You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: A Rusty Wheel Brought Dark Thoughts

Real Ghost Stories

A Rusty Wheel Brought Dark Thoughts

 

This story is about very recent events at my home.

I recently submitted a story on behalf of my husband called "The Cadejo". Yesterday, August 24, I was updating him on what the comments on the story were, and stated that people were interested if he had more stories. He confirmed that he had no more personally, but that he knew of a lot of stories from other people, and folk stories from his hometown. We discussed finding a forum somewhere to share them with anyone who would be interested.

After dinner and watching some TV, we headed to bed at the normal time, and since it was warm here, we had our windows open. Our room has four large windows, and we live on a quiet paved road in the countryside. Our house is situated on a nearly 90 deg turn in the road, and the bedroom is on that corner of the house, so we easily hear traffic or neighbors walking from one side to the other, especially with the windows open.

I awoke at approximately 1:30am to a strange noise coming from the road. The night was pretty still, and I stayed in bed listening to it without moving. I heard a squeaking rusty wheel sound that reminded me of the sound my old wheelbarrow makes. I listened to it as it took the corner of the road and continued down the street, past our house and down the road until it was approximately in front of our neighbors' home (spaced a bit away). It was moving slowly, I would say at the same speed as a walk.

As the sound of the wheel passed our house, the dog across the street started barking madly. For some reason, at this moment, I remembered that I had left the sprinkler on in the back yard. And although there are no water restrictions here, I felt guilty for overwatering so I nudged my husband and told him that I would turn off the sprinkler and be right back.

I hopped out of bed, down the stairs, slipped on my flip flops, and headed out my front door with my red-light flashlight in hand. The moment I stepped out of my door, the dog across the street stopped barking. I should point out that my front door is actually placed on the side of the house, and set back away from sight of the dog. But if you walk forward a few steps on to my front porch, you can see about 270 deg, and I can see down about 4 houses down the road.

Although we lived in the country, there have been the odd wanderer or stranger, so I left my light off while I scanned the neighborhood. Granted, I don't have night-vision, but nothing seemed out of the ordinary. I walked down the front steps to the side of the house and turned off the spigot (the hose from there led to the back yard), and returned to my porch. I looked around again, and stood quietly, trying to listen for anything. I heard nothing, and went inside.

As soon as I stepped past the threshold, the dog started the incessant barking again. I shut the door behind me and returned to the bedroom. My husband had been woken up by me and went to the bathroom and returned to bed, immediately tossing and turning trying to get comfortable. I laid down, and a flood of negative thoughts and memories hit me. I got angry and annoyed at people and past incidents that I thought I had long gotten over. The dog was still barking loudly, and I finally decided to shut the windows and turn on the a/c unit to drown him out. It worked, the barks were faintly audible over the hum of the a/c. The negative thoughts continued, though.

Eventually I fell into a fitful sleep. I dreamt of nightmares, and kept tossing and turning and waking myself up by being uncomfortable. I could tell my husband was also having a rough sleep, and I felt bad for nudging him, thinking that waking him in the night must have led to him unable to get back to sleep.

In the morning, as we were driving into town, I apologized for waking him. He said it was ok, and that he wanted to know that I had gone outside, but just that he had nightmares and couldn't get a decent rest. I told him I had nightmares too. Then I mentioned the squeaky wheel I had heard that woke me up to begin with.

He interrupted me and said "that means someone will die" in a very serious voice.

I said "What do you mean?"

He replied, "In Nicaragua, they say that Death travels on a rusty wagon pulled by two animals, and he stops in front of the house of someone who will die. Some people say it's the Devil, some say it's Death, either way it's a bad omen."

"It passed our house," I said.

"So then if the folkstory is true, one of our neighbors will die." He said.

I went on to tell him about the barking dog. My husband thought about it, then said he thinks that the dog was seeing something I couldn't. Another strange thing is that our two dogs, who were inside with us, did not bark or make any sound, nor try to follow me outside. They usually accompany me when I go out the door, but since they made no attempt to follow and I wanted to quickly get the water off, I didn't call for them. Both dogs were sitting side by side in the foyer, waiting for me when I came back in. They never barked or reacted to the dog across the street, which is not in character for them. And the negative thoughts, they were overwhelming. I feel really rattled from last night.

I shared this story this morning with a friend who watches my dogs when we are out of town, and she was not surprised at all that something weird happened. She stated that she usually feels uncomfortable in the house, she always closes the bedroom door so she feels safe, and she avoids the basement completely.

I was surprised to hear this, because that house is comforting to me, although personally, the basement used to feel dark and menacing to me too, and my husband finds it dark and creepy, and my black lab would refuse to go down there except to pass through to the garage. My other dog would stay in the room if I was in there, but never by himself. I always assumed the reason the room felt that way was because the paint colors were dark and the windows were heavily curtained. Only last weekend did I clean the basement from top to bottom and opened the curtains and rearranged furniture to try to make it more usable, and its made a difference to me. We have started using the room for gaming.

In discussing this incident, my husband and I realized we've never blessed our home. In all other homes I've bought, I first put a ring of salt around the entire perimeter before sleeping there the first night, but in our current house, it was a fixer-upper and under construction for the first couple of months and I must have forgotten. One of my coworkers has recommended a sage cleansing, and we will likely make a prayer circle with our dogs in the middle and ask for protection for our little family, but any other suggestions are welcome.

Other hauntings by jaderae

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Washington

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jaderae, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

jaderae (3 stories) (29 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-02)
I wanted to post an update: Strangely, my neighbor two houses down did pass away 3 months after I submitted this story, although she was elderly. I have not heard the wheel sound again, but I pay more attention to noises around me and I've noticed that the traffic on a nearby road sometimes sounds as if its on my street. Like so many things, this could all have been coincidences.

However, the feeling of dread I had was real. But on the bright side, I have not had another incident similar to what I experienced in this story.

I took my friend's advice and blessed the house with sage, which made me feel a lot better.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-02)
Jaderae: in Mexico it is said that "donde el buho canta, un indio muere" (where an owl hoots, an Indian dies). It makes me wonder how much truth there's behind every and each belief of the different cultures of the world... And how much imagination.
For instance, the use of salt like protection against negative energies and the belief that spilling salt brings bad luck, isn't it contradictory?

Did any of your neighbors pass away that night? 😐
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-01)
Jaderae thank you for sharing this. It's always so interesting to learn about different folklores and I very much enjoyed learning from your experience. Your husband is so well informed!
Dogs have an extremely acute sense of smell. Believe it or not the barking dog could probably smell you the second you opened the door. Even if this dog's home was quite a distance across from your door. This probably explains the timing of when he stopped and started barking again.
I do hope all your neighbours are okay and glad you two are! 😊

Thank you for sharing, take care.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: