You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My House Is Haunted?

Real Ghost Stories

My House Is Haunted?

 

So this is a story about the haunting experiences I have had in my old house that I lived in from the age of 8 to 14. Besides the paranormal experiences, this was my favorite house that I have ever lived in. So I live in a big family, there are six kids total and I am the second oldest. The other residents of this house were my mom, dad and granny plus our 2 dogs, 1 cat, 15 chickens and my sister's bunny (which smelled HORRIBLE).

So this particular house was older (built in the early 1930s they think) it has 3 stories, 5 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. It was a BEAUTIFUL house. Me and my sister Elizabeth shared a room, she is two years older than me. She is now 17 but she was 10 when we moved in. And that was the first room I noticed weird things happening in.

It was 2 months after we had moved in and me and Elizabeth were playing a game (I don't remember what game) but we heard a knock at the door but the door was open so I figured it was our brothers. So I got up to tell them to go away but nobody was there and when I confronted them about it they said they didn't do it (which they may have but I don't know).

Then a few days after this occurred I was going out to feed the chickens and the back door was already open... Now being the wimpy little 8 year old that I was this scared the crap out of me because nobody else had been outback that morning. So every time I had to feed the chickens I made my brother go check if the door was open, AND I DID THAT FOR 5-6 MONTHS.

So the next haunting was when I was was getting on the bus for school. As I sat down I looked out at our house and one of the windows was open and it was the one in Granny's room. Granny was very sick and couldn't leave bed... I never told anybody this but when I came home it was still open and none of my siblings noticed so I just ran up to the room and closed it and asked granny, who had woken up, if she had opened it and she said no. That's all I can remember from that year.

My favorite room was always the dining room. It was painted a light yellow, with dark brown wooden floors that creaked a little. It had lots of big windows but it was the most haunted room. It was were I always did my homework there by myself. Everybody else went to their rooms. But one day when I was sitting with my feet up on the chair and I heard creaking as if somebody was walking. I looked around but there were no sign of anyone. I just froze as the creaking continued. Our dog Danny (he is a black and tan hound) was laying next to my chair but he sat up and started growling, then the creaking stopped. After that day I did my homework in my room.

When I was about 12 I was making myself a sandwich and I love mustard so I opened the door to the fridge and looked at the condiments and it wasn't there so I checked the whole fridge and no sign. My brother Josh is the only other person in the house who likes mustard so I asked him If we ran out or if he left it on the counter and our dog Izzie ate it (that has happened before and Izzie is a Husky btw). He said no so I went back to the kitchen and there it was. Sitting on top of the fridge was the mustard.

Another night when I was 13 it was like 1:00 am and Elizabeth was at a friend's so I was by myself in our room that night. I was watching Twilight I think. Our room was set up with 2 twin size beds with the headboards against the wall and the foot of it coming out, with our bedside tables in between them. Then on the opposite wall was our TV and dressers on either side. The wall in between those two was the wall with the door and all of Elizabeth's artwork and her stupid bunny cage, and the wall opposite of that had one big window and our wardrobe that we hung our shirts in.

My bed was closest to the window so I always looked out it at night but as I was watching my movie, I was getting tired. So I rolled over on my side facing it and I saw a reflection of the outline of a man. My parents were asleep and it was too tall to be my brothers so I rolled over and it was gone. I got very little sleep that night. When I woke up the door was open, I was sure I closed it.

When Elizabeth got home I told her about it and she believed me. She actually told me that one night around 2:30am I was asleep but she was awake listening to music and the wardrobe doors and a couple of the dresser drawers opened a little bit all on their own. We didn't tell our parents, actually we still never have. This is all I will share for now but stay tuned for more.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, dancing_rose13, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

dancing_rose13 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-22)
Hey Guys I am very sorry for not answering until now I feel really bad. But anyways some of ya'll suggested talking to my parents & I have thought about it but my parents do not believe in any form of paranormal activity so I feel like if I tell them they will think I'm insane. So about the window in my granny's room, yeah I feel really stupid about that now because it turns out Elizabeth had opened it... And about my feelings, well none of it ever really scared me except for the dinning room thing and then another event that happened (I will publish it soon) And about the shadowy outline of a man thingy well I noticed it also kind of smelled like cologne (which did not smell good in my opinion) And I have some more stories from Elizabeth to publish as well. Until next time -DR
ZulaGirl (50 posts)
-1
9 years ago (2015-08-30)
This sounds like a pretty low-grade, run-of-the-mill haunting (AKA lots of energy with no place to go). In a way, I guess you could be glad; you got to experience a small haunting, but were never hurt or severely psychologically traumatized (the tone of your story conveys more curiousity and inquisitiveness than outright fear and loathing). In this way, you get the benefit of being able to see and relate by having had your eyes opened a bit without having had them burned out. 😉

Anyway, if I had to guess, it sounds like Elizabeth might be the most psychic in the family. From your story, the most intense experiences seemed to happen around her and the space she occupied. I'm going to guess that your abilities and experiences were second only to hers, at least among your siblings.

Have you or she dealt with any other hauntings since? How about your parents? You did not mention them. Have they been plagued by hauntings? Was this one in a series of haunted houses or the only one?
Wardo (8 stories) (171 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-27)
Welcome to YGS Dancing Rose! I liked reading your story, and thank you for sharing! I agree with lady-glow that some of the things were not necessarily paranormal. I too would like to know how you felt about these things and if you noticed a change in the way you felt when these things happened.

I'm not saying that they weren't paranormal experiences, just that it is possible there were other causes, such as the creaks and the door and window being open. The shadow you saw and the knock you heard seem somewhat significant in my mind, and your sister's experience in your room, too.

Pay attention to how you feel when these things occur and always trust your gut! Thank you for joining us here!
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-27)
Hi DancingRose, like Lady Glow, I too would like to know more about your initial feelings with these encounters. Particularly when you saw the outline of a man in the reflection. You stated you got next to no sleep that night, but I would like to know if there was anything about this apparition, anything unique which made you feel a certain way.

We like to debunk and rule out physical causes first around here. It would be a good idea if you could talk to your parents about this house. This can also help rule out or rule in paranormal causes to what you have experienced. Things like the floor creaking, window left open etc are hard to determine unless you have other people or other experiences to cross reference.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I hope you continue to write more of them.
Take care.
champion (3 stories) (172 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-26)
Hi, most could be explained away except your sisters account of the drawers and doors. I realize it has been awhile as this stuff took place over several years and sometimes details are forgotten but if you remember anything please post. Things such as sudden temperature drop/rise, smells of anykind sweet/sour rotten eggs, your feelings at the time sense of dread, being watched, tingling sensations, anything different or out of place in your minds eye that could lend creedence that something more than coincidence is going on. Has anything strange happened since your move? Thank you for your story and keep us posted.

Strength and courage,
Champion
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+5
9 years ago (2015-08-26)
Dancing_Rose: welcome to YGS.
Your story is interesting, though I think some of the things you experienced there are not necessarily paranormal.
Like the open window in your grandmother's room, -did you ask your mom or dad if anyone of them opened it?
The creaking sound in the yellow room could had been anything, perhaps a bug or a mouse making its way in the wall. Keep in mind that dogs hearing is better than ours and Danny might had been just reacting to it.

Something you do not mention is your feelings during these experiences, -do you remember any changes in the energy of the room you were in?

Some other things are a little more difficult to explain, but given the size of your family there sure was a lot of energy moving in that house!
Do you remember if the activity increased as you kids got older, specially around some of the family members puberty?

I think it is important to talk to your parents and to the whole family about your experiences in that house even if you do not live there any more.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: