You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Armchair Silhouette

Real Ghost Stories

Armchair Silhouette

 

A couple of years ago we threw out our old armchairs and sofas for some new ones which we received from a family friend of ours. This new set was completely normal; nothing creepy about them and they didn't seem particularly old or anything like that.

We placed them in our living room so that when you enter the armchair is a couple of feet in front of you and the back is facing you at a slight angle so you can still see some of the left arm rest (sorry for the bad explanation).

Every time I used to enter the living room I used to see a silhouette of a person sitting on that arm chair. The silhouette wasn't dark or like a shadow, it was just like a faint white outline of something that looked like an (old?) man with short hair. It used to creep me out a bit but didn't stop me from entering and staying in the living room, as I wasn't completely freaked out or feeling threatened and I only ever saw that silhouette when entering the living room (I never saw any full apparitions/heard anything that seemed to match that silhouette at all).

I was probably around 10 or 11 at the time we received this arm chair so it may have been an overactive imagination (I was very interested in the paranormal at the time) or maybe even a trick of the light. However, I used to see the silhouette every time I entered the living room whether it was day or night or light or dark in the room which makes me think perhaps a family member of the friends who gave it to us died in that chair, was attached to it or just liked that particular armchair.

I know this story isn't the most interesting of them all and we have since gotten rid of that set for a new one, but I always still wonder if what I saw was an actual ghost/spirit or just a trick of the light/an overactive imagination. Thanks for reading and any comments regarding what this could have been are appreciated.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Carisma_848, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Carisma_848 (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2015-10-20)
Sorry for my late replies but I have been extremely busy 😢.

Xakie:
Thanks for your comment, I have heard that teenagers/pre-teens are quite sensitive to spirits seeing as they are much more emotional so it does make sense.

Tweed:
That's actually a really interesting explanation and definitely makes sense too. I watched a documentary once about how footprints of early humans were preserved in sands on a beach in Liverpool, so I guess this could be used to explain that man who I always saw.

Bibliothecarius:
Thanks for the little English lesson, I have always been quite self-conscious of language since my sister always corrects me even when I'm speaking 😐. Hahaha, anyway, I'm not sure if the living room was part of the church but it was definitely part of the school (being a classroom) until it had been converted, so the idea of the armchair coinciding with a piece of furniture that used to be there in the past sounds possible. If this theory was true, then the room must've existed as part of the church because I doubt a rather large (and old?) man would be sitting at a desk in a primary school 😆.

LoveOfAbundance:
Thank you, I'm glad you liked it!
LoveOfAbundance (2 stories) (27 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-09)
Your story was very engaging and believable. I enjoyed reading it.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+3
9 years ago (2015-09-05)
Greetings Carisma.

I think Tweed is most likely correct, in that this manifestation seems not to have moved from the chair, or to have noticed you or interacted with anyone based upon your description. Which brings me to my personal observation: your description of the chair's location was not the most elegant prose ever crafted by a Briton (Chaucer, Shakespeare, Ben Jonson, John Keats, Gerard Manley Hopkins, Virginia Woolf can rest easily in their respective sepulchres); HOWEVER, it was a perfectly comprehensible description of the chair's location to anyone who has ever placed a chair near a doorway so that the chair faces into the room, not out of it. NEVER apologize for sensible prose which makes the key point. As an English Teacher, my first objective is for my students to write just enough to clarify what they mean; unrequested explanations over-complicate the facts and confuse people. I ran through a couple of "corrections" for your writing, and each of them used more words but made the passage more difficult to read. Please do not be self-conscious about your writing; there are posters on these pages who genuinely make me scratch my head in bewilderment, and they were posting from countries in which English is a (or the) primary language.

One alternate idea did occur to me. You live in a church which your dad converted into a residence, but the church was part of a school, too. Was your living room an area wholly-created by your dad (i.e., built out of a portion of the original narthex or an apse chapel), or was it already a relatively comfortable room which your dad modernized? If the latter is the case, it MAY have been a small faculty room for the school, the vicar's study, or some other room supposed to provide a comfortable ambience, and your family's placement of the chair coincided with some previous item of furniture from the building's history, triggering the imprint's brief reappearance whenever you entered the room. This is highly speculative, I confess, and less likely than Tweed's interpretation, but I thought that it couldn't hurt to share it with you.

Take care,
-Biblio.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-04)
Hi Carisma,

It's very possible the man you saw was a residual energy. This isn't a ghost in the traditional sense. It's a imprinted moment in time, like a photo, or a piece of footage. If such a man reclined in this chair enough over the years, it stands to reason he would leave an energy imprint on it.
So, in this case, the actual ghost of the man you saw could have been anywhere and no where near your home or that chair. But a fragment of his lifetime remained there. Like a photo on the wall.

Thanks for sharing.
Take care.
Xakie (8 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-02)
...Your story I can relate and I do believe that there was a spirit attached to that chair I do not believe it was an overactive imagination. Since around that age is when we are most intuitive to spirits.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: