You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Woman At The Cemetery

Real Ghost Stories

Woman At The Cemetery

 

This sighting caught me completely by surprise. I am not sure what you would call what I saw, a ghost, apparition, spirit...

This happened about three years ago in daylight hours, about 3pm in the afternoon, but because it was so strange, I remember the experience clearly.

This event occurred in Lake Mary, Florida. I would have been 60 years of age, at the time of the occurrence, and my daughter 30. This event occurred in a cemetery, and, to protect the privacy of the cemetery, I will avoid using street names and the name of the cemetery.

We rode our bicycles often to be outdoors and to get some exercise, sometimes I rode alone, and sometimes my daughter rode with me.

It was a Saturday, the time was approximately 3 pm as mentioned. As I remember, it was a beautiful day with lots of sunshine. I was riding the bike with my daughter. Our usual route was to start from my house, ride about 2 miles on the local bike trail until we got to a local cemetery (a small cemetery, fenced by a hedge). Make a right turn into the cemetery, continue to the back of the cemetery (about ¼ mile) loop to the left, make a half circle, and ride out of the cemetery on our way back home.

Here I should say that at the time we got to the cemetery there was no one else in the cemetery, no visitors or maintenance staff.

To continue, this day my mind was clear; I was not thinking about ghosts, and I never did expect to see one in the daylight hours. We had ridden through this peaceful cemetery hundreds of times over the 15 years we had been riding the bicycle, and had never seen anything that can be categorized as strange. However, this day was the exception.

I was in the lead, and just before I got to the right turn into the cemetery, I noticed a woman seemingly walking on the sidewalk adjacent to the cemetery. When I first saw her, she seemed to be walking alongside the cemetery on the sidewalk going south. In about 10 feet she would have passed the boundary of the cemetery. When I first noticed her I had already passed her, and something caused me to look back at her. What drew my attention to the woman was her hair and strange appearance. Although she was apparently out for a walk, she was progressing very, very slowly, as if moving required great effort. In addition, the normal movements of someone who is walking could not be discerned. There was absolutely no movement of the head, arms or feet. Her hair was completely white and tied at the back. It appeared so neat, as to give the impression of a wig. I took a long look at the back of the woman and made the right turn into the cemetery.

What I saw was what seemed to be a tall woman, approximately 6' 4" in height, clad in what appeared to be a dark pink, active wear corduroy suit. I only saw her from the back, and her white hair gave the appearance of a woman.

As I continued riding I realized that the "woman" I just saw presented a very strange appearance. Although I rode past her front, I did not look at her. I only looked back at her after I had passed her. The other thing that stood out was her white hair. This bears repeating: Although she appeared to be "out for a walk", I did not notice any of the normal movements of someone walking. There was absolutely no movement of the head or arms, and I do not remember seeing any movement of the feet. As I kept looking back at this figure, it appeared that one moment she was here, another moment there, kind of like seeing someone in a strobe light.

As I rode to the back of the cemetery my mind unconsciously grappled with the image I just saw, and I rationalized it as someone being very ill, out for a walk, and unable to walk at a normal pace, and exhibit any normal movements of a walker. But I quickly realized this made no sense, because someone so ill would need an attendant.

As I kept looking back at her, she seemed to have turned back at the boundary of the cemetery, and had made a right turn back into the cemetery. My route out of the cemetery would take me past this woman again, and I planned to look at her face while riding past her; this woman now had my attention, and I had a burning desire to see her face. But, would you believe that, although I planned to look at her face, I rode past her without looking at her. I realize this may not make any sense to the reader, but I just did not look at this woman.

I rode past her and realized I did not look at her face. I immediately came up with a plan to turn around, ride past her, pretend that there was something wrong with my bike, stop, and when she was about to pass me, look at her face. However, I did not go through with this plan. When I looked back at her she was well into the cemetery and I still could not detect any movement of the head, arms, or feet.

My daughter did see the woman, and I drew her attention to the strangeness of the woman, but she did not show too much interest in what I was noticing.

We rode away, leaving the woman now deep into the cemetery, and I was still wanting to turn back and investigate further, but did not.

This encounter has bothered me and I thought about it frequently, because I now know it is the strangest thing I have ever seen, and I now think that it was a ghost, apparition, spirit, or something. I also wonder if this "woman" somehow exercised control over me during this encounter. I should add that there was no feeling of fear (it was about 3pm in the afternoon), and all the time, this "woman just kept her head very still and straight, never looking to the left or right.

I have read a lot of stories on this site, but have not come across anything similar to this experience. Although there are stories of seeing ghosts in cemeteries, I have not come across any description of the way these cemetery ghosts moved.

I am interested in learning if others have had a similar experience. Keeping in mind that this was during the day, and the person seemed to be moving or walking, but not in the usual way someone walks. There was absolutely no movement of the body discernible. No movement of the head. No swinging of the arms, and no movement of the feet. After thinking about this I realize that the average person going about their business, may not notice how strange this "person" really appeared.

The other detail that is perplexing to me is the fact that I had made a decision to ride past her and look at her face. But in passing her, I kept my head straight and did not look at her.

I doubt that what I have described here occur "all the time" at cemeteries. As mentioned above, I have ridden through this cemetery hundreds of times over the years, and never saw anything strange. I am guessing you have to be really lucky to see something like this, because I suspect this is something rarely seen. The woman appeared solid, not "see through". She seemed like a real person except for the absence of movement and the overall strangeness of her.

I still ride through this cemetery at times, I also drive past it several times a week and frequently look to see if I see the "woman", but I have never seen her again.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, matrix899, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

matrix899 (1 stories) (67 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-10-29)
Sanguirina,

Thanks for responding to my question.

The title states "woman at the cemetery", but in thinking back, I cannot say for certain it was a woman.

I thought this was a "woman" because of the hair which was tied at the back. When I think about the hair, it now reminds me of the wigs worn by men in eighteenth century Europe, as seen in the movie Armadeus.

I don't think the thought of being impolite kept me from looking at her face as planned; there seemed to have been a moment of brief 'blackout" as I passed her. This is the best way I can think of to describe what happened.

It is interesting to compare the observations of the movement of the two apparitions.

I think I read somewhere that the average person is a very unreliable observer, and typically seem to be so caught up in the emotions of the moment, that the awareness of the need to observe details is simply not there at the time.

I remember that when I saw "the woman at the cemetery", my mind was struggling to comprehend what it is that I was seeing, and I looked at the image from head to feet, taking in the details as my mind tried to understand what I was seeing. I think that is why I remember so much detail, because I was trying to understand what I was seeing.

I make these comments about observing because, since my experience, I have wondered just how reliable the descriptions of spirits, ghosts, apparitions are. I have not come across too many descriptions of the way an apparition moved. Most of the descriptions of the movements I remember, seem to describe a sliding or floating sort of movement.

The "woman at the cemetery" did not move any limbs, there was absolutely no movement, but the apparition progressed along the cemetery road as if seen in a strobe light; one moment here, another moment there.

I had hoped that more readers who witnessed a spirit or apparition would have joined in the conversation to offer some insight into what is the typical manner of movement for a ghost.

PS: something strange occurred with this sighting. After writing down the experience, my memory seemed to have been stimulated, and I remembered details I did not remember at the time of writing the experience. About two weeks after writing the experience and posting it to this site, I remembered that I did actually see her face.

After I passed the "woman", the strangeness of her appearance made me stop the bike and dismount. At the same moment, she turned around to make the right turn back into the cemetery, and I got a look at the face and shoes.

The face did not look real, but looked artificial... Like a mask. The nose was straight and very pointed, and the color seemed overdone.

Regards
Matrix899
Sanguirina (7 stories) (19 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-10-19)
Matrix899 - What a pleasurable read! I must confess that I am unable to think of any explanations for this 'woman' you saw, however... Might it be possible that you did not go through with your plan of looking at her face when you passed her, as you might unconsciously have thought it to be impolite? Perhaps that is what stopped you?

As for my own encounter, the old mans feet did move. They were however the only movement he made. He never lifted his face (His head was bent forwards alittle as he kept his eyes firmly on the road) and he kept his hands at his back the entire time. It must be mentioned that I did not look back at him more than a few times, so he might have moved when I wasn't looking.
Thank you for reading my story! And again, I really enjoyed yours!
Regards
Sanguirina
JerryB (8 stories) (189 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2015-10-25)
This story caused me to remember that when we were really young (my step brother and me) our parents would take us along on their cemetery visits; as kids will be generally bored with everything, we were nevertheless drawn to play around this one old ancient knotted tree that grew alongside the family gravesite, Just one of many such trees in the cemetery and nothing special about the cemetery location other than our connection to it. The cementary is located in Illinois.

Not to try and hijack this excellent story here... But I feel a need to tell you that my step brother, younger than me even, maybe 5 or 6, one day got all weird and said he didn't want to play anymore. That he didn't like it here and never wanted to play here again.

Nothing truly unusual about that, considering the location, but as life has its twist and turns it so happens that years later my step brother was murdered in Hawaii (I was living in Germany at the time and made a trip to Hawaii to retrieve his body). Long trip for sure as I took his remains to that gravesite in Illinois mentioned and that's where he is to-day.

It's since his burial that I recalled the aforementioned incident. I have this feeling that Eddie somehow got a look into his future that day as a youngster, where he knew he would someday spend eternity. Did he really? I don't know but wish now we had found another location just the same. Just saying...
Amzu15 (19 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-10-25)
I totally love this story and enjoyed reading it! Thanks for sharing!
WillowWaly (2 stories) (97 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-04)
matrixx899: This is one of the weirdest stories I've read here, and I love it. It's the one that finally convinced me to join just so I could 'heart' my favorites. Many thanks for sharing. 😊
matrix899 (1 stories) (67 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-08-31)
Shelbyloree, practicing moving around in this dimension is a possibility. The movement I witnessed did not appear awkward, it was just different and strange. I am not sure that ghosts would need to practice movement, they are different from a living human being, and it seems reasonable to think that they would move differently.

In Violet Tweedale's book "Ghosts I have seen", she describes a daytime ghost sighting of a young woman. She saw the young woman from behind and thought she was looking at a real person, but then she noticed that the clothing was wrong, considering the time of year and outside temperature.

As she continued to look, she realized that something was wrong. She quickened her pace, but the ghost maintained the same distance between them. She then started to run in an attempt to catch up to the ghost/apparition without any success. The ghost continued to maintain the same distance between them. Eventually, the ghost disappeared, as if someone switched her off.

I mention this sighting because it seems that the young woman (the ghost), was simply out for a walk. They were both walking on a long avenue with large beech trees bordering the avenue. It sounds like a beautiful setting. The "woman in the cemetery" also seemed to be just out for a walk, when I passed her she was on the bike trail adjacent to the cemetery.

I use the word "walk" to refer to the movement of these ghosts, but of course, they were not walking in the sense that we understand what walking is, but they were moving.

We don't really know what could be behind the actions of a ghost. My thoughts are merely speculation about the possible reason for them doing what we witnessed them doing.
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-08-31)
It seems like the idea of 'ghost' is because this thing was materializing near a cemetary. I don't think the cemetary has anything to do with it, honestly.

To me it sounds like this thing was standing still, but popping in and out at different points on the sidewalk so as to look like movement? I thought reading this, this sounds like a grey alien, LoL!

Quiet cemetary, no one around (excpet you, darn!) and a chance to "move" around in this demension, practice if you will. I agree whatever it was was practicing. The reason I say a grey is because it was very clear on you not looking at its face.

Just my 2 cents - It doesn't sound human, dead or alive, and I don't think you'll see it there again.

The idea of a transvestite ghost cracked me up. 😁
Mimi81 (203 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-30)
Matrix, I really hope the explanation doesn't happen in my lifetime. Life would be rather boring without any mysteries to ponder.
matrix899 (1 stories) (67 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-30)
Mimi81, I agree. Someday there will be a scientific explanation for ghosts/apparitions.

I read somewhere that everything existing in the universe is material. An atom, a particle, a sub-atomic particle, etc. If everything existing in the universe is material, then it means everything can we weighed and studied. I guess the problem is capturing that "something" to study it, and that is the hard part. As an example, note the incredibly complicated machines like particle accelerators to study particles.

Again, I agree. There will one day be a scientific explanation for what we are discussing. But it may not be in our lifetime.
Mimi81 (203 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-30)
Matrix, you made a good point with the lightening comment. I think the paranormal is like lightening. Someday there'll be a scientific explanation for it.
matrix899 (1 stories) (67 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-30)
Hello Jaderae,

Sorry I am responding to your comment so late. Over the past few days this subject has gotten my attention, and I have been thinking about it as I responded to the various questions and comments. It seems like a good idea to express what I am thinking about this at the present time.

You picked up on an important aspect of the ghost/apparition phenomenon that is almost never mentioned by researchers and the so-called ghost hunters, that is the fact that there are, from what we can tell from reports of ghostly encounters, various types of ghosts/apparitions, with different capabilities and different characteristics.

What I can judge about the different types of ghosts, from reading the various stories on this website and elsewhere is, the different types ghosts/apparitions are indeed quite varied. I only jutted down the variations here off the top of my head, there are more.

Even the people who have written books about this subject ignore this aspect of the phenomenon. I guess they do so to simplify their task.

There is an organization called Society Of Psychical Research, maybe they have addressed these matters, if they have, this is not generally known.

As mentioned previously, the entire question of ghosts and the paranormal contains a lot of seemingly unanswerable questions, or questions without an answer at this time.
What is the nature of ghosts?
Does a ghost have a mind, or is it more like a remnant of a mind?
Why do ghosts materialize in this world?
Are they conscious in some respects?
Why do some ghosts linger for years, while most seem to quickly move on. Etc, etc.
Why do some ghosts appear solid, while some appear see-through.
The questions are endless.
Some writers have put forth theories that address some of these questions.

And then there is the fact that there is indeed different types of ghosts or apparitions, or spirits; with different capabilities.
There are ghosts who are unable to talk, and there seem to be those that can and do talk.
There are stories that depict ghosts who interact with the living by talking, looking and acting just like a living human.
Then there are those who talk with a disembodied voice.
Then there seem to be ghosts who can communicate directly with your mind.
There are stories that also depict ghosts that do nothing but stand there and look at you.
Then there seem to be the type that is just a part of a replay of an event, they do not interact with the observer, and do not seem to notice the observer.

There seem to be ghosts who are confined to the place of their death, and ghosts who inhabit a certain place for one reason or another. There are those who seem to wander from place to place.

There seem to be ghosts who appear in their bodies at the time of death, bloodied clothes and all, and there are ghosts who appear in the clothes they died in, but the clothes and bodies are whole and neat. There are ghosts who also seem to appear younger than at the time of death, implying that some can manipulate time.

Then there are ghosts who can seemingly only use the decayed body that they have.

There are stories that depict people who have unsuccessfully tried to get near to a ghost, and there are stories of people who have actually touched and held a ghost.

All of the above boggles the mind with the complexity of this subject, and underscores the fact that the ghost/apparition phenomenon is much more complicated than the casual observer is aware of, and reality is a lot stranger and unknown than we would like to admit.

We who are fascinated with the paranormal, are interested probably because we think it offers clues to what happens to a human after death. There is also the natural tendency of people with inquiring minds to manifest a desire to solve a problem. The phenomenon of ghosts/apparitions are indeed a problem, because it is an unknown. Just like lightening flashes in the sky was an unknown a few centuries ago.

Matrix
Manafon (4 stories) (74 posts)
+3
9 years ago (2015-08-29)
Matrix899--That's great that you ordered those two books! I really think you will find them thought provoking. Both intersperse theory with well researched first hand accounts. I was, just a few short minutes ago, stunned to read in MacKenzie's "Apparitions And Ghosts" book an account of a woman who heard a phantom clock ticking that grew louder before seeing an apparition. I got goosebumps as I experienced the exact type of ticking as the start of an encounter with what I believe was the sprit of my mother last November. I wrote about this incident on this site under the title "An Invisible Clock Ticking".

I bring it up because it is an incredible feeling to read a well researched book that validates ones own paranormal experience! On the subject of books, I have a great one I just ordered but am still waiting for titled, "Apparitions And Haunted Houses: A Survey Of Evidence" by Sir Ernest Bennett. It was published in 1939 and I was lucky to find an original copy for forty dollars. The copy I ordered is without a dust jacket. There is one on Amazon with the jacket for $147 dollars! Those dust jackets really hike up the price. This book can also be obtained in online versions. I love good case study books on paranormal subjects.
matrix899 (1 stories) (67 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-29)
Manafon,

Thank you very much for the information. Your description of those events in the book is fascinating. I found copies of the two books on Amazon and ordered them, I should get them in about a week. It sounds like these will be very good reading.

I think I have come across the phenomenon of someone trying to get near to a ghost on the road, but they could not. As they approached, the ghost/apparition just seemed to move out of reach. I do not remember where I read this.

If you know if any more useful books on the subject let us know. Thanks again.

Matrix
Manafon (4 stories) (74 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-08-29)
Matrix899--I enjoyed your account of the woman in the cemetery very much. I wanted to point you in the direction of an excellent book that does bring up several instances of the walking movements of apparitions. The book is "Hauntings And Apparitions" by Andrew Mckenzie, who was a member of the Society Of Psychical Research. The copy of the book I have is from 1982 but it can be found easily on Amazon.

In a chapter titled, " A Haunted Road", the apparition of a clergyman from the eighteenth century was seen by multiple people (some multiple times) over a ten year period ending in 1900. Everyone who saw this apparition assumed it to initially have been a living person because he walked normally until he would suddenly vanish. His gait was noted by multiple witnesses as being like that of a living person.

A woman who saw this apparition more than once tried to get close to him on one occasion but, as she put it, "I could never get any closer than within a few yards, for in a moment he seemed to float or skim away." Of particular note is that the people who saw this ghost (at least on initial viewing) thought it to be a living person and so were able to note the way it walked without feeling any fear that might have tainted their perception.

The very famous Cheltenham ghost is also detailed extensively in the book. She was seen to move by nearly twenty people. In her case a long skirt hid her feet giving the impression to the viewer that she "floated". Interestingly, like the ghost of the clergyman, the Cheltenham ghost would also seem to "skim" away when a person got within a couple of yards of it. It's utterly fascinating stuff. I am presently reading an earlier book by Mckenzie titled "Apparitions And Ghosts" that delineates some extraordinarily well researched cases.
matrix899 (1 stories) (67 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-29)
Rook,

To follow up on my last comment... It has occurred to me that if I had stated, in my initial description, that "I saw the ghost of a woman in the cemetery", this would have simplified the matter. There would not be this "failure to understand" the event. But adding the detail observed in her movements is what is puzzling to everyone.

I cannot help but wonder how the average individual would describe such an observation. Most (or all) of the descriptions I have seen did not mention the way the ghost/apparition moved, so in the absence of this detail, one would be inclined to take it for granted, that the ghost moved just like a living human would.

In pondering the various descriptions of ghostly encounters on this website and elsewhere, one wonders what surprise and fear would do to someone's perception and ability to remember details.

Of course we are branching off into the realm of human perception, and the ability to absorb and describe information. But I guess this is because there seems to be a shortage of detailed description on record. Detailed description of the way the ghost appeared and moved.

The various descriptions I can recall from having read accounts on this website and elsewhere, mostly relates to the way a ghost appeared. Sometimes the way the hair looked, the skin color, the clothing, the eyes, if they are glowing, if they are younger than when they died, if injuries and scars are evident. With regard to movement, apart from a few descriptions of "floating", this is almost never described.

So I guess the existence of a detailed record of the way ghosts appeared, behaved and moved, would have helped us. But we have no such thing as far as I am aware.

Matrix
matrix899 (1 stories) (67 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-29)
Rook,

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter. As you say, one more thing to mull over.

I would think that a "time slip" would be accompanied by a similar change in the surroundings, showing the surrounding area the way it was at that time, then changing back again. This is something that would be noticeable. I did not notice any such dramatic change in the near or immediate environment.

Nevertheless, it is natural to ponder some explanation that we could wrap our minds around in an attempt to "understand" this experience.

I have merely described, as best as I could, an experience that I witnessed. Needless to say, if this was an ordinary, everyday event, it would not have received my attention. But it was not. It was strange and puzzling, and it got my attention.

As we have discussed this event, and pondered some of the possibilities, It occurred to me that this could be a "projected image". This came to mind because of all the details evident in the observation. But there are problems with this idea. Of course, if this was indeed was a projected image, we would then have to ask: who or what would project such an image, and why. So we would then have more questions to answer.

The idea of a "residual haunting" also occurred to me. My understanding of a "residual haunting" is where someone does something repeatedly over the course of their life, and leaves an "imprint" in the environment. So, when they are gone, this "imprint" periodically replays like movie. My understanding is, the ghost in a residual haunting does not interact with, or notice the observer, because this is nothing more than an event being replayed.

The idea of a "residual haunting" also has problems. In a "residual haunting" I would expect to see the ghost moving the way they did when alive, that is: moving normally. We should see fluid movement in such a haunting. This was not evident in the "woman" I observed.

Thanks again for your idea.

Matrix
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-08-29)
matrix,

My very first thought when you described the way this woman walked (for the second time in your naritive) was Mortica Adams... From both the TV show and the Movies (at least the ones where Angelica Huston played Mortica). She seemed to 'float' becasue of the way she had to walk. She also moved with little to no arm movment. So by taking that thought into account and your descripition from one of your comments... About the 3d cut out... Has made me wonder if what you witnessed was a 'time slip'...that what you saw was actually an elderly lady walking in the cemetary, when the cemetary was 'newer'. So... Not a ghost... But a living individual that you witnessed 'through' a ripple in time. That MAY account for the oddness of her movments, the 'odd' jumps in forward motion and such.

As far as forgetting to 'look' at her face... Just chalk it up to 'one of those things'...happens to me every once in a while... Plan on doing something but getting home only to realize that, while things got done' the main reason you left the house was not completed.

Anyway...more things to mull over.

Respectfully,

Rook
matrix899 (1 stories) (67 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-28)
Tweed,

First of all, thank you for your thought-provoking ideas, and thank you and everyone else for assisting in trying to understand this experience. It is really an interesting exercise.

I think we may be making some mistakes here. It seems to me that since we don't know what a ghost is, we have to be careful about assigning human qualities to them. I guess it is easy to make that error, since ghosts were once human beings. But, we are really struggling to understand something that is paranormal in nature. That could be frustrating, but I understand the human need to make sense of the world and any phenomena that we encounter.

The idea that the ghost was in high heels and focusing on balancing does not explain the stillness. Someone in high heels will most certainly exhibit movement of the hands, head and feet. In addition, someone in high heels usually has a straight back. This "woman" did not have a straight back, she was slightly slumped forward.

"I was also trying to work out why someone would do this" your words. This is a mistake. If we were talking about "someone", we would know why they are moving the way they do, because we have centuries of information to refer to. But we are not talking about "someone" here, we are talking about an unknown entity, a paranormal experience, and trying to understand details that do not fit with the everyday world that we know, or think we know.

To answer your question about movement; there was absolutely no movement of the body. You will notice that this fact is repeated three times in my initial account. This is one of the details that galvanized my attention. There was no movement discernible in the body, yet the "woman" was progressing along the path.

I understand the point you are making about human perception, our seeing apparatus brings in the information, then our brain interprets the information based on previous experiences and our own frame of reference. But remember, as soon as I realized that "something was not right" she had my attention, and I was looking.

The best way I can emphasize this absence of movement of the body is as follows: imagine a three dimensional cardboard cutout of a person that you place on the street, then move this 3d cutout along the street 4 feet at a time in an abrupt manner. This should help to convey what I was seeing, but it does not quite convey the true effect, because what seems to happen is the image disappears from one place and re-appears about 4 feet along the path. But it happens so fast that the eye does not really follow it, but you see it happening, and you see the progress; and, if you are a logical person, and paying attention, you will perceive that something is not right. If you are not seeing any movement of the body, but the person is progressing along the path, you will know that something is wrong.

Tweed, these details may not help us to understand what I saw, but that is the nature of paranormal activity at this point in time. Everything about the paranormal defies logic as we understand logic from a human point of view, and in this, the physical realm.
samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-08-28)
Mimi, I understand what you are saying, I'm merely saying there is no reason for Matrix to stop cycling through the cemetery.

Just out of interest here in the UK cycling in some cemeteries is prohibited. I'm not sure why. I love cemeteries, they are like a silent oasis encased in a bubble. For me when I visit as soon as we enter through the gates all the surrounding traffic, area noises cease. I understand why people visit because they are so tranquil, the way they should be. Matrix, continue to cycle there if you don't feel uneasy in anyway. If you bump into your friend, how will be ever know! ❤
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-28)
Grateful is mighty silly, I agree! My biggest word nemesis is 'neccessarily'. See? Can't get it right, 'e' right next to 'c' camouflages and only looks better to me with double 'c' and then there's the 'i' and 'l' of it all. 'Neccessarililily', it should be spelled like that. The world would be better off!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-08-28)
I'm generally very good at spelling but for the life of me I have to Google grateful because I always (and that includes this time LOL) misspell it. Stupid word 😉
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-28)
hahaha glad it's not just me! When I was a kid I used to type 'beer' instead of 'bear' and now I type 'bare' instead of 'bear' and I'm STILL confused! 😆
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
9 years ago (2015-08-28)
Tweed - LOL everytime I type bear with me, I have to double check and make sure I'm not asking people to get bare with me 😉
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-28)
hahahaha! That should've said 'bear with me' not what I typed, sorry!
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-28)
Matrix, some stories on here I think about for days after reading, I can tell this will be one of them! I'm so intrigued about the strange (lack of) movements!
Did you actually see her move? I know you saw her in one location then the next but was she standing still each time you looked at her?
There's got to be a clue somewhere in the posture and stillness. I'm a bit of a freakzoid and have some higher than practical heals. I've just done a little trial run of my own, trying to walk in them without moving my feet, keeping my knees together and a completely straight posture. It's possible to do this but it's very slow. The way you describe, I imagined this person was in a location as if she had 'walked' there normally, or at an impressive speed. Not someone moving along at snail pace which was the only speed I could reach keeping this composure.
I was also trying to work out why someone would do this. I keep coming back to intense concentration for this person's mood at the time. It occurred to me while holding this posture that he/she may have not been 'walking' in the traditional sense, but rather 'willing' themselves from location to location. As in concentrating on 'projecting' themselves to the next spot on the path. If this is true, maybe if this person had been walking normally they would be there, where they had 'projected' or 'teleported' (this sounds so insane I know, bare with me!) ...they would be there in that exact spot if they had 'walked' there traditionally. I don't know why someone would do this, all I can think of is practising something. The extremely straight posture suggests extreme concentration to me. You and your daughter both never saw this person 'strobe' into place, you guys only saw her in a location. I wonder if this is because a) this ghost was able to control your perception and b) you weren't wired to look for this, regardless of it playing on your mind while you were in her proximity.

I've thought a lot about public perception because of something that happens to me sometimes. This is a bit weird but every now and then I get mistaken for a mannequin or a doll or something. It ends in me moving and scaring the bejesus out of an unsuspecting member of the public. I think this is because the person whom I unwittingly scare isn't wired to view me as a person in that moment. They're subconscious is something like:
"I'm out in public right now, cool there's a vacant chair, now I'm checking my phone...WHAT, DID THAT THING JUST MOVE?!"
This is the bit where I look at them and they jump back terrified. It usually happens in libraries, where there's mascots and dolls strewn about, me sitting quietly reading. Sometimes in clothing stores, where there's mannequins standing around and me waiting for a friend to come out of the change room.
The point is I think we're wired to only perceive what we expect to. I think this is linked to you and your daughter not seeing this individual dart from one place to the next. A mix of your subconscious perception of what to expect, mixed with this individual's ability to capitalise on this by willing you not to look at key points. Maybe this person was also able to will you not to look when they moved to the next location you spotted them in. But you were unaware of this.

Personally I feel ghosts are as they were in life. My opinion is that how they present or manifest themselves is indicative of who they are and can also be a means of communication. For example someone manifesting in a uniform probably wishes to communicate something about their occupation in life.
As for how ghosts think, or are they capable of original thought, I say yes of course! I don't think this is any different to how the living experience this. We are all ghosts after all, that's my view.

I think just as we learn how to ride a bike (har har), and all other skills we acquire, similarly ghosts learn skills to interact with this dimension. Just as we're naturally good at some things, ghosts will take to some skills like ducks to water while struggling with others. I think it's very complex and, just as in life, all individuals will have strengths and weaknesses.
For us in this dimension who practice meditation, astral projection and OBE's the same sort of rules apply, we learn how to do this. We have strengths and weaknesses with it and it all requires a level of dedication and concentration.

Wow I really went off! 😳
Mimi81 (203 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-28)
Samtillie, the comments I made are based on my own experiences. I know negative experiences in a cemetery are rare, but they do happen. In fact, you can do nothing wrong and still irk a guardian.

There's not some paranormal factory mass producing entities. Each entity is an individual. It's impossible to say they will all react the same way in a situation So, you can't make the assumption that nothing bad will happen in a cemetery as long as you're respectful.
jaderae (3 stories) (29 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-08-28)
matrix899, I really enjoyed reading your comments on this. I like how you summed up how varied the range is on different types of ghosts and experiences. I often feel like we are trying to make rules or explanations for something that refuses to abide to the rules. It can be very frustrating for those, like myself, who adore order.
matrix899 (1 stories) (67 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-28)
H2olily, Yes, there are many strange aspects to the account which
Causes one to think, and you have outlined them.

The entire question of ghosts and the paranormal contains a myriad of
Seemingly unanswerable questions; at least unanswerable for now. What
Is the nature of ghosts? Does a ghost have a mind, or is it more like
A remnant of a mind? Why do ghosts materialize in this world? Are
They conscious in some respects? Why do some ghosts linger for years,
While most seem to quickly move on. Etc, etc. The questions are endless.

And then there is the fact that there seems to be different types of
Ghosts or apparitions, or spirits; with different capabilities. There
Are ghosts who are unable to talk, and there seem to be those can and
Do talk. Then there are those who talk with a disembodied voice. Then
There seem to be ghosts who can communicate directly with your mind.

There seem to be ghosts who are confined to the place of their death,
And ghosts who inhabit a certain place for one reason or another.
There are those who seem to wander from place to place.

There seem to be ghosts who appear in their bodies at the time of
Death, bloodied clothes and all, and there are ghosts who appear in
The clothes they died in, but the clothes and bodies are whole and
Neat. There are ghosts who also seem to appear younger than at the
Time of death, implying that some can manipulate time.

Then there are ghosts who can seemingly only use the decayed body
That they have.

All of the above underscores the fact that reality is a lot stranger
And unknown than we would like to admit. We who are fascinated with
The paranormal, are interested probably because we think it offers
Clues to what happens to a human after death. At the very least,
Ghosts represent a problem of existence that we would like to solve,
And one day, maybe in the distant future, humans may have the answers
To some of these questions.

Sorry, I guess I got a little carried away with the observations
About ghosts and the paranormal world, but where better to air
Thoughts like this, maybe some readers may have insight to some of
These problems.
samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
+3
9 years ago (2015-08-28)
Mimi81
You don't mention cemetery guardians as menacing, I used that word, but you did state "They seem to protect the cemetery. Some don't like people casually visiting and can get nasty about it. You might want to reconsider riding through it" and stated "why take a chance?" Presuming that they can be "nasty" menacing. I casually visit the cemetery and I also have a stroll throught it reading peoples headstones and other personal effects and nothing has ever happened to me. I also take my 3 year old daughter and explain to her it's a special place and she has to be good. What I am trying to say is if you treat these places with respect there is nothing wrong with strolling, walking, riding through a cemetery. Matrix should continue to ride through, why change a habit of many years. No offense intended 😊
H2olily (5 stories) (158 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-27)
So many creepy aspects to this account from the unexpected afternoon hour of the sighting, to the clothing, the height of the 'woman', the lack of normal movement to the 'walk', the 'un-scary' tone of the event (that, in retrospect, is terrifying!), the quiet cemetery, the disinterest of your daughter, the perfect white hair, your inability to look directly at the person for whatever reason... So many rational explanations are possible, but We. Will. Never. Know! Someone from out of town, intent on finding their loved one's headstone!?! Would it be possible to which cemetery? I like to look them up on findagave from time to time, no harm intended to anyone. Thank you for sharing.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: