You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: A Visit From The Grave

Real Ghost Stories

A Visit From The Grave

 

This happened about 5years ago.

I'm actually an American Indian and moved to the U.K. With my boyfriend. In India there is a practice of offering our love and respect through small rituals in the sea for our family members who had passed away, especially in Kerala.

So me and my boyfriend went to Kerala to do this for my bestie who was also a distant cousin. She passed away due to cancer 8 years ago.

Since we're Christians I couldn't do it in the sea but I placed the ritual flowers on her grave. Ryan, my boyfriend, didn't come with me to her grave so I had to go there alone.

The thing is she only talked to me about her family problems so we had an intimate connection and after her death I always felt her with me wherever I went. But this time I didn't felt like that. But anyway I placed those flowers and turn around. What I saw did shocked me.

Behind Ryan who was on his phone, was a black shadow in the form of a girl.

Her head was swinging to the sides as she approached him. Something told me to run towards him and I did it, but it was gone when I was near. It nearly freaked me out and Ryan thought I was playing with him and it made me cry because it was her... My bestie.

This was a true experience with her and I never got any visit from her after that. I need to know what everyone thinks of this because no one believed me about this.

I'd appreciate your help and respect your comments whatever it will be.

I have other experience but this was the most recent one.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, creepyedge, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-29)
😲 What happened?! Why do people delete their account for no apparent reason?! I was looking forward to Creepyedge finding the time to comment us back on a few things. Humph! Guess we'll never know. 😕
creepyedge (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-28)
Tweed
You're right about the 'bestie' thing.
Sds
I'm a Christian and my cousin too...
My name is Alisha and her name is Anastacia.
😊
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-28)
Sds, thank you for the lovely complements!

Just want to let you know that the word "bestie" is an informal word used in English to describe a 'best friend'. It's not a Christian or Western name. 😊
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-27)
Hello Rook, you haven't started any "Flame War" and yes, Tweed, there are many Indians in this site. I think the O/P has written things that could have been more clear.

But Tweed, your first comment is the best and the backup for Rook is also excellent. I agree with both of your comments.

Coming to creepyedge, I welcome you to YGS and thanks for sharing.

I feel that what you saw was not Bestie. But with a name of Bestie, was she a Hindu? Quite strange. It appears like a Christian name to me.

Your gut feeling is what matters. I think I am saying this for the second time today. I don't think what you saw was your friend.

Well, you did not feel her presence after you planted flowers on the grave, that's what you said. I feel because your friend wanted you to know that she passed on and the moment you planted flower on the grave, she must have felt that you knew about it and said good bye to her in our Indian customary way and hence you wouldn't have felt her since then.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
creepyedge (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-27)
Well as rook has guessed he waited outside...
But her grave was the one near to the gate so I could see him
creepyedge (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-27)
Shrush
It's not injustice... A portion of the beach is only using for that and only on that day...
It's Varkala beach in Varkala, Kerala
Shrush (3 stories) (46 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-27)
creepyledge:
Thanks for the prompt reply.

Its sad that injustice is going on and on but nobody ever complained about it. There have been 5 such cases (A little different type) in India and action was taken upon them by government.
I would like to learn more about that place so could you please tell me the exact beach or city. I don't think it would be problem for you as you don't live there. But if you don't want to share, I won't mind.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-27)
creepyedge - could you please answer Rook's question about whether or not Ryan was there? Thank you.
creepyedge (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-27)
Shrush
On that particular day it is not allowed to go there. 😊
Any questions... You could definitely ask
Shrush (3 stories) (46 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-27)
creepyledge:
Wait... Do you mean that it is prohibited for anybody who doesn't belong to Hindu religion to enter the beach?

If yes, then you should know that it is your right to go anywhere you like and no religion can deprive you of your right.

If answer is no, then please ignore my above statement.

(No offence intended)
creepyedge (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-27)
Bigryan
Happy that you liked it 😊
And I haven't seen anything like that after that
creepyedge (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-27)
Sheetal,
You don't have to be sorry... 😊
You guys can ask anything...
I'll clear your doubt...
I'm an Indian but born in Ohio,USA.
I'm from a HIGHLY Orthodox Christian family.
This ritual thing is done on a particular new moon day and in Malayalam language (if you know that) it is called 'karkkidava vavu' or 'vavu bali'
No other religions are expected to be on the beach except Hindus...
So I got one of my Hindu friend to do this and the poojari gave her the flowers and SHE gave it to me and I placed it on the grave
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-26)
I wondered that too, sheetal. It sounded like she would have preferred the sea.
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
+3
9 years ago (2015-08-26)
Hey creepyedge... I am very sorry to ask but just one question Your cousin was Hindu or Christians?

''...In India there is a practice of offering our love and respect through small rituals in the sea for our family members who had passed away, especially in Kerala.'' this ritual is called as 'Pinddan' which is done by Hindu. And the next line you've wrote ''...I placed the ritual flowers on her grave.'' which is a Christian practice...

If she was Hindu then how her grave was made and if she is Christian then how you gave her 'pinddan'...

Was it a grave made on the place of her cremation?

P.S... Please I don't want to hurt anyone's sentiment just arrived this question in my mind when I re- read this story. I apologizes in advance. Please
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
9 years ago (2015-08-25)
granny - you are right about Native American's naming their tribe. Or at least a friend of mine does.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-08-25)
granny,

Touche my dear, touche. 😁

There is a VERY desticnt difference between American Indian and Native American.

Respectfully,

Rook
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+4
9 years ago (2015-08-25)
Rook: I believe the heritage of the O/P is inferred by the area the story takes place, the Indian ritual of remembrance, and the general syntax and linguistics of creepyedge. It is a pretty common misconception that one who is Indian is Hindi. They have as various and diverse religions/belief systems as we do here in the USA. I took the term "American Indian" to mean they are of Indian decent, born and raised in America. I believe if this person were Native American, they would have called themselves a Native, and also most likely would've named their tribe.😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+5
9 years ago (2015-08-25)
creepyedge - you may think Rook asks too many questions, but I have the same questions as he. When there could be a language barrier, or just typical online confusion, questions are asked to help reduce that confusion. And, as Tweed as stated, we run into way too many stories that are just that. Stories. So, regardless whether or not you feel Rook asks too many questions, I think his questions are valid.
creepyedge (guest)
-1
9 years ago (2015-08-25)
http://www.yourghoststories.com/user-profile.php?user=8155
I'll answer all your questions...
But I have very limited time in here...
Sorry...but you ask too much questions
creepyedge (guest)
+2
9 years ago (2015-08-25)
Uhhhhhhhhh...
First of all I apologize for being this late to actually see your comments
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-25)
No worries Rook. The racists I was referring to seem to want an 'all white Britain'. I feared the question "When did India become part of the UK?" would make you appear like one such thinker (eek!). But I'm pretty sure we've cleared the air.
Oh, the complexities of online banter! 😉
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-08-25)
On second thought I will only do that upon request. I hope I have been clear with what I meant... I did not mean to offend anybody... Just had a few questions, that's all.

Respectfully,

Rook
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+4
9 years ago (2015-08-25)
Tweed,

Thanks for having my back... You are very correct... I am not racist.

Having stated that the O/P begins their experience by stating...

"This happened about 5years ago.

I'm actually an American Indian and moved to the U.K. With my boyfriend."

Then the Naritive jumps directly to 'India'...

"In India there is a practice of offering our love and respect through small rituals in the sea for our family members who had passed away, especially in Kerala."

While there are those in ENGLAND (UK) who may wish India was still part of the BRITISH EMPIRE they have NOT been sense 1947, becasue this happened... The British Indian Empire was partitioned into two sovereign dominion states: the Union of India (later the Republic of India) and the Dominion of Pakistan (later the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, the eastern half of which, still later, became the People's Republic of Bangladesh.

So again I do not mean to offend but its been 68 years sense the UK Ruled India. Which is why I asked my question.

I believe the O/P Experienced SOMETHING... But some of the details had me scraching my head... So I asked a few questions My apologies I hope I did not start a 'FLAME WAR'.

Respectfully,

Rook

(P.S. I am going to find an older story and post a wee bit more... I have another point to make...)
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-08-25)
Phwoah O to the M to the G! This could get ugly! 😨

Jeesh Rook, cynical much?

I get it, hoaxers will run rampant, given the chance, but I do believe this is a case of reading between the lines of cultural grammar differences. But umm I REALLY need to pull you up on something you asked before the O/P potentially takes great offence!

Firstly Creepyedge, Rook is not racist!

Rook you said, (holy ghost!):

"My other question is when did India become part of the UK? (Just wondering?) "

Rook, there are Nazi worshipper idiot extremists in the UK who ask the same exact question in an entirely different context!
There's a thriving Indian and Pakistani population in England and probably elsewhere in the UK. So for someone from India to move to the UK is really very normal.
Regarding the boyfriend's exact location at the grave. I assume this walk to the grave had some religious significance, and it was the grave itself which the boyfriend couldn't attend, for reasons beyond my limited religious understanding.

Creepyedge, Rook is being pedantic regarding details because we have hoaxers on here sometimes. I hope you can recognise and forgive any misunderstandings.
Shrush (3 stories) (46 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-25)
Rookdygin:
Rule of East India company:- 1757-1858
Rule of British Empire:- 1858-1947

Thats what I got on Internet
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+4
9 years ago (2015-08-25)
granny,

Not to 'nit pick' but the O/P states this at the begining...

"I'm actually an American Indian and moved to the U.K. With my boyfriend."

So it seems she is a Native American transplant...OR...THE O/P is Indian (country) by Heritage but born in the US? My other question is when did India become part of the UK? (Just wondering?)

Creepyedge,

There are things I do not understand concerning your experience, so I am going to ask...

You state: "In India there is a practice of offering our love and respect through small rituals in the sea for our family members who had passed away, especially in Kerala.

So me and my boyfriend went to Kerala to do this for my bestie..."

But then you relate:

"Since we're Christians I couldn't do it in the sea but I placed the ritual flowers on her grave."

So is your bestie's grave in Kerala?

Next 'grey area' you state:

"Ryan, my boyfriend, didn't come with me to her grave so I had to go there alone."

So if you went alone how did this happen?

"But anyway I placed those flowers and turn around. What I saw did shocked me.

Behind Ryan who was on his phone, was a black shadow in the form of a girl.

Her head was swinging to the sides as she approached him."

So did you go alone or did he come to the cematary and wait at the car and you went to the grave alone?

I may just be a victume (sp?) of 'cultural grammer missunderstanding' so please do not be offened by my qustions.

As far as the 'spirit' you experienced... It does NOT sound like your bestie but your 'gut' served you well and you were able to 'protect' Ryan.

Here is a question for you, you state; "...after her death I always felt her with me wherever I went. But this time I didn't felt like that."

Did you have a dream about your friend two or three days before this experience? If so it may have been her way of telling you she was 'crossing over' and would not be 'constantly around' you any more. If you DID NOT have a dream about her then maybe your bestie doesn not approve of your boyfriend... But I 'feel' that is unlikly.

Thanks for sharing, please ask any questions you may have.

Respectfully,

Rook

(This 'experience' may be complete balderdash... But I believe the O/P did see, expereince something in the graveyard. Just saying... 😲)
Shrush (3 stories) (46 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-25)
creepyedge:
I completely agree with Tweed about the shadow swinging her head from side to side. When I read the story, I felt like I am reading a script of horror movie as in most movies the ghost swings her head when something bad is to happen (I know movies are fiction and don't believe them). I think that you did the right thing to run to your boyfriend.

According to my knowledge, the offering for love and respect are not in sea alone but at any water source which has a flowing water and it is usually carried out by offering the ashes when the body is burnt after death (I am talking about Hindus). I don't know much about Christianity and I wonder about the connection of sea rituals to that of offering flowers on grave. And also if you are a christian then why would you carry out a Hindu ritual?
(I maybe wrong about the information on rituals so please correct me if I am wrong)
(I am sorry if you think I have made an offence by asking you above question)
Migsestrella (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-25)
Creepy. Could it have been your distant cousin? Did any of the apparition's facial features match her description?
Caz (342 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-08-25)
Creepyedge...I have to say that I had exactly the same feeling as Tweed to this story when I read about the head swinging and your reaction! I couldn't help but feel there was something negative about this apparition! However... You said 'something told you' to run towards your boyfriend and the shadow girl disappeared, so I'm thinking perhaps that 'something' which prompted you to run could have been your bestie!
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+4
9 years ago (2015-08-25)
Creepyedge,

While reading your experience I grew perplexed and disturbed. I agree with the advice of Champion and insight of BigRyan. Yet I feel I should share my reaction with you.

The nature of what you saw, the movements of this individual, you feel it's your friend/distant cousin. While I am always on the side of peoples gut reactions, this was yours, I would like to ask you if you felt it could be someone else? Not your good friend. But anyone else, a random ghost linked to the graveyard for example.

I trust your judgement in recongnising the identity of your good friend. I ask you to consider another possibility ONLY in the interest of ruling out other causes. It strikes me as fitting that you would stop feeling your friend's presence around you after seeing this apparition behind your boyfriend. That this was, as others have said, her way of saying goodbye. But what bothers me is her movements and that it disturbed you enough for you to rush to your boyfriend. Furthermore you express a reluctance of those around you to believe what happened, which must be very upsetting. Both disturbing experience and lack of support has brought you to a paranormal website seeking solace and answers.
For the record I was frightened for you to read what you saw. There's something about the movements you described which has pinged my radar in the negative spectrum. I dearly hope I'm wrong.

Okay, I'd like to throw this out to all the Indian folk on here, (thankfully there are many!), can anyone shed some light on this? I'm a Westerner with very little knowledge of Indian beliefs, culture and spirituality. I'm wondering if this woman's movements, head swinging side to side, is relevant in any Indian culture?

Creepyedge, hopefully we can pull together and get to the bottom of this for you.

Thanks for sharing with us, and sorry you've had such a rough time with this.

Take care.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: