You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Ghost At Gold Camp Road

Real Ghost Stories

A Ghost At Gold Camp Road

 

Here is my first story, hope you all enjoy!

This is not my first encounter with the paranormal; however, it is my first sighting of an apparition. This story is true and there are several witnesses that can attest to this happening who were present during what took place.

Gold Camp Road is notorious in the Springs (Colorado Springs) for 2 main reasons:

1) Partying. It is an isolated and mostly unsupervised area and as such is frequently used as a location for teenagers to drink, smoke pot, and blare music.

2) Paranormal activity. There are many stories regarding the area ranging from an infamous "bus crash" (which never actually happened) and apparitions, as well as mildly demonic or malevolent activity. There is a history of car crashes and murders as well as people dropping off murdered bodies over the cliff into the Cheyenne Canyon area below. Taking this into consideration, many people come out of skeptical interest and curiosity of the unknown to see if the tales are true.

It was a normal Friday night and I was with my friend J (I'll call him that for the story as I don't want to release his personal info on the web out of respect). We were bored out of our minds and after the hookah we set up had died we needed something to do. We wanted to go to a party but realized we both lacked the "hook ups" to get an address- I know we're lame- and so we thought of places we could come across a get together. Gold Camp was brought up and soon after I drove us up there.

We came to a pull-off before one of the tunnels that overlooked the city and parked next to some cars that were loudly blasting music. Some college-aged kids were drinking beers, smoking, and generally chilling and we were quickly invited to join them.

At a little after midnight, the music was turned down and everyone was either in the cars or outside in a huddled group talking about life and joking around. I was in the middle of a conversation when I heard what sounded like the faint clinking of metal chains and a sort of dragging sound. As it got louder, I decided to investigate the source.

The sound grew louder near a sign by the edge of the road. As I peered over the edge I took note that it was a cliff and would be impossible to get down without serious injury so the fact that a sound was rising up was astonishing to me. My thoughts jumped to "who would be down there and how did they get there?" and even more worryingly, "did someone fall down and need help?"

Before I could say anything, a large and dark figure arose from the edge a mere 10 feet away from me. It appeared to be a tall man (like 6'5") shrouded in a white tattered cloak or sheet and wrapped in chains. At first I thought it was a guy trying to scare us and prank us because I knew of the tales of the area but one thing struck me as odd that made me keep a serious complexion: the man had NO FACE. In addition to not having a face I thought he was black at first but soon realized his body was composed of what appeared to be a shadowy mist. He looked like someone had wrapped his body in a sheet and wrapped chains around it before throwing it down the hill and downwind from this figure was a terrible stench like sweat and mild decay. I couldn't even believe my eyes.

The figure began slowly trudging towards the road dragging chains behind him and each footstep making a loud "thud" as if he was wearing boots. The group outside I had left to investigate went silent and we all watched the apparition in fascination and bewilderment as it slowly walked along the road not looking back.

I made sure everyone else was seeing what I saw and summoned the courage to follow the apparition with the intent to see if it was really what it appeared to be and not some guy dressed up being dramatic. He walked slowly but his strides were huge so I had to walk quickly to keep up with his pace. I followed him for about 30 feet when he suddenly stopped.

He slowly turned towards the edge of the road with the cliff but there were bushes and trees at this stretch of the road for about 10 feet before the edge. I loudly said "Hello!" trying to communicate with this strange man and he took two steps into the bushes and disappeared into thin air in a cloud of mist. Just like that. Gone.

I walked back and told the others what I had seen and they could hardly believe it. We all talked for another half hour about what we had seen before parting our ways.

All in all, it was an interesting night and despite the other's sobriety rendering them less credible, I was completely sober (since I was driving) and saw it clear as day. I have yet to witness another apparition as clear and real as the one I saw that night but it definitely got me further interested in the paranormal and I will always remember the man with the chains. My only wish was that I could have learned more about the apparition and its story but perhaps I'll see it again when I decide to go back up there!

Other hauntings by FC_DUB

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Colorado

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, FC_DUB, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Telltaletv (2 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-15)
FC_DUB, I read with interest your story. I'm working on a UK-based television series seeking first hand accounts of paranormal experiences such as this. Would you be willing to talk to me on the phone about this?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Donnagabriel [at] me.com
Www.telltale.tv
FC_DUB (3 stories) (10 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-04-15)
UPDATE: I have recently purchased an emf/temperature reader and a nice video cam with night vision and will be returning to Gold camp for another investigation in the near future! Results will be posted for sure 😁 thank you all for the feedback and I look forward to hopefully finding evidence that will lead to an exciting continuation of this story
Matchu (14 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-12-10)
Great story! Seeing a full aparition even if its residual must have been exciting and scary especially after realizing it wasn't a prank. If you go back to the same place post any results please will be looking forward to any future posts!
Ibelieveit (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-09)
I saw this thing too! I just saw it last night with my friends and we all saw it. There was five of us with 2 cars and 2 DDs completely sober. We heard the chains rattling by the overlook it was very late at night sometime past 2 AM I'm pretty sure. At first I thought he was just a huge guy with a marshmallow suit and a ski mask but he didn't speak to us at all and when I walked into the road to see where he went he was gone but I still heard the chains. I don't know if DUB and I are overreacting but I know that DUB is telling the truth. I saw it last night and googled "man with chains gold camp" and it was a perfect description of what we saw.
TRUCK (25 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-14)
With how there was no reaction to you or the others this sounds like a residual haunting. Kind of like a tape being played over and over. If you can remember the date it would be interesting to go back at the same time this year and also at various others to see what happens.

As for following it I can't fault you, I would have done the same thing!
FC_DUB (3 stories) (10 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-12)
Thanks bloodshot!

I only followed the apparition because I honestly believed it was someone messing around trying to scare us! I'm glad it didn't attach itself to me either! I have a couple of creepy instances that took place in my house I'll probably end up posting here when I find the chance 😊
bloodshoteyez (3 stories) (31 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-11)
Hey FC,

I am truly amazed by your story. Though to be honest I want to question why the heck follow a faceless man covered in chains. I will be absolutely terrified myself.

You are lucky it did not attached itself to you or had not sent you any messages in your dreams, some ghosts do that.

Anyways the way you narrated your story made me feel I am witnessing the specter myself. Do share more of your stories;)

-BloodShot-
thesingingbri (4 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-11)
OH MAN! I Live in COLORADO SPRINGS TOOOOOO! And I have had some creepy experiences up there! Also on Old Stage road just the other day! I'm tellin ya! It's creepy in the rocky mountains! We did the whole "bus/car" trick with the flower and handprints and there were handprints... But... Iafter some investigation, come to find it was ours haha. Good luck up there! I reccommend bringing people with you,. And If you ever bonfire up there, don't wander to go to the bathroom by yourself! On top of Ghosts, there are animals and homeless people up there!
FC_DUB (3 stories) (10 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-11)
rookydygin

No worries!

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a picture and to my knowledge nobody else snapped one either. We all honestly thought it was someone dressed up as a prank to scare us until he disappeared into thin air. I didn't really put 2 and 2 together until I saw it vanish and at that point I wished I had some form of proof such as a picture or video!
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-11)
Thank you FC... Had to verify... Not everybody equates the DD with being sober (from everything)...most of the time it just means the individual did not DRINK...

This is an 'extream' account... Seen by many, sound effects (just a term) and a full body 'manifestation'. Did anybody attempt to get a picture while this was happening?

Respectfully,

Rook
FC_DUB (3 stories) (10 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-11)
rookydygin,

It was a tobacco hookah not a bong 😜

I would agree, the story would lose credibility if I had been under the influence, but since I was the DD of the night I remained sober from all but the relaxing effects of nicotine!
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-11)
Final question... Was it a tobacco Hookah or was something 'else' being smoked? (Not trying to be rude...)

Yes it makes a difference.

Respectfully,

Rook
FC_DUB (3 stories) (10 posts)
+4
9 years ago (2015-08-11)
Thanks for reading my story guys! The time of year this happened was last November so it was a little chilly outside but not enough for locals like myself to wear anything more than a light jacket.

Valkricry, hookah gives you a buzz similar to a cigarette but a little stronger, lasts longer (around an hour) and is great for relaxing with your buds😁

I know it seems hard to believe to some but it's one of those things that's really easy to dismiss until you've witnessed it firsthand. Had it been a real person it could have gone badly but like valkicry pointed out, I was within earshot of the group still when I followed the apparition.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+3
9 years ago (2015-08-11)
Rook, he doesn't give a time of year - just a Friday night and it was after Midnight.
Question: You mention a Hookah... How long did the influence of that last? Just curious. Seriously: I've next to no knowledge about those things.

The woods... Sorry guys, but I don't see where DUB says he followed it INTO the woods. He states "He slowly turned towards the edge of the road with the cliff but there were bushes and trees at this stretch of the road for about 10 feet before the edge. I loudly said "Hello!" trying to communicate with this strange man and he took two steps into the bushes and disappeared into thin air in a cloud of mist. Just like that. Gone." To me this sounds logical, as he was trying to find out if it was a hoax or not. Seriously, if he hadn't done that most of us would have been saying "You should have followed it and tried to debunk your experience." PLUS he states he followed for about 30 feet. That's only like 3 average sized room lengths. Plenty close to the others present to hear him call for help or to be seen (depending on the lighting).
Http://www.examiner.com/article/infamous-ghosts-of-gold-camp-road tells a bit about the history of the place.
From this article I gather the area is a favored 'dumping ground' for bodies. So...it's possible DUB saw something.
I buy it.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-11)
Hi FC,

I would have not too many years ago read this story and thought 'pffft, urban legend'.
Now that I'm wiser, I don't find this sort of thing hard to believe at all. Yes it sounds incredible. But why? Because we weren't there and have a hard time picturing what happened.
Given the circumstances, lay of the land, populated area, I would have followed it too, providing I felt relatively safe and didn't get a bad feeling from the ghost. Yet I would keep my distance at the same time.
The *way* this story is told, the *feel* of it is honest to me.

FC, I hope all this banter hasn't put you off replying. 😊
DonutIsBack (12 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-11)
FC:
You are very lucky that you werent hurt by the ghost. While reading it, I thought that the story ends with some kind of harm to you
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-10)
Not so sure about the BS meter but more the... Misinterpreted scale perhaps...

Running off ALONE into to the woods IS a bad idea, I will grant you that... But again I point out the number of witnesseses present... At least according (sp?) to the O/P.

Drats I did not check to see what time of year the O/P says this happened... Anybody got an idea... My tablet is horrid for backpageing...

Respectfully,

Rook
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
9 years ago (2015-08-10)
Actually, I kind of liked this story. If it's bs, then so be it. I fell for another one LOL But as far as sounding legit, it does to me.

A lot of people I know would, myself included, would go look for whatever it was to find out one way or another if what they saw was real or a hoax.
ZulaGirl (50 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-10)
I don't know, Rook, there are elements of this story that ping pretty high on the bs meter.

Maybe it's worth considering that it might just be a mothman in a monkey suit. Who knows?

Anyway, I think we can agree that it is pretty much always a bad idea to chase scary things into the woods at night just to get a better look.

ZG
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-10)
Ummm, Zula...

Had the O/P been stabbed I doubt he would be sharing his experience on YGS... Just a thought... Besides according to the 'story' there were plenty of witnesses.

Respectfully,

Rook
ZulaGirl (50 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-10)
Why would you chase after it? I'm surprised this story didn't end with you getting stabbed.
FC_DUB (3 stories) (10 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-07)
I don't know the precise history but there have been car crashes from people driving off the cliff and it's said you can see a ghost of a man driving a really old car up there! I also considered the possibility the apparition was someone who was thrown down wrapped up in the sheet and chains! People say local murderers and crooks drop off their victims there because they're too much trouble to find and in the couple of times I've been there I've come across signs of restless and malevolent energies likely due to the murders and accidents up there. I know there's been several stabbings at parties and reports of rape and all sorts of horrible stuff. If you hike down in the canyon below, you can find old car parts and there's supposedly an indian burial ground in the area. Next time I go up I'll conduct a small EVP session and share the results! 😁
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-06)
FC_DUB, do you know any of the real history of the place? I wonder if someone was actually thrown over the cliff wrapped in a sheet and chains... Have you been back there?

Thanks for sharing!
Hecate
Wardo (8 stories) (171 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-06)
What a night! I would actually love to see a passer by, you know? One that had no impact on me, but to further my belief in the paranormal.

This story honestly has me quite intrigued. Thanks for sharing, and keep us up to date if you decide to go back there!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: