You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Traveller

Real Ghost Stories

The Traveller

 

A couple of years back myself and my mother were visiting her sister in the North of the country, a few hundred miles from where we lived. My mum had decided to drive rather than take the train and after staying the weekend, we started our return trip. We left on a Monday morning but as the distance to our town was so great we called in with my mother's friend with the intention of spending the night.

It was a really nice house but is literally in the middle of nowhere; at least a mile from the next nearest house and miles again from the nearest town or shop. As we got close to the house a huge summer storm hit; torrential rain, thunder and lightning. It turned out to be quite lucky we had planned to stay overnight as driving conditions had quickly become dangerous.

The house was undergoing massive interior renovation at the time, which meant my Mum and me would be spending the night crashing in the living room as all the spare bedrooms were out of commission. Once the workmen had left for the day we spent most of the evening on the back porch watching the storm before we turned in for the night. I crashed on the couch while Mum took a leather divan-type sofa that was placed directly under the window that faced the driveway.

Late into the night I woke up feeling very uneasy, as if I was being watched. I opened my eyes but didn't move anything other than my head toward where Mum was sleeping. There was a hooded black figure standing at the window over my Mum, with his hands up to the window as if he was trying to see if anyone or anything was in the living room. The driveway had a very powerful light fixed on a pole at the edge of the front yard. My Mum, exhausted from the driving, was completely out for the count despite the window being no more than 18 inches from her face.

The figure continued to slowly scan the room then stopped suddenly as if he had just seen me. (The yard light was positioned so that no light was cast into the house so the room was completely pitch black). By now the severity of the storm had increased and thunder and lightning was striking frequently. As if on cue, a lightning strike hit and seemed to illuminate the inside of the living room. The figure leaves his vantage point and started walking towards the right hand side of the house where there is another window offering a better view of the living room.

Without saying anything I waited until the figure was out of sight and slid off the couch scuttling into the doorway just off the living room and out of the second windows line of sight. I peek from behind the wall and can see the figure at the second window. By this stage I was freaked and unsure what to do. Lightning hit again and the figure snapped his head right to where I was hiding. I remember being almost frozen, feeling his eyes were locked onto me. He left the second window and headed back toward the first. I somehow managed to move, running to the stairway in the corner of the room that led up to the bedroom of Mum's friends. I burst in and shouted that there was a man outside looking in.

Once over the initial surprise of me waking them in such a panic, the husband, a large man in his own right jumped up, summoned his eldest son who was a couple years older than me, found two cricket bats and marched down the stairs. The rest of the family and myself followed warily. My mother, having been woken by the commotion, met us at the bottom of the stairs having just been passed in the hallway by her best friends half-naked husband, toting a cricket bat and marching out into the storm. I explained what happened but could tell my Mother was in equal parts sceptical as she was shocked.

We waited for what seemed like an eternity in the darkness as no one thought, or perhaps dared, to turn on a light. Mum's friend tried to reassure us it was just a late night traveller who had broken down or got lost. Her husband and son returned after a minute or two. The husband went as far to get changed and check the grounds before he hopped in his car and drove the road a couple miles in both directions.

There was nothing. There had been no sound of a car leaving the driveway or any physical evidence of anyone being outside. This did little to reassure me and I was unable to shake the feeling of being watched that had originally woke me.

We managed a fitful night sleep before we gathered our things to set out the next morning. My mother was convinced I had imagined the whole thing and told her friends so by way of apology. This annoyed me at first although I knew it was the most logical explanation for them as no one else had saw the figure. Looking to forget the whole experience I did not argue the matter. As Mum said her goodbyes I went and snapped a picture of the house before returning to find her waiting by the car and ready to go.

I quickly popped my head in the house to say my own goodbyes and apologised for waking them last night. Our car horn sounded and the husband remarked Mum was getting impatient which is not like her. I shrugged it off at first but the car horn kept sounding with two long continuous beeps and a third and final one which was a good bit shorter.

I went to the side of the house to where our car was parked, it hadn't moved and sat with all the doors closed apart from the passenger door on the driver's side which was wide open. It was as I got close to the car that I saw Mum, slumped over the steering wheel.

Frantically I pulled open the door and tried to shake her awake. I found the pulse on her neck which seemed strong but she seemed to be completely unconscious. I pulled her out of the car and shouted for help as I carried her into the house.

I set her on the same couch I slept on the night before and with the help of her friend tried to bring her around from what we assumed was a random fainting spell. Thankfully she revived quite quickly and within the hour was ready to hit the road. Her friends were more than happy to let us stay for the day but she was keen to get home and I was keen not to spend another night there.

My Mother loves big, expensive steel wristwatches and she was wearing her Brietling Chronomat when all this happened. As were leaving she noticed the time on her watch had frozen at what must have been very close to the same time she fell unconscious.

She didn't remember passing out or even getting in the car and said little about it, appearing to be more concerned over her watch stopping. It was only on the way home the question finally occurred to me for the first time; why had the passenger door been open?

Mum at the house: http://i.imgur.com/000Lb7v.jpg

The Next Morning: http://i.imgur.com/pzmdPMK.jpg

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Stevelegend98, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-08-15)
Oh, Stevelegend98 took our critiques seriously everyone! Our sarcasm about his inconsistent timeline has not been in vain!

He's taken the narrative and republished it on July 6th, 2016, with several of our corrections, but he's still got the same pair of photographs in it. It's story #11 on this website: www.writingforums.org/threads/creepy-unexplainable-happenings.147042/

At least he (as "ShannonH" of Northern Ireland) has submitted it to a writing workshop website this time ๐Ÿ˜‰.
-Biblio.
lexi-loo (1 stories) (175 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-03)
WiniPu4 I have just finished reading this story and then all the comments... I used to watch 'to buy or not to buy' which she is a presenter but could not for the life of me remember her name until seeing your comment last but in NO way least
WiniPu4 (207 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-02)
Hello:

I am not normally critical of stories (even outrageous ones); however, after viewing "The Wanderer" on Reddit, I noticed yet another version called "The Airfield Whisperers" on Reacttant (& another version on Rebrn). All the stories contain the frozen watch, the fainting "mum", a dutiful son, and the hot mum pic-- within a different storyline:

Http://www.reacttant.com/r/nosleep/comments/3euh8f/the_airfield_whispers

Stevelegend98:
Your "mum" happens to be UK celebrity Melissa Porter:
"Mum, Broadcaster, Property developer, Writer and NLP coach"; all according to her website:

Http://www.melissa-porter.com/

AND, according to her Wiki profile you must be only five years old, with the name "Pierce"...

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melissa_Porter)

As pointed out by someone on reddit:

"oh, hey Pierce (aka u/DolorousSpud), says on your mum's wikipedia page that you're only 5, is she really ok with you being on reddit?) "

So...WHICH is it; stevelegend98 (YGS), DolorousSpud (reddit), OR Pierce Porter (Wiki)? If you are Pierce (5 y/o), I strongly suggest you contact your father on FB since he is desperately attempting to reunite with you, after an acrimonious split between your folks. Should I define acrimonious since you are only five?:

Https://www.facebook.com/groups/133099563553197/

Normally I simply ignore this sort of nonsense. I guess it made me feel foolish to take time away from a loved one with stage iv metastatic pancreatic cancer in order to read the story and respond the first time. I enjoy reading stories that I assume are truthful, and I don't like the negativity I feel when facts don't check out. I don't think anyone enjoys wasting their precious time by being defrauded.
Why not write for a fictional site where others expect and appreciate exactly that?

Admin:
I WISH YOU COULD DELETE POSTERS SUCH AS THIS & OTHERS THAT ARE PROVABLE FRAUDS. ENOUGH TIME WASTED ON THIS DISHONEST...*ahem*..."PERSON".
Johnny_Blart (24 posts)
-1
9 years ago (2015-08-10)
lady-glow:
Looks like I missed Donut's ride...
You guys might have enjoyed a lot
My Bad๐Ÿ˜ข
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-09)
Rookdygin: I hope the tank of the bus is full... The last ride was very long thanks to DeathByDonut's stories! ๐Ÿ˜†
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-09)
One of the sites I work at I get to see humming birds and road runners... Have NOT seen a coyote however.

Sardines are not really my type of fish... But sense we have the grill out how does some black tip shark steak sound... With butter and capers?

Puff

(I've been driving all night, My band's wet on the wheel. There's a voice in my head that drives my heal. It's my baby callin' Says I need you here. And it's half past four and I'm shifting gears...)
Johnny_Blart (24 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-09)
Oh jeez...
Did I miss the bus?
No, I won't miss the party (Drives to Seaside) especially the Sardine Pasta. Tweed, You have got a lot of work because I am a gluttony eater LOL ๐Ÿ˜†
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-09)
Tweed, love is so powerful! And he had a very cool brain. I was told by a medium that he is doing things with color and vectors and probably fractal geometry. He and I talked a lot about a lot. โค
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-09)
Hecate, that is truly remarkable, wow, just wow. I wonder *how* on earth he does it.
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-09)
Sardine pasta! Got it! No Salad. I like Waldorf, too.

I'll report on hummie sightings. Every time I talk on the phone with a very dear friend on the east coast, hummingbirds dance at her window where she sits. She marvels every time because they never do it otherwise. ๐Ÿ˜Š
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-09)
Aww hummingbirds, man that's so beautiful! I love hummingbirds ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Oddly enough the smell of sardines when I'm not hungry makes me want to barf haha.

Salad? Yugh, no way, this is pasta. I can't be dealing with no salad. Roast vegies are where it's at. The only salad I like is Waldorf, I make my own mayonnaise, that and Tabbouleh.
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-09)
Such poets - lol!

I will see a hummingbird later. That is one of my Dad's "I'm here" signs. I have been on my patio a lot lately. I am sure he will thank you for the sardine salad. He loved them. I cringe at the memory of the smell. Sorry. ๐Ÿ˜Š
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-09)
They really outdid themselves with 'la la'.

They're actually the only meat I eat. I'm like a vegetarian who has it in for sardines.
I'll make some extra for your dad.โค
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-09)
Thanks for the la la part Tweed! Has me in stitches. Never been a sardine person. My dad would be all over that. ๐Ÿ˜Š
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-09)
la la la laaa lala la la la... Now I'll have that stuck in my head. I much prefer Ventura Highway, lovely song.

All this seafood talk has inspired me to make my sardine pasta dish, any takers?
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-09)
But it didn't feel good to be out of the rain.

I had to sit and sing it... ๐Ÿ˜Š
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-09)
Hecate,

Were you lost on a horse with no name? ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

Respectfully,

Rook
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-09)
I got lost in the desert for a bit. Seaside sounds grand. My son is 6'2", he'll hand the key down to all of us.

Tomasina Route8

I'm from rural New Hampshire, so our street just had a route number. Lol I stepped in cow chips before, Tweed. We used to throw the dry ones.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-09)
Ohh magic bus!

I stepped in some BS by that farm house and went cow tipping. Now, with a clean change of clothes, and a stampede of annoyed cows giving chase, I run to thee and welcome the sea change!
Barker Park ready to PAR-TAY
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-08-09)
Gosh darn! Why have I never noticed that pole hook? ๐Ÿ˜† Take heart, Biblio - you tower over me. Like I tell the Amazons around me - if it weren't for short folks NOBODY would be tall. Besides when I stand up my feet touch the floor so - pfft- I'm plenty tall enough!
Ohhhh! The seaside! I haven't been in FOREVER!
I'll bring lots of marshmallows, chocolate bars and grahams so we can make s'mores.
Hurry Hecate and Tweed!
Rebel Racine on board!
Johnny_Blart (24 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-09)
Rook:
Thanks for the info
By the way I am Shadow Karad then. LOL๐Ÿ˜†

If Biblio is 5 '6" and can't reach the key then I need to bring a ladder here.

Who wish to have a Grilled Tuna Fish made specially on Beach side BBQ? Hurry guys or else you will find me and Rook licking our fingers...

Shadow Karad๐Ÿ˜†
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-09)
Johnny,

First you must take the name of your first pet (in my case Puff) and combine it with the name of the street name (home address) of where you were born (in my case Bayram)

So, I am Puff Bayram and the pole hook for the keys is right...here...

Got Em...

Great Catches by everyone, well done indeed. BS Blankies are in the rear of the Bus. I am so glad we got the supply of extra LARGE ones for this summer season.

Speaking of which, anybody mind if we have our picnic down by the seaside, fresh grilled seafood sounds wonderful! ๐Ÿ˜†

I had noticed the different pictures for the home, but was only able to follow the link to the 'tan' home 'once' and thought it may have been an 'incorrect redirect' so I didn't mention anything about that. As far as the picture of 'Mom' goes I thought it looked a bit posed... Like the reason for the picture was to show off the watch... Could that have been clipped from an advertisement?

So...Troll Patrol Sound Off! Puff Bayram ready to roll, shall we have a Beach Picnic?

Puff Bayram
Johnny_Blart (24 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-09)
Biblio:
What do you mean by bus key?

If you are planning to give picnic to us, then book me a seat (kidding LOL)
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-09)
Oooh!
I get to choose... It looks like picnic weather to me!

Of course, that's If someone can reach the damn bus key. I made it to 5'6" (I'm the shortest it is possible to be and to claim "average" height, whatever that means), though I honestly seldom give a damn. I want to know how much effort tall people put into getting tall; it's not as much work as learning to be a sculptor, a surgeon, a pianist, or an airline pilot, is it?

Thanks, Tweed & Val, for supplying the details I missed in my eagerness to be sarcastic. I guess that means you get to vote on beach vs. Countryside.

-Biblio.
Johnny_Blart (24 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-08)
Tweed:
I completely agree with you, the link provided in comments and that in story give different images of house.
And the lady looks familiar to me.
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+2
9 years ago (2015-08-08)
OOOPS! Color me red. She is the wrong pronoun for Biblio... So sorry.
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-08)
Val, and Biblio is probably tall enough to reach the key. He can choose the menu. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Hecate
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-08)
Tweed: I made my comparison by the thing (bird or plane) in the sky. This is something that wouldn't be duplicated if the photos were taken at different times.

So, what's up with that Stevelegend?
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-08)
Yes, Hecate, Rook drives the bus,usually. I know where the key is kept but it's too high up for me to reach ๐Ÿ˜œ. I'm pretty sure he's busy researching that quandary of ours too. Since Biblio did the uncovering of this, I think she should get to choose - picnic or BBQ?
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-08)
Nice job Biblio, Val and all! Probably blankie time. Does Rook usually drive the bus?

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: