You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Man In Our House

Real Ghost Stories

The Man In Our House

 

This happened about 4/5 years ago. I live in South Africa, Western Cape, Cape Town in a 3 bedroom old style brick house. Let me paint you a picture of our house. It has a large living room with high window from the ground up until the ceiling, with a fireplace and knotty pine high ceilings. The living room enters into an open plan dining room. The dining room leads into the kitchen. The kitchen has 3 doors: 1st door leads to the dining room, 2nd door leads to the passageway and 3rd door is the back door. The passage runs in a mirrored Z which has my gran's room right opposite the kitchen door and the other 2 rooms, with one is my mom's and the other mine and my sister's, at the back with the bathroom and toilet.

I was standing in front of the sink in the kitchen talking to my mum, who was sitting at the kitchen table, when out the corner of my eye I can see a dark figure walking past the kitchen door in the passage in the direction of the bathroom. The figure had the same body build as my boyfriend (now husband) and looked like a black fleece top which my husband likes to wear a lot. I went into the living room to ask my husband (still asleep at the time) if he had just gone to the bathroom, which he informed me that he had not and he was wearing his t-shirt. I must add that the figure did not give me a harmful or threatening feeling because I thought it was my husband.

My mom around the same time scolded us because when she went to the bathroom the light was always on. We informed her that we always put off the lights (as we were raised to save energy). I do not know if this has anything to do with the dark figure or if it was just a light malfunction.

After that experiences there has not been any weird happenings up to date.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Nataschalo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Goggzy (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-17)
As it was out of the corner of your eye please do not believe that you saw something what you should do is stand in the same spot and get your mother to walk about and it could have just been someone's shadow or your husband having a joke or sleepwalking. But it does hit me as a residual type haunt as it hasn't happened again. The lights that's a little more difficult could be faulty wiring or again a residual or intelligent haunting, try watching it and see if at a certain time of night it turns on,
strawman1 (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-17)
Most likely it was your husband sleepwalking or having a little fun with you.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-13)
Hi Nataschalo,

That green light thing sounds very intriguing. As for the figure who resembled your b/f now husband, well yeah that could be a number of things. I wonder sometimes if we can experience a sleep walking out of body moment. In this instance it may have been your husband. Since he wore those clothes enough, or liked to wear them, maybe that's what his ghost wears as an unconscious 'default'. This is all just my own wondering about this kind of thing.
The light being left on in the bathroom, may be the doing of a ghost. Perhaps a ghost who favoured the bathroom light being left on over night? Some people do this to make it easier getting up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. Maybe a ghost who used to do this in that home. Or a ghost who *wanted* you to leave that light on. Perhaps to protect you from whatever (guessing here) was making the living room feel uncomfortable. That if something wanted to scare anyone, having a light on in the middle of the night was a way to make everyone feel more comfortable.
Nataschalo (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-13)
Valricry, the only weird thing that happened was when I was in Grade 7 and one of my friends slept over. I had bunk beds and we slept on the bottom. We woke up in the middle of the night with this bright green lightning that was shooting up the wall were we were sleeping to the ceiling. The next day we told my mom and she had a look to see if no wires run pas that wall, but could not find any.

My gran-dads ashes are still in the house but that gives us a calming feeling.

I will ask my gran if she had any weird experiences in the house.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-08-12)
Nataschalo,
Was this the only experience you had in that house? Besides the creepy vibe you got in the living room?
Since you state this was 4 or 5 years ago, and nothing's happened since, I wouldn't worry over it. There really isn't enough information to make a clear call on this - what you saw may have been several different scenarios. Of course there's the obvious you imagined/ hallucinated it. Then too, it might have been a spirit just passing by, or a residual.
Nataschalo (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-12)
Our living room always had this weird feeling and I hate going in there at night. One of my grans friends once saw my great grandad in the living room sitting in a chair (this big blue lazyboy rocking chair) and she explained him to my gran and she has never seen my grandad before and could exactly explain him.

No bad history my gran is the first to live in our house since it was build.

Thank you sheetal and lady-glow for commenting.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-12)
It could have been an hallucination, but I would not discard the possibility of an out of body experience or a living residual. 😕

I'm sure some of the more experienced members will share his/her opinion giving us the chance to learn more about this subject.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to YGS.
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-12)
That's an interesting story Nataschalo... Does your house has any bad history? But I strongly say that this could be some hallucination... Just my thought 😁

Thanks for sharing

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: