pole along the bottom the pole was tapping the wall. 'Phantom Tapping' solved.

Thank you for sharing, and while there may be a paranormal reason for your experience please rule out ALL the non-paranormal reasons first.

Respectfully,

Rook
teenagewitch21 (5 stories) (30 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-09)
I don't have any idea of what causes the noises but I would very much like to find out as I have been experiencing the same thing for the past 5 years. I have told my partner about it and he says he can't hear anything, a friend of mine heard it once but never before or since. I can't find anything that would make a sound like it

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: