You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Demons / Possessions / Exorcisms :: Aunt Possessed

Real Ghost Stories

Aunt Possessed

 

I am Rohan, a 28 year old engineer from Navi Mumbai India. I have been an avid reader on this forum from last 5 years but it's only now I got some courage and time to express myself. Ever since I was a child I have been fascinated by the spirit world and/or supernatural phenomenon. And I am sure many of you as kids used to share so many ghost stories which may or may not be true but left us all mesmerized and wanting for more! I still remember my school and college trips/camps when we all friends used to gather at night sharing stories regarding the supernatural and ghosts. There is a kind of a sinful delight in being scared unless you are in one of the particular incident. These incidents I want to mention were witnessed by me or by someone close to me.

I have never witnessed anything magical or ghostly like the things we see now a days in movies for example things flying or telekinesis or any other poltergeist activities. I have only witnessed people possessed or who believe to be possessed. It may be true supernatural or some mental illness like schizophrenia, split personality etc, god knows, but the detail in which the possessed people act or reveal secrets has made me a believer. We dismiss it as another horror of superstition and look the other way but these things still exist in the thriving. There are many such incidents to my knowing but for the sake of keeping this story short I would like to mention just a few of my experiences. If people or forum members are interested then I might post more.

In 1980's before I was born a murder of a distant relative took place in our family. He was killed by his known friends over some petty dispute. In those days law and order wasn't that strict. The government was a council of few people, and was called a Panchayat. If the accused were the kin of the affluent council members, they were generally acquitted for these crimes and such was the case here too. I believe (correct me if I am wrong) Vengeful spirit is said to be the soul of a deceased person who returns from the afterlife to seek revenge for a cruel, unnatural or unjust death subjected to torture. In my culture where funeral and cremation ceremonies are important, such vengeful spirits may also be considered as unhappy ghosts of individuals who have not been given a proper cremation. In this case too the body of the victim was never found and all the culprits were acquitted thus giving rise to such a spirit.

2-3 years after the murder, first sign of possession started appearing on some of the sensitive members of the victims family. First it was my aunt who started behaving oddly. I am sure if this case happened at present instead of the 80's many psychologist/ psychiatrist could have earned a fortune. First symptoms were generally mild. My aunt who was a newlywed started eating all the food which was meant for the family of five! And the funny thing was even after eating so much she used to complain with the in-laws that she was being starved. Keep in mind she was the thinnest and slimmest among the entire family. Second symptom came after few days when she started demanding non-vegetarian food. My aunt who was a vegetarian by birth requesting non-veg food was weird at first but since other members of the family were also non vegetarian they thought she must have developed an appetite for meat. The shocker was when she started stealing country liquor and beedis (kind of a local cigarette) and consuming it without anyone noticing! She used to be in a constant state of hangover. Alas after few days the elders after noticing something amiss called the village priest. The priest did notice the presence of a supernatural entity but wasn't able to confirm its identity. The possessing soul is often a liar and very clever and will try to disguise its identity until the very end. Realizing trouble the spirit using my aunt as a medium told the family members that he was the ancestral god and fulfilling his wishes was everyone's duty thus enjoying few days of royal treatment. My great grandfather sensing foul called a well known astrologer from the nearby village. This astrologer who was a wise gentleman and had been involved in the field of occult from a long time was not easily fooled. Using his knowledge he revealed that the spirit was of the dead family member who was murdered few years back by his friends. He was able to subdue the spirit but it was beyond his power to permanently exorcise a spirit filled with such hatred and determination for revenge.

In the span of following 9-10 years the spirit did get its revenge. All of the murder accused except one suffered huge losses in their respective businesses. Their health deteriorated, they had family issues, faced depression eventually leading to death. All died of unusual sickness or by suicide, I don't want to get into detail of how they all died in respect of the deceased. There was one accused who I think realized his mistake and pledged his life to lord Ganesha in the village Ganesh temple. He devoted his life helping the needy, working in the temple and praying for forgiveness. I found out through various sources that the entity tried its best to lure the last accused out of gods grace. But it's the universal truth that no power in this entire world can harm a true follower of god under his mercy. That person died of old age just a few years back and even I attended his funeral.

As years passed the power of the spirit had greatly increased. My aunt and the other relatives were doing fine but they did had bouts of possession once or twice a year. During those short period the possessed were a threat to others as well as to themselves. Various Priests, tantriks and exorcist from different parts were called but in vain. One of the priest said to take my aunt to Mehandipur Balaji temple of Rajasthan. We were kids back then, may be 7-8 can't remember exactly but we too accompanied them on that trip. What I saw there send shivers through my entire body whenever I remember it.

For people, who don't believe in ghosts, this is the place to come where evil spirits are exorcised. (From WEB) Mehandipur Balaji temple is located in Dausa district of Rajasthan, 255 km away from Delhi. There are three main deities of the temple- Lord Hanuman, Pret Raj (The King of spirits), Bhairav. Thousands of devotees flock to this temple to get cured and get evil spirits exorcised. As the legend goes, the images of Lord Balaji and that of Pret Raja (the king of spirits) appeared from 'Mehandipur Dham' around one thousand years ago in a valley, amidst the hills of the Aravali Range. In 2013, an international team of scientist, scholars and psychiatrists from Germany, Netherlands, AIIMS, New Delhi and University of Delhi started a study to research and evaluate all aspects of treatment and rituals at the temple. Has anyone heard of this research? If yes then do let me know the result. Anyway, the priest hired to exorcise my aunt there tried his best, but even though he managed to weaken the entity, he was not completely successful. Regular monthly visits there too proved unfruitful. Next, from an advice of some relatives of other individuals who were earlier possessed, we took our aunt to Gangapur Dattatreya temple. Gangapura (sometimes called Deval Ganagapur) is a village in Karnataka, India. It is located in the Kalburagi district of Karnataka.

At Gangapur a havan was performed by the temple priests. According to wiki, Havan is a sanskrit word which refers to any ritual in which making offerings into a consecrated fire is the primary action. Havan is an age-old sacred ritual to propitiate various deities using the sacred fire as a medium for the attainment of various wishes and boons in the materialistic and the spiritual worlds. They are carried to dispel the negative energies from our minds; to destroy negative life patterns; to annihilate negative effects and evils of others. I still remember this ritual which was carried by 8-10 priests for the span of three days. My aunt who was now diabetic and hardly over 45kgs did manage to injure few priests in a fit of rage but was eventually overpowered. It is over here that the spirit himself revealed that he didn't wish to leave and wouldn't unnecessarily harm my aunt or other members who have started worshiping god! Earlier from a relatives advise my aunt had become a devotee of Shri Siddharudh swami Maharaj (Holy Saint) of Hubli, Karnataka. People from Karnataka would know. The entity told that he would had already succeeded in taking my aunt to the world beyond but whenever he tried the old man used to come beating him with a stick! The old man was none other then the holy saint Siddharudh Swami. I am glad to say that even I am a follower of teachings of shri siddharudh swami and Aai.

There are some questions in my mind which trouble me and which I like to get answered. Is this an evil spirit? I know revenge was on its mind, but seeking justice and revenge is the tendency of most humans. We too crave the company of others! There were instances when this spirit actually helped some family members but at what price? For example, once black magic was performed on one of my uncle by his competitive business rival. The aim was not to harm physically but to incur financial loss. The spirit using a medium revealed this plot and also helped finding the hidden artifact buried in my uncles front yard and on which black magic was cast upon. My uncle although he forgave the rival but after few days the rivals only perfectly fine son met with an accident resulting to head injury causing severe Autism like syndrome, he faced huge losses and had to sell of his land to repay debt. The rival died few years later of liver cirrhosis even though he never drank.

My father was the cousin and a very good friend of the spirits living son. This spirit actually saved my fathers life once. Back in those days televisions were a rarity. There were no movie theaters and newly released movies used to be screened outdoors at night on a white cloth using projectors. Entire village especially the younger audience used to assemble at such events. Similar screening was once organized in the nearby village. After the movie while returning home, my father was separated from his group. As it was already past midnight he decided to travel alone on foot. There were no street lights and on his way he saw two person walking briskly at few distance away. These persons disappeared into the darkness after a while. My Father who had traveled on this same route earlier on several occasion got lost. He was in a state of mental confusion. After wondering in circles for what seemed like an hour he reached near the old railway track crossing. This place was recently famous for suicides and accidents. Although there was a foot over bridge he decided to cross the tracks from below. It was here when he saw those two people again and decided to confront them. Reaching near he saw that they were a couple. On closer inspection he found out that where there should have been a face was complete blackness. Their faces had no shape whatsoever. But the thing was, he wasn't scared. Instead of being afraid there was a deep desire in his mind to go and lie on the train tracks. Before he could do that he was knocked cold and passed out. In the morning he was found near the tracks by some local villagers and was carried home. When he regained consciousness, before mentioning anything to anyone, my aunt again had a bout of possession. The spirit through my aunt revealed that those two people whom my father met at night near the tracks were actually another souls who wanted to lure my father to his death. This spirit actually had to fight them to save my father!

Its been so many years. Our family has expanded vastly. I haven't even seen some of my relatives for years and many relatives, I am not even sure if they are related. In such a big family there have been five suicides in the last six years. One astrologer has informed that all these suicides are related to this spirit. I believe these spirits experience more emotions then what a normal human feels. In such moments of extreme emotions we cannot guess what one spirits can do. We haven't been troubled by it lately for many years. Last year we again visited Gangapur temple to seek blessings and our aunt also accompanied. There my aunt was again possessed and the spirit asked why had we brought her there when he had not troubled any one of us from last many years? We told him that we were just seeking blessings and it was just a general visit. He left immediately afterwards.

Wow, I lost track of time while writing this. I have so much to say but so little time. I know many of you might have questions, I will do my best to answer. Again, I am not a writer, English is not my first language, so if you find any mistakes please do not shy away from mentioning.

- Regards Rohan

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Rohan_mhtr, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Aj2000 (1 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-02-28)
Hi Rohan,
I'm having a similar problem with one of my family members.
We are going to the Dattatreya temple in ganagapur in gulbarga.
Could you kindly give details about the priest whom we can contact for exorcism. Please it is urgent...
saher (4 stories) (52 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-28)
Rohan_mhtr,

Waiting for your story Rohan, Thanx for answering my query... 😊
Rohan_mhtr (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-27)
[at] saher, I am glad that you liked my story/experience. These days I am being kept busy by work load. If people are interested then I will gladly provide some time from my schedule to write my various other experiences.
To answer your question.
At first sure there were many problems but as days past the issues decreased. This might also be due to our faith in God. I am happy to say that by God's grace we are doing well now.
saher (4 stories) (52 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-24)
Hey Rohan,

AMAZING STORY!
Just loved it... Is like the story I want to read... Thanx a ton for sharing this... Just a small question I have for u... It is said that if an evil spirit is latched to you or your family it creates great problems... For Eg: Financial problems & Mental negativity mainly... Did that ever happen to your family? BTW... This story goes right in my Favorites... ❤
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-14)
Thanks Gayatrishiva, usually I'm the same as you, suspicious of mental illness where possession is involved. But I think there are these rare times, like in Rohan's story, where the timeline and all other factors seem to point to an external presence. As you say, illogical and beyond human understanding, that's a great way to put it. 😊
Gayatrishiva (3 stories) (121 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-14)
Well said Tweed! Sometimes many things remains illogical, beyond human understanding...
Rohan_mhtr (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-14)
Thanks Tweed, I am glad that you liked my experience. Its good to hear opinions from a westerners point of view.
-Regards
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-14)
Rohan, hello, a very hearty welcome and thank you for sharing your extremely well written story! No one would ever know English was your second language, it's exceptionally advanced.

I haven't heard of the research conducted about the temple. As you can see there are a lot of Indian folk who frequent this site and hopefully some might be able to provide more information for you about this.

I have very limited knowledge about your culture and therefore any thoughts of mine are coming from a Westerner's perspective (albeit British and American point of view).
It sounds to me like the spirit who possessed or possesses your Aunt has made at least some peace with what happened to him. There's a clear link throughout your story to people who open themselves to a God or religious practice and the calming of this possessive spirit. Which makes me think the possessive spirit feels 'listened to' when people do good with their life. That the possessive spirit wants to be heard and feel that his death is understood by those he knew in his life. It must be frustrating to have an unjust death, then for the local law enforcement to deny him justice. All resulting in the possession of your Aunt which was probably the only way he knew to communicate his frustration. Possessing anybody is not a nice way to go about this by any means. Yet, you can see how a person would feel in the spirit realm. That is, you can understand how angry and frustrated any person would be to have gone through this.
Personally, I feel that all ghosts have the choice to learn in the spirit realm/afterlife what they didn't get a chance to in life. I also believe that the manner in which someone dies may anger some ghosts, but it does not change them into evil. I don't think that anyone becomes a 'demon' because they were wronged in their life. But, if angered, what they can now do from the spirit realm, like possession, can appear to be 'demonic' or otherwise very evil. This doesn't make possession a nice thing to do, it's a horrible thing to do to people. But at the same time I can somewhat sympathise with this spirit's frustration. I don't think this spirit is truly evil.
Thankfully the spirit seems to be making some peace with what happened to him and I feel, as a Westerner reading your story, there's a link between people connected to this spirit finding a God and/or religious practice and this spirit feeling heard and listened to. He may also find comfort in seeing people doing good in their life, knowing that those good people would never do to anyone what was done to him.

Glad you joined the site after all these years, and hope you continue to share your experiences with us.
Take care.
Gayatrishiva (3 stories) (121 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-14)
Hi rowan never the less I liked your story and my interest in paranormal also started with witnessing such incidents and I still don't know for sure if it's mental illness or ghost. My mother has had many experience which starts with her visiting Muni which again can be elemental guardian or its usually protecting that particular area or tree. Then she encountered so called bit higher spirit ie karupasamy (which again village guardian) after which that so called Muni told her she can't visit her as she is protected by another higher force. Anyways I will write a detailed story about it. And it might be too big and so I have to split it up into many parts and I hope moderators will be ok with it as I want to discuss such phenomenon in here with international visitors to this site for better understanding and healthy discussions.
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-14)
Hey Rohan... Thanks for your reply... I am glad that your aunt's sons and aunt are doing great...

😁
Rohan_mhtr (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-14)
Hi Gayatrishiva. It was not just my aunt. But many of the other relatives too. For this story I focused on my aunt only. Some relatives are so distant that I don't even recall their names but all are said to possessed by same entity. I am not sure if its possible.
Rohan_mhtr (1 stories) (8 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-14)
Yes She did manage to conceive. But that too is an interesting story. I was not born but I heard it from the elders. She had few miscarriages during peak time but later she did manage to give birth to two healthy sons. The eldest son let's call him Arvind, when he was 4 had an unfortunate accident at home and died. My aunt was devastated and did question her faith in front of the holy saints photo. Doctors said she could not get pregnant again but she did. The new child that was born has the same birth mark one on his thigh and other on back just like arvind and he too was named arvind. Both sons are doing great. Their carriers have flourished and both are married now.
Gayatrishiva (3 stories) (121 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-14)
I honestly think your aunt is not dealing with ghost possession but I think she is suffering from mental illness. I might be wrong but I think this might be posibility because you said possession was there long years and bouts of possession appeared now and then once in a while.
Rohan_mhtr (1 stories) (8 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-14)
Hi sheetal, No I am not from Karnataka. I am from Mumbai. But we visit Karnataka 3-4 times every year. Glad that you liked my story.
As for my aunt, she started getting well gradually but this experience left a permanent mark on her health. She reverted back to her old vegetarian diet but the effects of nicotine addiction was clearly felt. Being a strong and stubborn lady she did manage to conquer the withdrawal symptoms and was addiction free within few months.
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-14)
I think the spirit has rooted his power in your aunt very well and does not wanted to leave her... Keep take blessing and trust in god... Even in my village's home, one spirit is troubling to my uncle and his health is continuous deteriorating but occasional blessing is doing wonders for him... By the way I am from Thane... Glad to see anyone from Navi Mumbai.

Stay blessed dear 😁
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-14)
Hello, Rohan... You explained it very well... I enjoyed your story... Are you from Karantaka?... One of my friend is from there I'll definitely ask her about the holy saint... I think your aunt was possessed because it is said that... Spirits generally possessed woman who is newly married (In my culture it is said so)

Just want to know does your aunt conceived and has any child?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: